Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Han Solo thinks they're a myth. Maybe that could be explained away that those born around the time don't know, but Han strikes me to have been at least a young child if not a pre-teen when Palpatine took over.

At least one draft of Episode 3 had Han as a young orphan on Kashyyyk being raised by Wookiees. He even met Yoda and acted as something of a forest scout during the battle.

I don't think Han necessarily believes the Jedi are a myth - he doesn't believe in the concept of destiny or the Force as something that can help you in the real world. If he personally witnessed Order 66, or was at least aware of the world around him when it happened I think that would hammer home the fact that the Jedi aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

We know now that the choke is telekinetic because we know that the force lets you do that, but if they gone in a different way in Empire, it would not have been hard to say that Vader was using his power to convince his body that he was choking. We don't see his neck getting squeezed or anything like that.

Apparently Richard LeParmentier had a neck spasm while trying to figure out how to play the choke, but then found he was able to trigger it on command so there is actually a real physical component to the choke, at least in the first movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Hearing the term 'Force-Sensitive' used as the sole catch all for beings that can directly influence the Force has always bothered me. It seems lacking. It's fine as a term for the entirety of those who use it, but for the likes of Yoda and Anakin and Mace Windu and yes, even Rey from the Sequel Trilogy, it doesn't really convey their level of talent. While I am sure the Jedi would never officially come up with separating terms, I'm sure there would be an unofficial term for the likes of the 'beats whole army of super battle droids and command ship by themselves' and 'yanks a Star Destroyer out of low planetary orbit' to contrast them against the barely there before gone Jedi who died en masse across the Clone Wars.

I have no idea what the term would be though.

I think the EU's introduced a few terms:

Force Sensitive for people who are untrained but are connected to the Force and maybe have some basic subconscious abilities.

Force Adepts for anyone who can consciously use the Force, but aren't part of the Jedi/Sith line, like the Witches of Dathomir

Force Wielders for high-powered individuals like the Mortis Gods.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Therm Scissorpunch is a Nephris from the planet Nepotis. Coincidentally, he only appeared in the movie that was co-written by Lawrence Kasdan's son.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Funny thing is, it does work again - one of the Star Destroyers in the end montage was destroyed that way.

I'm kind of expecting the High Republic stuff to explore it at some point. The series kicks off with ships all over the galaxy suddenly being ripped out of Hyperspace, with one breaking apart and turning into a hyperspace debris railgun that damages several planets across the galaxy. Since the villains of the series have some shady hyperspace tech, I'm expecting them to be revealed as responsible for the disaster, and for the Republic to do something like declare hyperspace weapons highly loving illegal and barbaric considering the amount of damage they do if you miss.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SolarFire2 posted:

TFA nullifies that by having Han drop out lightspeed within Starkiller Base's atmosphere, then ROS further nullified it by having Poe put the millenium falcon into hyperspace a few feet above a planet surface.

To be fair, that idea was stolen from Lucas' rough draft script of Return of the Jedi, where Han did it to bypass the shield protecting Endor, so it's not something the sequels invented.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The connection between the two species exists out of universe as well.

Originally the Neimoidians (originally named the Shanterians but later changed to the "Nimoy"dians, but still working for a "Federation" in saucer-shaped ships) were designed to look more similar to the battle droids, with elongated faces and skeletal bodies. Since it would have been too expensive to do these as CG creatures, they were changed to be actors in masks instead. Lucas looked through a book of Star Wars aliens and chose the Duros for the new design, but after being told that they already had species backstory in the EU, had them changed enough to be a new species.

The original design for the Neimoidians was eventually reused for the Geonosians, restoring the visual connection between the battle droids and their creators.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jazerus posted:

the duros are cool. always thought they should be more prominent, basically the #2 species in terms of population behind humans given how long they've been farting around in space.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kinda like just how hosed the planet Duro is. Its best days are behind it, ruined by past successes. Their industry ruined the planet and their exploration and involvement in the rest of the galaxy is still steadily robbing the planet of its future.

This also kind of draws attention to how strange it is that the human homeworld has never been confirmed in either canon. Like, was it one of those Lucas decrees that they could never reveal where humans came from, or was it just something that nobody really wanted to tackle? I could see how establishing an actual human homeworld would set in stone the fact that they are alien creatures that just happen to look like us, which might be weird to deal with, but it's better than what Bantam was going to do, with humans settling on Corellia after time travelling from the earth of THX-1138.

It's not even something that seems like it should be mysterious, like Yoda's species. Human beings are the most mundane things in the entire galaxy, so saying they come from Hume or whatever shouldn't be a big deal.