Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also maybe more people would like Thane if they leaned heavier into the where can trip by licking him like a toad.

Personal favorite thing I saw playing with that:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Defiance Industries posted:

Thrawn mostly works because Zahn is a more clever writer than most of the people doing a Star War. That's all there is to it, really. Anderson tried to do exactly the same thing with Daala and she's a joke.

Yeah, Zahn also understood that Thrawn was a bad guy no matter how appealing he may have looked. I still remember one of Princess Leia's thoughts in the original trilogy that introduced Thrawn about him. "Thrawn would smile, and speak politely, and take her children away". Kinda answered the whole "good or bad guy" question right there I think.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Also according to the EU and even the shows, both Sidious and Vader had a bunch of semi-secret apprentices who totally weren't Sith, no really.

This ranged from people who were being groomed to help each Sith kill off the other, to an entire dojo of inquisikids

Yeah, they dangled the whole "show yourself better than my apprentice/help me kill my master and you can be a Sith too!" thing to get a bunch of willing patsies. Which makes a certain sense, having long gaps training up a new Sith would be very dangerous to the Rule Of Two if something killed the survivor while he was alone, so better to have a replacement for a dead apprentice near to hand once an opening emerges. And hey, if one of your attack dogs happens to wind up stronger than your current apprentice and kills him, you get an instant upgrade without having to lift a finger. Can't even say it doesn't fit the movies since it sure explains the Vader and the Emperor both working on Luke, each with a very different idea whose apprentice he would be.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there is a part of ancient republic history in the old canon, when they just became the imperium of man for like a couple hundred years.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Pius_Dea

I did find it amusing it's a fanatical religion that follows a Goddess, at least; slight twist on the typical patriarchal formula.