Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Robot Style posted:

There was also an early idea (later implemented for the B-Wing) that the Falcon's cockpit would be able to rotate, with the pilots remaining stationary while the rest of the ship moved around it,

Bad Boy of Star War Dash Rendar got that feature.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

did anybody ever figure out the situation wrt dash rendar having tires on his shoulders

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jazerus posted:

did anybody ever figure out the situation wrt dash rendar having tires on his shoulders

you can't suck all the mystery out of life, it turns out

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Falcon went through a number of revisions between the Blockade Runner style ship and the saucer we ultimately got.

Some behind-the-scenes stuff from the time refers to the new design as the "manta ray ship" - and a manta ray feels more likely as a point of inspiration than a hamburger with a bite taken out of it. Some storyboards of the new design had a pretty smooth hull, without even an exterior cockpit. Over time it picked up additional details, such as the sensor dish, guns, and cockpit.

There's also this design, which blends more of the Blockade Runner elements with the newer saucer shape.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jazerus posted:

It was the 90s. If a comic book character didn’t have big shoulders, he couldn’t be cool

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently the shoulder pads were a result of Dash being the player character of an N64 game, and they needed a way to attach his low-poly arms to his body in a way that only looked a little hosed up.

As for why they were tires specifically, they might have been inspired (consciously or otherwise) by the segmented padded curves that are all over the inside of the Falcon, which might subconsciously read as "smuggler".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought of it a little like the Millennium Falcon is a flying saucer with its shape tweaked to be more rocket-like (along with some other weird bits).

As opposed to the starship Enterprise, which was a flying saucer stuck onto the end of a rocket.

That was the main reason, yes.

Also the Space: 1999 Eagle became the Millennium Falcon

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Robot Style posted:

There's also this design, which blends more of the Blockade Runner elements with the newer saucer shape.

Huh, this one later turned up as the YT-2000 freighter in X-Wing Alliance, with the Falcon being a YT-1300. I never knew it was straight-up originally a design for the Falcon.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently that photograph was only recently discovered, when they were working on Solo and digging through the Lucasfilm archives for any old concept art that might be useful to depict the pre-ANH version of the ship. It seems that both the artists for the game and the original movie hit on the idea of "put a cockpit in the mandibles" independently, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that ship turn up somewhere down the road now that the design's been unearthed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes a lot of basic sense to put the cockpit at the front and center of the craft, because that's how all aircraft work. Otherwise there's just a whole lot of your field of view that is going to be blocked. Especially if you're making a flight sim type of game. X-Wing Alliance did cheat with the way it rendered the Millennium Falcon cockpit by just showing you the view from the center of the craft, but they made their own YT ship where they didn't have to cheat, the Otana. It still managed to recreate its own weirdness to compensate for fixing some of the Falcon's weirdness, and preserved the "mandible" look even while sticking a rocket fuselage into the middle. Maybe if the ship ever comes back again, somebody could try depicting it as rotating its cockpit.

I don't really remember how they rendered the turret seat in the game or whether they placed the turret view perpendicular to the ship, but the way that they made a much more elevated room for the turret and put windows all around does seem to imply that when designing the ship, they thought more about somebody in the turret needing to see along the plane of the ship. It's also a lot like what Star Wars Galaxies did when they made their attempt at an "imperial" version of the Millennium Falcon, the VT-49 Decimator.

https://i.imgur.com/JRPyqMr.mp4

Except with the Decimator, those windows are actually where the real cockpit is. The turrets I guess just don't have a big window and probably use some kind of smaller sights. The window down below is just an observation port. From a naval perspective, it's actually pretty normal for ships to be run from the rear instead of the front. With planes, visibility is a major concern because pilots need to react instantly to if they see something wrong, but on the ocean, most of the time you don't need that kind of instant reaction. You're not gonna fall out of the sea if you steer wrong. There can be people on other parts of the ship relaying information to the helm for steering. The only time you really need to be precise is when docking, and even then most big ships just end up getting other boats to move them into place.

So I assume that the Millennium Falcon has a bunch of instruments for helping being precise when docking and landing and a bunch of other instruments for long-term navigation so they could afford to put the cockpit out to the side as just a backup system, but nobody's tried making a really granular YT-1300 flightsim with manual landing/takeoff to depict what those instruments would even be. There has to be some kind of proximity system for all those Falcon flying in extremely close quarters scenes.

And then the VCX-100 in Rebels both went with a central cockpit and also straight-up ball turrets for its guns, taking the B-17's scheme for its nose gun. It's a design that really makes you think more about 3D space, which you'd expect from CGI artists. It might also help that the Ghost is a bit bigger than the Falcon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It makes a lot more sense that the Falcon would fly with instruments rather than needing a big clear cockpit view. That's how every modern non-baby-tier pilot flies, and modern engineering hasn't even figured out hyperspace yet.

OTOH, space in Star Wars is just the ocean in three dimensions. Plus you need room for wizards and robots to duel on the outside while you're doing space stuff. So who the gently caress knows.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It makes a lot more sense that the Falcon would fly with instruments rather than needing a big clear cockpit view. That's how every modern non-baby-tier pilot flies, and modern engineering hasn't even figured out hyperspace yet.

If you're flying by wire in a ship prone to collisions or being shot at, why would you put the cockpit on an exposed corner? It doesn't make any sense any way you look at it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cease to Hope posted:

If you're flying by wire in a ship prone to collisions or being shot at, why would you put the cockpit on an exposed corner? It doesn't make any sense any way you look at it.

It's not at center mass of the thing, in a way that could maybe make better odds when meeting guided or human aimed munitions. Headshots dude

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Visibility when hauling cargo

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's a freighter. The cockpit is off to the side so it can see around whatever gigantic cargo is clamped into its jaws

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of crazy lore for the Millennium Falcon from nerds attempting to justify and confirm Han Solo's bragging over his lovely car. Like at the factory where it was assembled, it accidentally activated and destroyed the assembly line. And the outlaw scientist Klaus Vandagante created its overpowered hyperdrive unit to create a streamlined spacetime pocket so it can be a rank 0.5 (in the weird ranking system of Star Wars hyperdrives where 1 is usually the fastest).

During the Clone Wars a guy named Jorn Kulish piloting a Z-95 in the defense force of one outer rim sector who ran bombing runs with plasma charges that released blinding flashes of lights when they went off. In order to counteract this, pilots were given helmets with totally opaque visors to wear when the blast went off to shield their eyes and fly blind. Being voluntarily blind was almost as bad as being blinded by plasma charges, and he almost crashed into a mountain on the last bombing run. He quit in frustration and booked a trip on a freighter called the Stellar Envoy to go somewhere else to live his life. At some point in the process he tossed his helmet into a back room, where it would stay for something like 30 years until some old guy fished the helmet out of the backroom of the renamed freighter to use as a training aid for his budding apprentice.

Because that makes so much more sense than a sci-fi welding mask.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Up Circle posted:

coran horan is an elite fighter pilot, a crack shot, a tender lover(big dick), a badass jedi who doesn't play by the rules, a leader of men, and an elite space cop. all of this is established in the text by showing not telling. Sounds like you're just jealous.

Every book with Corran Horn features slender dark haired women throwing themselves at him. Even after he marries one of them, I, Jedi has her get kidnapped, so he goes undercover with a slender dark haired pirate queen who tries to gently caress him for the entire book.

The main villain of the Rogue Squadron books is another slender dark haired woman who has a weird domination/humiliation relationship to the POV bad guy character, Kirtan Loor. Michael A Stackpole has a type and he wants you to know about it.

Kirtan Loor posted:

Though he would have put her age at a dozen years older than his own, he found her attractive. Tall and slender, she wore her black hair long, and the white streaks descending from her temples made her seem more exotic than middle-aged. Her face appeared classically beautiful to him. A strong jaw, sharp cheekbones, a high forehead, a gracefully small nose, and large eyes were all the elements that most women would have killed to possess, or would have paid to have given to them.

Even as he catalogued all the bits and pieces of her that should have triggered some sort of lust in him - and the aura of power surrounding her was terribly exciting - fear overrode any glimmerings of carnal desire. When she looked at him, with dark brows accenting her eyes, he knew where the menace dwelt in her. One eye was ice-blue - as cold as Hoth and as cruel as a Hutt in a sporting mood. The other eye, the left one, was a molten red, with golden highlights that flashed with fiery determination. The left eye told him that any effort by him that was not fully devoted to her service would be met with the bloodless retribution promised by her cold right eye.

Kirtan Loor posted:

"Tremble you shall, little man. In ignoring me, you have angered my mistress, and I suspect her anger can be decidedly lethal."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

kirtan loor is such a weiner

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The trench Luke goes through to the thermal exhaust vent is actually towards the north pole, not around the equator.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Robot Style posted:

Makes sense that they didn't include him in the sequels - Oscar Isaac looks like a sack of poo poo compared to this heartthrob:

looks like dave anthony and ian mcdemid had a child in star trek.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

looks like dave anthony and ian mcdemid had a child in star trek.

that is literally a photograph of mike stackpole, lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I doubt he's stacking many poles, ehhhhhhhh

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a lot of crazy lore for the Millennium Falcon from nerds attempting to justify and confirm Han Solo's bragging over his lovely car.

This is one of my favorite things about Star Wars lore, the incredible attempts to justify people BSing about things

Like Obi-Wan's reaction when Solo's bragging about the "special modifications"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1WkXxWoGiI

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is one of my favorite things about Star Wars lore, the incredible attempts to justify people BSing about things

I like the roundabout way that years of EU retcons turned Jerec, the villain of Jedi Knight, into the galaxy's biggest moron.

The game's macguffin is the Valley of the Jedi, a site of ancient ruins which one of the game's tie-in novellas says was the location of a battle between a group of evil Force users and an army of Jedi hundreds of years ago, and the spirits of both armies are trapped there, just waiting around for someone to claim their power.

Jerec wants to find the Valley and claim it for himself, but he doesn't know where it is - he doesn't even know the name of the planet it's on - so he starts hunting down people who might know where it is, including a Jedi named Rahn (who learned about it from Yoda), and Kyle Katarn's father (who found it on the planet Ruusan while helping a group of colonists scout the planet).

Which is all fine, but then The Phantom Menace came out and mentioned that the Sith being extinct for a thousand years. When they decided to tell the story of how it happened, they dug up the lore from Jedi Knight and made the Valley of the Jedi the site of the final battle. Which is also fine.

Until Attack of the Clones comes out, and has characters say things like "the Republic has stood for a thousand years" and "there hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic". The EU had previously established that the Republic had been around for closer to twenty-five thousand years, and there had been a whole bucket load of Star Wars during that time. To make sense of it all, they decided that actually the Republic reset its calendar and essentially rebooted itself at the end of the war with the Sith a thousand years ago - something they called the Ruusan Reformation.

This is where things start to get fucky. So Ruusan goes from being a random planet in the rear end-end of the galaxy to being the planet that set the date of the Republic's calendar. But maybe Jerec's just not up on galactic affairs - it's not like he had much of a backstory so maybe he's just Some Guy. Well, it turns out that before he turned to the Dark Side, he was actually the padawan of Jocasta Nu, the old librarian lady from Attack of the Clones, and became a Jedi Archaeologist who specialized in ancient and forgotten lore.

Which basically makes Jerec the equivalent of a Christian scholar who doesn't know why the calendar changed from B.C. to A.D.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jerec subscribes to the phantom time hypothesis (different from the phantom menace hypothesis)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I played the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series as a kid more times than I could possibly count, but I wasn't big on Old Republic EU, so this is the first I'm hearing about this and it's absolutely hysterical.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does Kyle even exist in new canon? Shocked he's not got a pilot for Disney Plus tbh.

I played Jedi Academy first and a lot, and was confused who this Kyle guy fuckin was.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Kyle barely had a presence in the old EU besides the games themselves. I think maybe Stackpole or Alston included him in a book or two, but even then it was mostly a vague reference or two. I think someone tried to write him into the NJO but the next author didn't, so he just kinda shows up and vanishes again.

Sometimes he pops up at the Jedi academy as a teacher I think, because the third dark forces game was about the Jedi academy or something.

Most of what I remember of that game was how hilarious the hacking was in the online multiplayer, and the fact that there were still servers running like 15 years after release even despite this.

The more recent action RPG Jedi: Fallen Order was pretty solid if you haven't played it. Cameron Monaghan of Shameless plays the protagonist, and given they used his actual likeness for the player character and it's set during the same timeframe as Obi Wan, It'd be neat if there was a tie in IMO.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Don Dongington posted:

Kyle barely had a presence in the old EU besides the games themselves. I think maybe Stackpole or Alston included him in a book or two, but even then it was mostly a vague reference or two. I think someone tried to write him into the NJO but the next author didn't, so he just kinda shows up and vanishes again.

Sometimes he pops up at the Jedi academy as a teacher I think, because the third dark forces game was about the Jedi academy or something.

That was actually the fifth in that long-running series (Dark Forces, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Dark Forces Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy) :lmao:

I remember riding with my dad listening to some NJO audio book that had Kyle in it along with Corran and Kyp, so yeah he was around. We don't know yet if he's in the current canon, but seeing as how he's so beloved by the fans and can be shoehorned into one of several roles, it seems like a no-brainer to have him turn up in one of the bazillion new shows they have planned (Andor as a spy, Ahsoka as a Jedi, Mandalorian as whatever).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does Kyle even exist in new canon?

No stories have used him, and sourcebooks generally don't deal with individual characters. But one of the "leaky" bits of the new canon is the X-Wing miniatures game, which he's still technically part of, so "technically" he's in the new canon. There's a similar deal with Corran Horn, Soontir Fel, Manaroo (Dengar's Wife), Maarek Stele (the player character from TIE Fighter), Guri (Xizor's robot bodyguard), and Emon Azzameen (part of the Azzameen merchant family who were the stars of X-Wing Alliance). Dash Rendar actually has a couple more references in the new canon and was in a mobile game.

I guess Kyle Katarn and Corn Horn lack force powers, but Guri's still a robot.

But also canon is a lie and any stories you cared about still "matter" and any stories you don't like you can freely ignore and the canon police can't come to get you.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SlothfulCobra posted:

But also canon is a lie and any stories you cared about still "matter" and any stories you don't like you can freely ignore and the canon police can't come to get you.

This is why you should never take legal advice from goons. The canon police are real and are assholes. If you refuse to accept in your heart that Lando's sassy droid friend was forced to live the rest of her existence as the Millenium Falcon's diagnostic AI, the canon police will shoot you.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Robot Style posted:

...he was actually the padawan of Jocasta Nu, the old librarian lady from Attack of the Clones, and became a Jedi Archaeologist who specialized in ancient and forgotten lore.

Which basically makes Jerec the equivalent of a Christian scholar who doesn't know why the calendar changed from B.C. to A.D.

Given that Nu was so utterly confident that there was no possible way for anything in the library to be incorrect, and thus Obi-Wan's missing planet "Kamino" just must not exist, that's a brilliant bit to add

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If canon is what I choose it to be, then Luke's academy failure is because every honourable jedi practice duel ended with someone running in and gutting their opponent during a bow. Kylo saw most of his knights die this way. He's pissed, and hurling people off pits is more fun than running fast or being the cleric.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Emon Azzameen (part of the Azzameen merchant family who were the stars of X-Wing Alliance)

I think it's funny that the PC's brother is the only reference to X-Wing Alliance in the minis game.

And they have the TIE Phantom from Rebel Assault II, but don't have a Rookie One pilot, which seems like a real missed opportunity.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

SirPhoebos posted:

This is why you should never take legal advice from goons. The canon police are real and are assholes. If you refuse to accept in your heart that Lando's sassy droid friend was forced to live the rest of her existence as the Millenium Falcon's diagnostic AI, the canon police will shoot you.

With a canon, no less.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does Kyle even exist in new canon? Shocked he's not got a pilot for Disney Plus tbh.

I played Jedi Academy first and a lot, and was confused who this Kyle guy fuckin was.

They were making waves about how Finn was supposed to be the next Kyle.

We know how that went.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

pictured: kyle katarn and jan ors

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No see Kyle Katarn reloads saves when he dies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fuckin lmao i plugged "cassian andor kyle katarn" into google and this popped up

https://twitter.com/TriggeredB00mer/status/1532004097099956225

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jazerus posted:

fuckin lmao i plugged "cassian andor kyle katarn" into google and this popped up

https://twitter.com/TriggeredB00mer/status/1532004097099956225

One of the comics retcons it so that it is the other way around, Luke names them Rogue Squadron because of Rogue One.