Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

monkeytennis posted:

Whitty and that Patrick guy seem pretty switched on to me. What they are saying sounds like it make sense.

What will happen if everyone stays home? Will the virus just die out and be gone when everyone comes outside in a couple of weeks? Or is it a case of ‘when not if’ in terms of whether most of us will end up catching or not?

Love him or hate him I’d rather have BoJo saying “yes this will kill people” than that fat orange turd the US have tweeting out bullshit and lies like “someone else did it, I don’t know anything about it”.

the government following a plan devised by well respected scientific advisors, that's what you want isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

bollig posted:

Switzerland is sort of botching this. The Federal government had a press conference and shut businesses and stuff. And have really tried to emphasize "stay home" but are in no way enforcing it. The total number of cases is unknown because they rely on the cantons to report. There are like 3 different official tallies. It is astounding how many old people are out and about. This country certainly has a "meh I'll be fine attitude" which otherwise gives confidence but couple with "well I've got to live my life" means just a slow reaction to this thing.

looks like there are several other smaller counties in EU doing essentially the same thing. locking down but with so many exceptions.

got to wonder if it is but just going to end up making things worse by starting the economic damage earlier and making everybody even more complacent.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Tafferling posted:

Yeah, that facebook chain really did the rounds all over the world.
Also, old people drinking every 15 minutes... better stockpile on diapers.

Facebook is going to be an absolute menace. especially once lock down induced cabin fever hits populations that doing experience it every winter.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

So yeah turns out that us health care workers don't have access to protective gear due to critical shortages of masks.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/system-doomed-doctors-nurses-sound-nbc-news-coronavirus-survey-n1164841

Turns out random people sucking up the supply for themselves with limited benefits is not a good thing at all, who would have guessed.

good job trump can't go 5 minutes without insulting the worlds largest producer of masks.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Ralph Crammed In posted:

One of our neighbors asked in group chat if anyone had any eye protection goggles like for home projects or fireworks protection for her husband to use, who is a doctor. So it's not just America that is woefully under-equipped for this.

yeah, it's a massive problem because most of the worlds production is in China. so once China shutdown everybody was scrambling for supply.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I work for a medical device manufacturer and the factory is running like clockwork without all the office staff on site. granted production is about a quarter of normal but staff levels have been reduced accordingly. turns out if the operators are left to get on with their jobs they are actually quite good at them. certainly feels like at least some of the absent staff make negative contributions by disrupting others.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
in an alternative reality where the virus leaked from a lab and China admitted it there would be a theory of instead came from a wild animal. with the exact same people arguing for the conspiracy and using it as an excuse to hate on the Chinese.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

the selection of the counties is the massaging there.

not that the USA and UK response has been good but what use is comparing them to counties with low populations and low numbers of international travel?

stinch fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 6, 2020

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
EU has a population of 446 million.

population of the 6 EU countries with good graphs 31 million.

EU GDP 19 trillion USD

GDP of the 6 EU countries with good graphs 1 trillion USD.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
i'm getting the impression that for many american states after they open up they aren't shutting down again no matter what.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

it's very cool that we are out of glass

everybody has learnt now. get it before it can be stolen by the feds and sold back to you at inflated prices by trump cronies.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
Americans value the strong individual and also loving over other people.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Blistex posted:

Every time Trump makes a point of telling the media he talked with another world leader (usually in the context that he was sharing his invaluable advice), that leader should make a point of tweeting back the next day that no such conversation occurred (even if it did).

they don't want his attention. they are busy exploiting his incompetence to lessen the US influence on the world to their advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Bleusilences posted:

Could you imagine if the second american revolution would be named the COVID wars?

there is going to be so much mud slinging and blame pinning after the scale of the impact on the economy becomes clear who knows what it will be called.