Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
When and where do new numbers for number of infected, dead, recovered, come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

TheBuilder posted:

they are awful, don't be fooled by his lies

Yeah I have to remind myself that when he's complimenting a modern MRE he's comparing it to a depth of experience that includes beef from the late 1800's.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Don't MREs require water though for the ration heater things?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The only way to prevent the disease is abstinence.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Sneak Lemming posted:

Most checks are for fever, or rely on self-reporting. To be fair if you thought you had the virus why would you hide it and not seek medical attention?

Denial.

Healthcare cost.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

News here has gone into panic mode about the economy. Is it as bad as they're making out?

Kind of on a knife's edge. Either it's about to bounce back slowly or next week will have a day with a Wikipedia page named "Black _____day 2020".

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bronze Fonz posted:

Filmed yesterday: line in Honolulu Costco running the entire length of the store as people buy water and toilet paper en masse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcv24BacUA

I can kinda understand toilet paper, because the idea is if it's a bad outbreak going out to get stuff like that is risky.

But why water? Do they think the water pumps are gonna get sick?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Lol no wonder people over there are making GBS threads themselves over this thing

That and people have very little trust in the government to handle it correctly or transparently.

Our president now thinks it's a hoax and all CDC communication has to pass through Mike Pence first.

Furthermore, it's clear their highest concern is making sure the magic stock market numbers go up, rather than preventing or mitigating an epidemic, so they could shy away from solutions out of fear of triggering more selling.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm in Ohio, nobody seems to be pillaging the stores yet.

Probably because at least 40% of the people here take Trump's word as gold and think this is a hoax. Once they panic it will be a Chinese super weapon.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

spf3million posted:

My Trader Joe's located smack dab in the middle of the two community-spread Northern California cases was 100% normal. Maybe even less busy than usual for a Saturday. All of the shelves were stocked fine.

Clearly everyone is already dead

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

It’s that cykostine storm(?) thing everyone goes on about isn’t it?

I don't think I've heard anything about this virus causing cytokine storm. In fact I think that would cause the opposite kind of people to die, as cytokine storm makes the virus much more deadly for people with healthy immune systems.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Yeah it's pretty consistent with the whole thing about testing guidelines in the US being garbage so lots of potential cases went untested.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think if that happened to either party it would possibly doom the replacement.

This election though it would be extra doomed because the DNC would just hand pick some lovely centrist to replace him.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Munin posted:

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the US deaths are currently under-counted, not due to any conspiracy, simply because they are not being noticed.

Yeah I mentioned this earlier, but our flu season spiking around the time this would have entered the US really could be masking some deaths especially considering pneumonia tends the be the fatal complication with both.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

apparently my wife's parents still want to go on the cruise they booked for the 4 of us (her mom is 78 and her dad is 74) and don't want to lose the money they spent on it lol

it's not til july so there's no point in arguing about it now it might just cancelled but i don't think there's any way we can responsibly let them go on that

Similarly I'm trying to talk my wife out of taking her mom to a concert for her birthday in a month and setting up the idea we may need to cancel our trip to California in July.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

either elected officials are getting this at a tremendously unlikely rate or this poo poo is actually already everywhere.

Yeah, the difference is that elected officials get tested rather than told they aren't dying yet so they can't be part of our daily test limit.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Lodin posted:

For once Games Workshop have the right idea. They have Space Marines installed in the main office bathrooms that yell at you if you don't wash your hands properly.

https://twitter.com/BitsHammer/status/1237586916876226560?s=20

A plague marine should be there to welcome you and tell you about papa nurgle.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

what if you made really tiny viruses to infect this virus and kill it

They've tried this with some diseases. It's caused virophage therapy.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Can't determine if this is reliable or not, but my wife got a news alert that says a doctor in Italy says they're not putting anyone over 60 on respiratory equipment anymore. This is different than the UK thing a few days ago.

https://www.jpost.com/International/Israeli-doctor-in-Italy-We-no-longer-help-those-over-60-621856

That's similar to what we heard weeks ago that in hard hit hospitals they are triaging people over 65 or with multiple serious comorbidities who need ventilators as expected and basically leaving them to die.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

Are they at least getting morphine or something?? Christ...

They didn't elaborate that I remember. It was basically one detail in a series that could be summed up as "once the hospital is overwhelmed, it's really bad".

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1242497692997206022?s=21

Goddammit Italy you were supposed to be trending downward

That's actually still down from peak and pretty flat with the last few days looking at new cases. They might be at an inflection point in their curve.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those people in Lansing were just the typical MAGA CHUDS. If it's just random people then I will be concerned. But polling suggests that the majority of people are taking this seriously and understand why we are doing quarantines/lockdowns.

For what it's worth, the worst fights I've seen on Facebook is on pro-lockdown posts by people who are usually MAGA chuds. The other chuds just launch an all out assault, and the less crazy ones waded right into the fight against them. That usually unbreakable wall of fantasy broke for a lot of them. So I genuinely believe that there is solid majority support of the lockdown. Part of the problem is that it seems like it's made the hardened ones support it even less.

In a way it's nice to see them seeing their own bullshit unmasked against them in those fights. They seemed surprised that the echo chamber they lived in could suddenly turn against them so violently.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

its a matter of reporting, not actually deaths. people in china/italy/USA are just dying at home of "pneumonia" and not being counted

Yeah, from what I could figure yesterday, using data up to 2 weeks old, we're over double the pneumonia deaths expected by this time of year. That's excluding the covid-19 related ones.

The dumbest way this could end up would be idiots saying "What's the big deal? We noticed nobody was dying, ended the shutdown and still only 50k died. Geez stuff like pneumonia killed 20 times that in 2020, get a clue!"

Edit: even worse, maybe they find a way to blame the deaths on the shutdown. Like using extreme old person logic that all those people died of pneumonia because they didn't get enough fresh air because of quarantine.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 16, 2020

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

What was the control?

If I recall the control group was a group of covid-19 positive people receiving care but not HCQ.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Nurge posted:

The problem is you can't keep people doing this for that long. People are literally going crazy because they're not used to being alone. Like a year is pushing it.

Yeah this would likely require a massive change in the way people live. On the social front, a lot of people are going to go insane. On the economic front, governments would have to almost go full on Communist to not starve their populations. Then in places like the US you have a swathes of people who would want to shoot at the government about that, which is tons of fun.

The thing that scares me the most here is that over time the idea of "getting it over with" may become more and more popular. Especially with politicians. The problem is, that is largely based on the idea that this would be like the flu, where it spreads and kills really bad for a year or so, then becomes endemic and becomes more mild. What I'd be worried about is that assumption being wrong and us ending up with an endemic disease with a mortality rate anywhere from 1 to 5%. Basically decimating humanity until we develop a vaccine or rapid cure.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

While i've argued the same before when some people were claiming Wuhan had 40 000 covid deaths, it also needs to be kept in mind that "everyone stays home" also means the data gets muddled by certain types of other deaths being reduced.

This. Last I looked, overall deaths were only at 88% of what we expect.

Pneumonia deaths, that totally aren't covid-19 no no no, were up over 200% from where you'd expect from what I could tell from the CDCs own stats.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Jeza posted:

I'm sure there is some useful analysis out there, but it's very difficult to gain useful insight by comparing year on year flu deaths. 200% increase is honestly nothing when it comes to flu. Some years have 2,000%+ more fatalities than the last. In the UK, last year was extremely mild with sub 2000 deaths. In 2014/15 it was almost 30,000.

I have no idea how bad the current flu strain is meant to be, all I can say is that lots of old people will be dying of both flu and coronavirus and a rise in pneumonia deaths is not necessarily indicative of fudging numbers on corona, though it's not at all out of the question.

This was pneumonia deaths, of which the same CDC stats said only around ~5k of the now 45k pneumonia deaths were flu. Additionally the stats included only ~5k coronavirus deaths. So we have almost a year's worth of pneumonia deaths, even if you exclude the flu ones and covid deaths. In a normal year you'd expect to be around 15k to 20k, and that's assuming an even larger share than normal for January Thru March.

I'm not necessarily saying there is a cover up mind you, but there really might be something like 5 to 10k deaths mislabeled as pneumonia for all kinds of reasons.

It's also worth noting that these stats are up to 14 days old and that number of pneumonia deaths seems to be rising about 1000 per day for the last few days. So the current number could be significantly higher.

I'm not sure if we could use these numbers that well now, but in the future, pneumonia deaths might be a good category of you were trying to get an estimate of undercount.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Oh yeah, depends on what the interpretation of "died at home" is, AND 359 is a significant jump to the data from the past days too. Makes sense. :)
At least they're not doing what germany does.

yesterday:

today:

All of the yellow bits? That's the new cases the RKI added to its data on that day, but redistributed according to date of diagnosis. And on the next day they turn blue. This way the graph is *always* going down, and it's actually noticable from german politics that a lot of people are falling to that misinterpretation of the graph.

Ohio does this too with their graphs they release daily.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Australia has tested almost 500,000 and only had a confirmation rate of about 1.5%. The mortality rate for those was about 1%. I'd still say that the mortality rate for this is much higher than the flu.

That 1%ish mortality also matches the cruise ship results and the South Korea results where they tested everyone with any contact at all to an infected person.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

shovelbum posted:

like tiger king says a lot about the chud psyche, its a deep dive, im pretty sure "jeff" is the ur-chud

It's really wild how much of the root of the whole thing was a bunch of creepy sex pests.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
One of the dumbest things is that whenever I see someone saying what they think should open up, it's whatever is directly inconveniencing them.

We're they planning on getting Lasik? Oh then eye doctors!

Do they hate coloring their hair at home! Hair dressers!

Do they go out to eat a lot? Restaurants should be first!

Of course if they work in any of those. That's what should be first.

Also, Ohio seems to still be going forward with opening May 1. Nice going from arguably one of the best responses to the worst. The governor is still nebulous on what that means, but from his remarks I feel like it's starting by lifting the stay at home order.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

it really sucks this was a virus and not something bacterial

the world is ready to start phage therapy for bacterial infections and it would have led to a huge global scientific boom if we could turn efforts in that direction

elimination of antibiotics, healthier livestock, better food, etc

oh well

Aren't virophages a thing?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, in like a month or two when 10k or so are dying daily in the US, they'll be calling it a second peak when it's just that we didn't even wait for the peak to start opening up.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
All of it is deleted

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Lol it's probably one of his dumb social media polls where the options are "I approve of President Trump and love my country" and "I hate America and believe the lies told by the deep state!"

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

In Wisconsin in the US traffic was down 50% but fatalities were up 50% because only the absolute stupidest people are on the road apparently

I know I've seen speculation it might also be related to drunk driving by people who are just drinking constantly with all their new found spare time.

Maybe I'll go out for a spin and see how terrifying the roads are with only morons on them.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

dudeness posted:

re: dick armored core. I'm not sure what "shower" means but I assume it's gooood?

A shower is a dick that's big flaccid as opposed to a dick that's big when hard, but small flaccid.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

This is an interesting turn of events

How many times has this guy been reported dead in his life already?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The White Castle by me used to have fried clam strips. I dunno why I used to order those so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Trump's approval ratings have not moved. He actually got a temporary "increase" from the coronavirus response before they went back to normal. His numbers there are remarkably stable.

Even Trumpers that acknowledge the virus tend to just pin any problems on literally anyone else.