Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hazo posted:

Unlimited planets throughout the galaxy and Luke sets up his praxeum on an old rebel base where within, like, walking distance is the tomb of the undead baddest sith lord that ever lived, and everybody’s just kind of ok with this

I could very easily be convinced that Star Wars, as a universe, has a tighter real estate market than New York. People will mumble stuff about millions of stars and poo poo and then they keep going to the same like five locations and all you ever see is either desert or the size of a small suburb. Extremely claustrophobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, given that their ridiculous spaceship tech makes anywhere in the galaxy maybe a couple weeks away from anywhere else, if you could just spread out and claim a significant percentage of a PLANET rather than cramming yourself in with a couple billion chumps on just one, why wouldn't you?

Something that rules about star wars is how fast things are. This is the distance traveled in ep 1 by Darth Maul in 9 hours:

Which I measured at 48% as long as the top-bottom diameter of the galaxy. The Star Wars galaxy, to my knowledge, is 110,000 light years diameter, so we're talking 53,000 ish light years over 9 hours, or close on 6000 light years per hour.

Now, was Maul's vehicle particularly fast? I mean probably. But also strategic speeds seem to be something that go up with speed and he was in a tiny rear end little ship so maybe larger ships are faster? Maybe by the time of the main episodes hyperdrives were even better.

In any event, the longest distance in star wars can be done in one day and that is very, very funny to me.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I feel like this is more an example of got_season_8_travel.txt than an explanation of how space travel works in Star Wars, which is always extremely fudgy anyway, even by soft sci fi standards.

AFAIK the 'official' word on star wars speeds is that "characters get to the plot when they're needed." It's fun to do a little napkin math on the text in the thread for silly microanalysis of star wars periphery but it's not like, going to reveal a lot about the real meat of Star Wars.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sanguinia posted:

The thing I always come back to is how much of the Imperial military was devoted entirely to maintaining its police state. There were like three of four Star Destroyers maintaining garrison on loving TATOOINE. Who thinks that there's NOT going to be internal revolt DURING the Vong Invasion if the Empire is still in power?

big "two intelligence officers for every civilian" vibes

e: Wookiepedia says that Tatooine has has between 80k and 200k people living on it, so that garrison force would be 111k to 148k, which, yes this is very silly speculation etc but is also very funny

Tulip fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 15, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lucas pretty overtly based the Jedi on like, old west sheriffs, because he's a movie guy more than a history guy and those were the movies he liked. This means that they're also quite a bit like samurai and the samurai historically did get basically wiped out by the empire very quickly (though that was less "one really bloody day" and more a several year long process of legal reforms).

The real thing I'm learning from all of this is that Star Wars is significantly less than the sum of its parts.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It doesn't really need to be a kamikaze operation though right? Like you can just make hyperspace rockets, no pilot.

Jazerus posted:

at a certain point you just have to reconcile yourself to the science fact that star wars makes no goddamn sense sometimes

the eagles don't take the ring to mordor because the eagles do not, in general, interfere in mortal affairs at all except to save heroes after they have already accomplished their great task. they come up several times in the silmarillion but they never, ever help someone do something other than make an improbable escape after a daring feat - they drive the getaway car if you're somebody that manwe likes, and that's it. by the metaphysical logic of arda, that's a much more coherent explanation than anything involving hyperspace kamikazes in star wars within its system of logic

Yeah SW and LOTR have very different goals and intentions and genres, so they're ultimately subject to very different forms of analysis. The various superpowered immortals of LOTR don't just fix the War of the Rings for the mortals because it is anathema to their natures, if they had a nature that let them just interfere like that they'd stop being the sort of superpowered immortals that can do that (or you're well outside the Third Age in which case good luck).

SW is a lot of things but in its sci-fi elements, part of what makes it tick is that basically everybody has human interests and tries to achieve those goals through tools we see on screen. When a character uses a tool in a dramatically new way, you should extrapolate and wonder about what more can be done with this change to the rules, that's both part of the fun and part of the drama. It also applies backwards to a "why didn't this change happen before," usually in sci-fi it's "some supernerd had to invent a new macguffin" but if the explanation isn't obvious the fiction is effectively inviting you to question it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dumbest idea: convergent evolution, humans evolved on dozens of planets simultaneously.

Even dumbest-er idea: humans are so short sighted they lost the records.

Though AFAIK the real canon just doesn't care and the EU canon says that everybody lost track the historical records about this (which is extremely lol).