Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

I actually do have an answer to the "why didn't the heroes just hyperspace-kamikaze everything" question:

The Interdictor-class Star Destroyer (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Interdictor-class_Star_Destroyer)

Some may recall that the ship was part of the old continuity but it was reintroduced in the Rebels cartoon. The Interdictor-class is a ship that can create a gravity well that both prevents ships from entering hyperspace and pulls out ships that are currently in hyperspace.

I'm sure all the lore about them is how only two were ever made or whatever but their existence at least explains away why there weren't heroic hyperspace-sacrifices of important Rebel and Resistance vessels in every battle (at least to some extent).

If you were the scrappy rebels you might not also want to sacrifice every capital ship you get your hands on either.

There's my contribution to this thread of essential and important science facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

I suppose "why didn't the good guys just hyperspace kill the bad guys" is the Star Wars equivalent of "why didn't the eagles just take the ring to Mordor".

Actually, had there been anything written about hyperspace-kamikazes before The Last Jedi?

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

wdarkk posted:

There is actually an explanation that makes perfect sense for the Eagles thing, though.

Mostly that you don't particularly want to check a half-dozen Maiar for "will they loving grab the ring" at the same time.

Oh, I know. Though I prefer to go to the idea that the Ring would've corrupted the Eagles and they would've either flown away and hid somewhere or brought it to Sauron whenever the question is brought up.

What I meant by equating those two questions was that the answer to both of them is "because otherwise there wouldn't be a story" (not that such a statement is much of an argument for ignoring oversights or mistakes, of course).