Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The weird thing about Kevin J Anderson is that he's in the exact opposite position of where he should be. He has all these batshit, wonderful ideas that, in another writer's hands, could be really funny and interesting, but instead does the bulk of the writing for other people's ideas (Brian Herbert being the most notable example).

It feels weird to say, but can you imagine if KJA was just an ideas guy? Like, he goes on his daily hikes and just freeform speaks into his little tape recorder anything that comes to mind, and then the transcription gets handed off to someone with a better sense of pacing and description?

I say this as someone much more sympathetic to KJA than most.

Also everything I've heard about KJA is that for all his bad writing, he's a decent bloke, which is more than can be said about some other prolific Legends writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cornwind Evil posted:

While perusing Wookipedia, I found this gem about TIE fighters.

So, you have a training process so severe that barely anyone makes it, and you put them in the sci fi equivalent of World War I planes which explode if something brushes them hard and train them that they're expendable.

No wonder the old EU had like 30 T.I.E variants: they kept trying to fix the product when it was the process that was the issue.

Or maybe this is just the concepts of 'The empire is HUGE' and 'We only follow around people with plot armor' banging together.

Its because authors want to wank off TIE Fighter academies as a proxy for the USAF flight programs and never bother to reconcile that these are just fodder for the heroes.

It's like whenever the WWE tried to make someone seem like a credible opponent to Hogan or Cena: after a while the audience knows how it's going to end, and no fancy packaging can change that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Naboo Starfighter has to pull off its astromech droid's head in order to get it to fit right, since it's too narrow for R2's "shoulders" to fit.

:aloom:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SlothfulCobra posted:

But also canon is a lie and any stories you cared about still "matter" and any stories you don't like you can freely ignore and the canon police can't come to get you.

This is why you should never take legal advice from goons. The canon police are real and are assholes. If you refuse to accept in your heart that Lando's sassy droid friend was forced to live the rest of her existence as the Millenium Falcon's diagnostic AI, the canon police will shoot you.