Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Han Solo thinks they're a myth. Maybe that could be explained away that those born around the time don't know, but Han strikes me to have been at least a young child if not a pre-teen when Palpatine took over.

At least one draft of Episode 3 had Han as a young orphan on Kashyyyk being raised by Wookiees. He even met Yoda and acted as something of a forest scout during the battle.

I don't think Han necessarily believes the Jedi are a myth - he doesn't believe in the concept of destiny or the Force as something that can help you in the real world. If he personally witnessed Order 66, or was at least aware of the world around him when it happened I think that would hammer home the fact that the Jedi aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

We know now that the choke is telekinetic because we know that the force lets you do that, but if they gone in a different way in Empire, it would not have been hard to say that Vader was using his power to convince his body that he was choking. We don't see his neck getting squeezed or anything like that.

Apparently Richard LeParmentier had a neck spasm while trying to figure out how to play the choke, but then found he was able to trigger it on command so there is actually a real physical component to the choke, at least in the first movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Hearing the term 'Force-Sensitive' used as the sole catch all for beings that can directly influence the Force has always bothered me. It seems lacking. It's fine as a term for the entirety of those who use it, but for the likes of Yoda and Anakin and Mace Windu and yes, even Rey from the Sequel Trilogy, it doesn't really convey their level of talent. While I am sure the Jedi would never officially come up with separating terms, I'm sure there would be an unofficial term for the likes of the 'beats whole army of super battle droids and command ship by themselves' and 'yanks a Star Destroyer out of low planetary orbit' to contrast them against the barely there before gone Jedi who died en masse across the Clone Wars.

I have no idea what the term would be though.

I think the EU's introduced a few terms:

Force Sensitive for people who are untrained but are connected to the Force and maybe have some basic subconscious abilities.

Force Adepts for anyone who can consciously use the Force, but aren't part of the Jedi/Sith line, like the Witches of Dathomir

Force Wielders for high-powered individuals like the Mortis Gods.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Therm Scissorpunch is a Nephris from the planet Nepotis. Coincidentally, he only appeared in the movie that was co-written by Lawrence Kasdan's son.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Funny thing is, it does work again - one of the Star Destroyers in the end montage was destroyed that way.

I'm kind of expecting the High Republic stuff to explore it at some point. The series kicks off with ships all over the galaxy suddenly being ripped out of Hyperspace, with one breaking apart and turning into a hyperspace debris railgun that damages several planets across the galaxy. Since the villains of the series have some shady hyperspace tech, I'm expecting them to be revealed as responsible for the disaster, and for the Republic to do something like declare hyperspace weapons highly loving illegal and barbaric considering the amount of damage they do if you miss.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SolarFire2 posted:

TFA nullifies that by having Han drop out lightspeed within Starkiller Base's atmosphere, then ROS further nullified it by having Poe put the millenium falcon into hyperspace a few feet above a planet surface.

To be fair, that idea was stolen from Lucas' rough draft script of Return of the Jedi, where Han did it to bypass the shield protecting Endor, so it's not something the sequels invented.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The connection between the two species exists out of universe as well.

Originally the Neimoidians (originally named the Shanterians but later changed to the "Nimoy"dians, but still working for a "Federation" in saucer-shaped ships) were designed to look more similar to the battle droids, with elongated faces and skeletal bodies. Since it would have been too expensive to do these as CG creatures, they were changed to be actors in masks instead. Lucas looked through a book of Star Wars aliens and chose the Duros for the new design, but after being told that they already had species backstory in the EU, had them changed enough to be a new species.

The original design for the Neimoidians was eventually reused for the Geonosians, restoring the visual connection between the battle droids and their creators.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 19, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jazerus posted:

the duros are cool. always thought they should be more prominent, basically the #2 species in terms of population behind humans given how long they've been farting around in space.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kinda like just how hosed the planet Duro is. Its best days are behind it, ruined by past successes. Their industry ruined the planet and their exploration and involvement in the rest of the galaxy is still steadily robbing the planet of its future.

This also kind of draws attention to how strange it is that the human homeworld has never been confirmed in either canon. Like, was it one of those Lucas decrees that they could never reveal where humans came from, or was it just something that nobody really wanted to tackle? I could see how establishing an actual human homeworld would set in stone the fact that they are alien creatures that just happen to look like us, which might be weird to deal with, but it's better than what Bantam was going to do, with humans settling on Corellia after time travelling from the earth of THX-1138.

It's not even something that seems like it should be mysterious, like Yoda's species. Human beings are the most mundane things in the entire galaxy, so saying they come from Hume or whatever shouldn't be a big deal.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also I don't think Lucas wrote the episodes Halle Burtoni showed up in, but anything's possible, he had some kind of involvement in the show.

Apparently Lucas specifically asked them to do an arc about banking deregulation, so any of the more political stuff is probably something he had a hand in.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gotta have chicken tears to keep my wife from getting a coomb infection.

quote:

Han Solo rescued them from the Peace Brigade shuttle, but realizing their defection was a ploy he fought with Elan and she was killed by her own bioweapon. Vergere fled in a Millennium Falcon escape pod. Before jettisoning, she threw Solo a vial of her tears, which would be used later to slow the deadly coomb spore disease contracted by Mara Jade Skywalker.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The second part of the Lucas video game naming anecdote is from Fracture, where they wanted to name the character Mason Briggs (Mason for the game's terrain deformation gimmick, and Briggs because the first level takes place on Alcatraz - in the brig). Lucas saw the character's movement in a gameplay demo and thought he should be called "BJ Dart" instead. Both names are stupid - one's boring and the other's too goofy, and they eventually settled on Jet Brody because apparently you can get Lucas to agree to stuff as long as you name it after one of his kids.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Plus you've got the original-original backstory, where Boba Fett was touted as wearing the armor of the Mandalorian Supercommandos, a group of soldiers that were defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars, and established the "armored warriors who fight Jedi" precedent that every other version sticks with.

Despite the word Mandalorian never being mentioned in the script, it's possible that the description came from Lucas himself. Prior to the tie-in boom for the first Star Wars movie, Lucas provided backstory information about a bunch of characters for the comics and other tie-ins to use, so he may have done something similar for the new movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Corran Horn and the Methods of Rationality.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Han Solo posted:

I've always dreamed of having a place of my own, and I figure it's about time Chewie and I built my dream sky house.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Rapey vibes are apparently in there because Dave Wolverton loosely based the story on Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which itself traces back to an incident in Roman mythology called The Rape of the Sabine Women. I don't know if the mythological aspect was intended, but the audiobook version of CoPL pronounces Hapes to rhyme with Hades, so it could be an attempt to frame Leia as Persephone.

That being said, Dave Wolverton was apparently one of Stephanie Meyer's mentors, so maybe not the best legacy when it comes to romantic stories in general.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Makes sense that they didn't include him in the sequels - Oscar Isaac looks like a sack of poo poo compared to this heartthrob:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There was also an early idea (later implemented for the B-Wing) that the Falcon's cockpit would be able to rotate, with the pilots remaining stationary while the rest of the ship moved around it, so there would probably be a bunch of different areas of the ship with different gravity. I don't know whether or not that was an intentional design element though.

There was also a piece of Ralph McQuarrie art that had the Falcon's windowed turrets on the sides of the ship:

And the third draft script (which was used for casting) also specifies that:

Star Wars, Third Draft posted:

Luke settles into one of the two main laser cannons mounted in large rotating turrets on either side of the ship.

While the public version of the Fourth Draft (which was based on the shooting script) changes the wording slightly to match the updated design:

Star Wars, Fourth Draft posted:

Luke climbs down the ladder into the gunport cockpit, settling into one of the two main laser cannons mounted in large rotating turrets on either side of the ship.

So it's possible that the turrets were originally just supposed to have "normal" gravity it was just handwaved when the design was changed, but the long Falcon design lasted far enough into production that they created a filming model for it (eventually retooled into the Blockade Runner), and it clearly has the dorsal and ventral turrets we're familiar with:

Also, while looking for images of the old versions of the ship, I came across a prototype Kenner toy from around 1984 that would have acted as a cargo vessel that fit between the Falcon's mandibles - 30 years before Solo added something similar to Lando's version of the ship:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Falcon went through a number of revisions between the Blockade Runner style ship and the saucer we ultimately got.

Some behind-the-scenes stuff from the time refers to the new design as the "manta ray ship" - and a manta ray feels more likely as a point of inspiration than a hamburger with a bite taken out of it. Some storyboards of the new design had a pretty smooth hull, without even an exterior cockpit. Over time it picked up additional details, such as the sensor dish, guns, and cockpit.

There's also this design, which blends more of the Blockade Runner elements with the newer saucer shape.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently the shoulder pads were a result of Dash being the player character of an N64 game, and they needed a way to attach his low-poly arms to his body in a way that only looked a little hosed up.

As for why they were tires specifically, they might have been inspired (consciously or otherwise) by the segmented padded curves that are all over the inside of the Falcon, which might subconsciously read as "smuggler".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently that photograph was only recently discovered, when they were working on Solo and digging through the Lucasfilm archives for any old concept art that might be useful to depict the pre-ANH version of the ship. It seems that both the artists for the game and the original movie hit on the idea of "put a cockpit in the mandibles" independently, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that ship turn up somewhere down the road now that the design's been unearthed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is one of my favorite things about Star Wars lore, the incredible attempts to justify people BSing about things

I like the roundabout way that years of EU retcons turned Jerec, the villain of Jedi Knight, into the galaxy's biggest moron.

The game's macguffin is the Valley of the Jedi, a site of ancient ruins which one of the game's tie-in novellas says was the location of a battle between a group of evil Force users and an army of Jedi hundreds of years ago, and the spirits of both armies are trapped there, just waiting around for someone to claim their power.

Jerec wants to find the Valley and claim it for himself, but he doesn't know where it is - he doesn't even know the name of the planet it's on - so he starts hunting down people who might know where it is, including a Jedi named Rahn (who learned about it from Yoda), and Kyle Katarn's father (who found it on the planet Ruusan while helping a group of colonists scout the planet).

Which is all fine, but then The Phantom Menace came out and mentioned that the Sith being extinct for a thousand years. When they decided to tell the story of how it happened, they dug up the lore from Jedi Knight and made the Valley of the Jedi the site of the final battle. Which is also fine.

Until Attack of the Clones comes out, and has characters say things like "the Republic has stood for a thousand years" and "there hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic". The EU had previously established that the Republic had been around for closer to twenty-five thousand years, and there had been a whole bucket load of Star Wars during that time. To make sense of it all, they decided that actually the Republic reset its calendar and essentially rebooted itself at the end of the war with the Sith a thousand years ago - something they called the Ruusan Reformation.

This is where things start to get fucky. So Ruusan goes from being a random planet in the rear end-end of the galaxy to being the planet that set the date of the Republic's calendar. But maybe Jerec's just not up on galactic affairs - it's not like he had much of a backstory so maybe he's just Some Guy. Well, it turns out that before he turned to the Dark Side, he was actually the padawan of Jocasta Nu, the old librarian lady from Attack of the Clones, and became a Jedi Archaeologist who specialized in ancient and forgotten lore.

Which basically makes Jerec the equivalent of a Christian scholar who doesn't know why the calendar changed from B.C. to A.D.