Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I know I've read the name Corran Horn a bunch, but I can't remember a drat thing about him. Probably for the best.

I read a lot of Star Wars books as a kid, but so much of them just kinda fell out of my head.

Hazo posted:

There was also a Death Star prototype guarding the planet for some reason and space Jedi Jesus turns evil and mindrapes Wedge’s girlfriend who used to work on the prototype

She also didn't know that it was supposed to be a weapon. She worked on the Death Star and a few other horrifying superweapons, and she just assumed it was for mining.

Agnostalgia posted:

Okay replace that one with the time he encased her boyfriend in mining equipment so he could be sold to a slug monster

That's just normal dad stuff.

Asgerd posted:

The Jedi let Ki-Adi-Mundi have a harem of five wives because his species was endangered

That must've boiled Anakin's piss so bad

Maybe the Jedi are actually really understanding about things even though they're supposed to stay celibate, and Anakin's just a weird dork who can't talk with anyone.

Obi-wan had a whole affair with the duchess of Mandalore and it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

This is Voolvif Monn, the wolfman jedi.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars miniseries had an online vote on which of 3 Jedi to put into an upcoming episode, and he was what the internet chose, probably because of furries. When the episode came out, his scene was boring and ultimately pointless and would be entirely forgettable if you didn't know that he was the result of some internet thing. He also got trapped in a bubble in a later montage of Anakin being cool.

The two runner-up Jedi, the Talz Foul Moudama and the Ithorian Roron Corobb, would join Shaak Ti in defending Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in a much longer and cooler sequence where each of them showcased their unique skills and powers before ultimately being brutally slaughtered by General Grievous, which is what would happen to most Jedi soon anyways.

Suck it, internet.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Two of the planets in the Corellian system are locked in a binary orbit around eachother with a space station in the middle where millions of people lived. It turned out that the space station was actually a giant hyperdrive and the entire Corellian system was moved to the galaxy from somewhere else, and some guy figured out how to use the hyperdrive as a giant space laser, frying the entire population of the space station in the process.

At least I think that's how it worked. That's one of those books that's real blurry to me.

Jazerus posted:

greedo's corpse was juiced for whiskey flavoring by the bartender in mos eisley, due to his incredibly intoxicating aroma

Using this droid.

Built by Squibs.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 27, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Star Wars was born out of pulp influence and then later it became pulp, which was only fitting. One day it will be pulp again, unless Disney elects to lock it up in a vault rather than risk being cheap and stupid.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

It's very expensively stupid right now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

We need some more facts, here's a post about .

Here's an energy spider. They live in the spice mines of Kessel where they capture light-creatures called bogeys in webs made of glitterstim to suck out all their delicious energy. That glitterstim would then be mined by slaves to create the most expensive form of spice that allegedly boosted people's telepathic abilities while also making them trip balls.

This here's a giant Firaxan shark that lives in the depths of the ocean on the planet Manaan. It looks just like all the smaller Firaxan sharks that live near it, but it's actually the progenitor of all life on the planet and the god of the Selkath, the sentient species that live on Manaan (and possibly the result of ancient alien experiments). It can drive the Selkath into a mindless rage to protect it, and it secretes a weird healing goo called Kolto that can be harvested up on the surface to be a great medical drug that somehow relies on the progenitor because it goes inert if you kill the giant firaxan shark. Whether or not the progenitor is dead, kolto is later surpassed by bacta.

But if you can't find yourself some giant beast that squirts out drugs, well maybe you can be like this guy. Arconan's eyes are supposed to be green, but the bulk of the species has become addicted to a substance that turns their eyes yellow as well as being a highly addictive hallucinogen. There are strict restrictions on their home planet, but offworld it's nearly impossible to not fall into addiction, because the drug that acts so strongly upon them is common throughout the galaxy as table salt. They also need to take ammonia supplements.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Val Helmethead posted:

Fixed it for you.

Also Star Wars: Armada got a new gunnery officer added to their upgrade cards. This is in the age of Disney Cannon, so they don't just add anyone anymore, you've got to be legit or you don't even get a nod. Who did we get? Gunnery Chief Varnillian.

I liked a lot about Rebels, and it was neat to see all these absurdly deep pulls, but it was kinda disappointing that so much had to be previously established instead of just freely making new things as much as they did in Clone Wars.

Last when I read the new comics, they seemed to have a habit of all the new characters obviously being some writer's precious baby that they fought hard to keep in, so there's a bit of a mary sue kinda vibe every time and nobody's just a loser.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I notice they refer to her race as human. But if you think about it for a second, there are no “humans” in Star Wars, they’re not the same species as us. They look like our species, but they’re an ancient race from a distant galaxy who have midichlorian blood and stuff. Who knows what other physiological differences there are?

I've heard this bit of weird worldbuilding before, and my response is shut the gently caress up. I know it's technically the same shtick as calling English "basic" but it feels so much like huffing your own farts to say humans aren't human and they're some unmentioned other thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I think there was one theory that humans were from Corellia, which was brought to the Star Wars universe from somewhere else. KOTOR tried implying that they were originally from Tatooine from way back when it was an Earth-like planet and Rakatans took them as slaves across the galaxy and then lasered the entire planet into glass, which crumbled up and became the endless desert.

Next you'll be making your grand thesis that Lord of the Rings is full of some unique species of "Midmans" instead of humans.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

The Thrawn trilogy had a number of its own goofy issues, but it at least had consistent creative direction and demonstrated a changing galaxy. And although I think the individual stories of most of Disney's sequels have their own flaws in their own right, what I get mad at them most for is refusing to give an inch of ground to acknowledging that anything that happened in the original trilogy was worth doing (they constantly wheel around the old cast, sure, but only to show them hopelessly flailing as their whole lives' work has long crumbled into meaninglessness) and the creative bankruptcy in not coming up with interesting new technology designs.

And for what it's worth, Zahn's books that kickstarted the EU were actually the second attempt (maybe third if you count those dtv Ewok movies that nobody ever remembers) at continuing the timeline of Star Wars. Before that, the company that held the license to make Star Wars toys did a big pitch for continuing the series where they also were using the brief mention of the Clone Wars for inspiration, with this guy as the central villain.

Kenner posted:

A powerful force long kept in exile in a remote fringe of the galaxy has been released by the death of the Emperor. It moves now, like a plague, securing control over the shattered remnants of the empire and re-enslaving newly freed worlds. Atha Prime, genetics master, ruler of the dark worlds and architect of the Clone Wars, is free again. His advanced army of combat clones has already decimated rebel outposts along the galactic frontier. His goal is to cursh forever the Rebel Alliance and control the Galaxy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Hey, that's the combination on my luggage.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Porkins got retconned to survive in the Phineas and Ferb crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNAvOxDuU6I#t=131s

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Whatever their religion is, their entire society revolves around literally harvesting souls. That sounds spiritual to me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I feel like Dathomir in the Clone Wars is radically different from how it is in the book. No rancors, and there's zabrak male villages for some reason.

Then in Rebels they visit Dathomir and all the witches are dead, killed off by the Empire. They did leave some ghosts, so maybe their order could somehow be revived by the time of the early EU, but I feel like Kylo Ren's age might imply that Han and Leia's relationship progressed slower than it did in the EU anyways.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I feel like when Star Trek gets weird it's less exciting because while Star Wars's weirdest stuff is off in little corners that probably never got editorial approval, Star Trek just has plenty of that poo poo in the show itself, so it's not like books can get that much weirder than Worf turning into a lobster and eating a crewmate or Janeway evolving into a lizard and copulating and laying eggs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen many big sci-fi stories do much with interstellar organized crime. Usually at most they're a temporary threat that looms off in the distance only to be forgotten when the main plot comes along again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

The earlier clone trooper armor was known for being uncomfortable because Kaminoans weren't too familiar with the human form.

I wonder how many wrong assumptions they made about the pants area.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Mass Effect has a lot of stuff in the codex about right-handed and left-handed amino acids, so species with dextro-proteins can't process foods made from sinister-proteins and vice versa. There's a conversation you can overhear where a turian is really trying to Nice Guy his quarian friend after she broke up with her last boyfriend, and he's commenting that she should at least date somebody who can eat the same food as her (Turians and quarians are the only major dextro-protein species in the setting).

Of course, that conversation also goes on to reveal that quarian suits have built-in vibrating functions, and later when you find the Shadow Broker and look at his secret files on your squadmates, you can see Tali's suit log about uninstalling and reinstalling a stimulation program.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Mordin gives medical advice for every romance option. Although I can't find any advice on asari, which is weird, since that's the romance option that can actually kill you ingame. That's on top of alluding to some member of the crew having some alien dog disease that may be an STD and advising the guy with glass bones on robot sex. Mass Effect is at most 10% alien sex by volume, but sometimes it just takes over everything.

Also maybe more people would like Thane if they leaned heavier into the where can trip by licking him like a toad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I mainly know Jango Fett's backstory from his video game that had his origin comic book contained as collectable pages.

Jango had a lady Watto as his friend planning his missions for him and met Zam Wessell while trying to capture a Sebulba. And he sure did set a lot of civilians on fire to see them roll around on the ground 'til they die.

Defiance Industries posted:

I genuinely don't understand the fascination with Boba Fett. He stands around, makes a single delivery and then dies like a bitch.

Not too hard to look good against this lineup.

Probably the holiday special also built up his appeal, since the cartoon may be the most bearable part of the whole thing, and with it only airing once, there'd be a lot more vague memories and rumors buzzing around the characters. But I can only really guess at what the 80s mindset was like.

They tried to recreate the same effect with Phazma, but a silver stormtrooper who probably only ever did more stormtrooper stuff and doesn't have any bizarre rare media isn't anywhere nearly as evocative to the imagination.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I can't remember how many people in Tales from Jabba's Palace end up dying when Jabba's barge exploded. I remember a lot of them looted whatever they could after Jabba died and ran.

And then a lot of the survivors got their brains taken out by the Bomarr Monks, who were the original builders of the palace and took back control after Jabba died. They even got a little aggressive baiting in more criminals to remove their brains. Weird guys.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

In the space-pacific ocean, a furry creature emerges from the ocean with a rock and a clam and proceeds to open one with the other. A man across from it gives it a long gaze and then winks.

Although I guess in the lore they're supposed to act more like prairie dogs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

The podrace in Episode 1 was in honor of Boonta's Eve, a traditional Hutt holiday named for Boonta the Hutt, commemorating his "rise to godhood" after his successes in defeating the Warlord Xim and exterminating the Moralan species after they organized a slave revolt against the Hutt clans.

Godhood is a bit of a weird thing for the Hutts, because early on in their history they worshipped the twin suns of their homeworld Varl as gods, but at some point after the Hutts had started building a presence beyond their homeworld, some horrifying catastrophe destroyed one of the suns and reduced the other to a white dwarf, as the legend goes, "Evona was consumed by a black hole, and in fury, Ardos expelled its gaseous external layers and destroyed the other planets of the star system." Either way, the planet was rendered mostly uninhabitable, and the Hutts decided that their gods were dead, and since the Hutts themselves survived the death of the gods, they had become near-gods.

Also they made the planet of Evocar into their new homeworld, expelled the native Evocii to the moon Nar Shadaa, and terraformed their new planet into their version of paradise: A bunch of swamps. They renamed it Nal Hutta, which apparently translates into "Glorious Jewel" but that makes me uncomfortable about the etymology of the word Hutt.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like the one with the imperial tax goatman is scrooge type shithead and than he falls inlove with some implied to be virginal young alien girl who is trying to find a way back home and becuse he really really hard for her horns, he keeps trying gently caress her and well. you can find the audio of the sex tape on wookiepedia.

I remember reading about that. He was attracted because they both had electromagnetic horns. And she killed him with her knife-tongue as part of having sex.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Usually most extended licensed works of a franchise are in kind of a nebulous territory of possibly having happened, often EU works will end up getting contradicted by more official works, sometimes more official works will reference EU works as some kind of little nod of approval. There was a whole tier-system on Wookieepedia before Disney came along. Unless there's some kind of official attempt at canon curation, the audience is either free to pick what they like or to be a petulant child complaining about inconsistencies.

Spoiler: Official canon curation never works and usually sucks and produces awful stories that everybody hates. The new official star wars canon tends to haphazardly borrow from the old EU because nothing can stop people who liked the old stories to bring them back and nobody can stop the audience who liked the old stories from including them in their own personal headcanon. Outside of Star Wars, there's trainwrecks like DC's crises where they endlessly trash all the ongoing stories and yet those stories are never really gone. It's making a bigger mess to solve another mess that wasn't really that much of a problem.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

So this here's a penis caterpillar.

Like it's a bit of a stretch to envision it as a penis, but its species is named Priapulin, which sounds like Priapus, the greek god whose only notable characteristic is having a big dick and has various medical conditions regarding erections named after him. Wookieepedia tries to glaze over that and note that there's a real type of worm with the scientific name of Priapulida, but the common name for it is the "Penis Worm" so one way or another, dicks are involved.

But anyways, what's weird about these guys beyond being semiaquatic caterpillars is what they eat. I know that he looks chill with that cup full of tentacles, but that is a living, sentient creature called a Crast. Priapulins call crasts "food-kin" because they have a symbiotic relationship where they eat the crast and incubate its eggs to give birth to later. It's weird. I think that's a couple fetishes.

But what's weirder is that if you zoom out further, this species has really only appeared in one proper story that I actually read as a kid, and I barely remember it, but the one priapulin character's just like a bus driver who fucks off after he got the main characters where they needed to go. There wasn't any of this food-kin stuff. But I do remember the Essential Guide to Species entry for these guys, so I can't figure whether the guide to species came up with all the weird stuff or if maybe the original author just wrote down some weird notes about them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I thought it was such an ancient temple that nobody knew who built it or what it was for until ghosts started popping up. Although to be honest, Luke probably should've moved the academy after they found that ancient slumbering Jedi master chinchilla guarding an orb filled with the damned souls of children.

Although after the temple got destroyed, Luke wound up stashing his younglings in a place where they could be influenced by an even more ancient and powerful evil god. Maybe there's some kind of subconscious magnetic force going on or something. Or maybe Luke was choosing places where there was some kind of force interference that could mask their presence without investigating the source of the signal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

There's a lot of space debris that will instantly destroy your ship if you come into contact with it while in hyperspace, so it's really complicated to scout out a path to a place with no junk in the way at all. Hyperspace engines also have a lot of complicated safeguards that are supposed to be very hard to disable because if you do disable them, horrible, horrible things happen.

There's also a whole thing where a whole bunch of calculations have to be done to do a jump that I think astromech droids are supposed to do, but bigger ships can just do them on the ship computer. The essential guide to droids used the amount of hyperspace coordinates a droid could store in their memory as some kind of a benchmark. If you try doing an attack with only one set of coordinates stored, I hope you have another ride home, or else you're going to be stuck there until you can recalculate your way back.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I never read the early Lando books, but the 90s books where Lando shows up, he makes a point of saying how much of a piece of poo poo he was before he gambled his way into owning Cloud City, and how he really got his act together once there were people depending on him.

There is that kind of dynamic in the movie where Lando sells out his buddy for the sake of the city, and then in the next movie he's some kind of high-level commanding officer in the Rebellion, while Han was never really anything but an unreliable contractor, sticking around because he kinda cares, but also constantly complaining and threatening to leave.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

karmicknight posted:

I got reminded of Centerpoint Station today and man oh man is it a loving trip.

Built by the bugnest orgy bugs to move, uh, planets for some reason.
Also a giant gun.
also people live in the giant gun.

It was supposed to be some kind of giant tow truck or crane moving celestial bodies around before they figured out how to use it as a giant gun eons later. All the people basically set up their homes on the walls of a giant reactor in sleep mode. Later Centerpoint would be used as a political symbol by Corellian separatist movements and was put on t-shirts, before eventually the Republic had enough of attempts to use it as a superweapon and blew it up.

And then after it was destroyed, it turned out that it had somehow been maintaining the Maw cluster of black holes as a prison for ancient cosmic space demon, and as that prison cracked open, its influence leaked into the galaxy, starting with the Jedi younglings that Luke had hidden in a space station near the Maw after Yavin got too dangerous. Oops.

Also worth noting that this is a case of authors throwing out weird background elements that get taken as plot hooks and picked up by other authors. Centerpoint first appeared in 1995, the spacebugs were written in 2005, and the space demon that they were commissioned to imprison was the focus of a book series starting in 2009, and the very last book that came out in 2012 was the one that tied in the spacebugs as the ones commissioned to make the Maw and also tied the demon into a 2011 episode of Clone Wars.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

My introduction to Luke's Jedi academy was the Junior Jedi Knight books, that I read after I ran out of Jedi Apprentice books. I think they were for a lower reading level than I was used to, and they basically amounted to your standard kids wandering off to find an amazing world kids' story like the magic treehouse books, but they still had some notable bits.

The books focused on Anakin Solo who was mostly in a class by himself because he was so much younger than Luke's first batch of kids. His one classmate was Tahiri, an orphan girl from Tatooine.

That little chinchilla thing is actually an ancient jedi master named Ikrit who they found hibernating in the Palace of Woolamander. He missed out on the Jedi purges by sleeping for 400 years. He was there because he found the golden globe behind him which is filled with the tortured souls of Massassi children that were imprisoned by an even more ancient sith lord to harvest their power. Only a force-sensitive child could safely touch the globe to release the souls though, so instead of...going back to Coruscant to get some younglings, he just decided to wait until some came his way.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I think I have a better picture.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Over time I've grown to dislike Grand Admiral Thrawn more, not just because I feel like his original trilogy was kinda dumb, but because the general principle of admiring your bad opponent for how smart he is has kinda soured on me. Thrawn reminds me a little of the way that some people idolize Rommel as "the good nazi" who doesn't really share the ideology of the regime he serves even though he'll serve it loyally.

A lot of that is still showing in Rebels where he's the smartest imperial, except the only reason why he's allowed to seem so smart is because he doesn't have some micromanaging boss to get angry at him for not winning quickly, and he has the freedom to fail while fighting the rebels. Any other imperial officer who tried that would get thrown out an airlock.

But I think the worst rehabilitation of Thrawn I've read so far is that apparently the Chiss dealt with some Yuuzhan Vong scout groups, and when Palpatine recruited Thrawn, it was with the idea that the galaxy needed to be prepared to defend itself from the Vong, and that's a justification for the whole Empire. So when Thrawn tried to go kill the New Republic, that was apparently because he thought the New Republic was too weak and sentimental to be ready to fight the Vong.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I think technically the sources that retcon Palpatine into knowing about and planning for the Vong invasion also go further to say that he was planning to conquer the whole of the galaxy and then use it to conquer the further reaches of the universe, but definitely that's a few steps further than he managed to get. I guess you always gotta have goals to reach for.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

The Sith cheat and break rules a lot. Inquisitors are in theory supposed to get less training than proper Sith, but they can still go rogue if you're not careful. Happened with Darth Maul, happened with Dooku's secret apprentice, Palpatine made Dooku get rid of Ventress.

At the very least, the rule means that wherever you find one Sith, there's another Sith hiding right behind them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Jedi holocrons are cubes, but Sith holocrons are pyramids. That's all I know for sure.

In Rebels they came up with the idea that if you use two of them together then you can answer any question in the universe, but they'll also explode, which seemed really dumb to me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

That's a reason to not bother trying to treat sith ideology like it's a serious idea worth considering because they're all evil jerks who think they're gonna be the ones to take control of the system instead of being devoured by it.

Kinda like real fascism, except real-world fascists often try to teach the lower-down followers some kind of subservience instead of being power-hungry, which I guess Palpatine got right.

I think in the emperor clone stories they implied that the emperor's soul couldn't be distributed between bodies at once, and then in the stories where Jedi get cloned without Palpatine's weird soul-transfer technique get more and more unstable. Also all of those stories were terrible, best not to mess with cloning magic.

Cornwind Evil posted:

in less than twenty years the Jedi went from being everywhere to basically unknown. Han Solo thinks they're a myth.

The biggest line of reasoning I've seen is that Jedi weren't necessarily all that common throughout the galaxy. There are plenty of planets where Jedi almost never visit, and especially during the clone wars, all the Jedi were busy fighting the war and even less visible to the common man.

But also if the Empire is doing their best to suppress the Jedi and stop anyone from celebrating them, then yeah, people will forget about them and doubt the few stories they do hear. There are people who doubt that the earth is round, and weird space-wizards are something that's pretty easy to doubt.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 24, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Also apparently the Force is well-known enough for the Rebels to use it as a generic blessing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I don't think much has been established about religion in the Star Wars galaxy outside of the Jedi order. That's a lot of what made that one guy in Rogue One so interesting (although I guess he's implied to have some latent ability?).

Han knows that people talk about the force and its power and whatever, he just doesn't believe in it. Presumably he saw a number of people come and go talking about the force and seeing that didn't do them any favors.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I do think at least some of the original Star Wars drafts implied that the Jedi went through some kind of long decline before getting snuffed out, so it's a little weird weird that in the prequels they're doing fairly well with only some vague concepts of being out of touch.

I think there's a problem with a lot of Star Wars works throughout the old EU and the new EU getting too hung up on the Jedi and implying that's the only unique draw of Star Wars, but it definitely didn't help that so much of the prequels were from a solely Jedi perspective.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

The Vong I think are disconnected from the force because they were originally symbiotes to a living planet and with the death of their planet, that left them broken and scarred to the point of losing their connection to the force and turning the survivors of their society into sadomasochistic juggalos.

Generally, no droids are connected to the force, but there's cyborgs and there's also sentient crystals in droid bodies that can use the force. Not technically robots.

With that one R5 unit that broke down, a bunch of different stories have been written explaining it as something other than a malfunction. In one R2-D2 sabotaged the droid, with another R2 explained his plight and that's why R5 sacrificed itself, it's weird. I think the novelization and radio play give alternate explanations, so it started before the EU was even a thing and may or may not still be part of the canon if it ever was in the first place.

Also the Great Heep collects Astromech droids and gives them a "droid harem" to pamper them and lull them into complacency before he feeds on them and drains them of energy. Weird show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Anakin came into his own fighting across the galaxy in the Clone Wars, and then after he lost everything, a new pseudo-father figure taught him to harness his hate and pain to keep fighting and killing across the galaxy.

But when you're working for an evil backstabber who manipulated you into killing everything you ever cared about, that's gonna lead to a rocky working relationship. I think the IDW comic has a pretty neat take, although it sometimes goes a bit weird. It really manages to imply emotion under the mask while leaving a lot of ambiguity. Also in the latest comic he got dumped on a planet with three limbs cut off so that he had to rebuild himself out of salvaged droids.