Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Porkins got retconned to survive in the Phineas and Ferb crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNAvOxDuU6I#t=131s

I like his parachute that he presumably rode from space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

Thrawn was absolutely Space Rommel in every way, and I don't think that's a knock against him in most of his appearances because in most of his appearances he's still just a villain who is ultimately trying to oppress people and curtail their freedoms, if one thats a bit more noble and likable and thus kind of tragic than typical for Imperials. But yes, the retcon concerning the Vong and the Empire being created to oppose them is beyond stupid in a thousand ways, not the least being that it ascribes altruism to Palpatine's motives. The fact that the Actual Nazi contingent of the Star Wars fanbase continues to parrot this talking point which is easily debunked using in-universe facts is one of the many reasons I don't engage with the Star Wars Fandom anymore.

Say what you will about the Post-Disney Star Wars Universe, but they sure as gently caress understand that the Empire was 100% bad all the way, period, and aren't constantly trying to rehabilitate it somehow because Stormtroopers are just so neato.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 14, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

The thing I always come back to is how much of the Imperial military was devoted entirely to maintaining its police state. There were like three of four Star Destroyers maintaining garrison on loving TATOOINE. Who thinks that there's NOT going to be internal revolt DURING the Vong Invasion if the Empire is still in power?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

AdmiralViscen posted:

They’re not space cops, they’re space CIA. Then for a 3 year span they are space special forces who attempt a coup

I really don't think the Jedi are analogous to either of those things. The Jedi are Knights. They're sworn to serve the Republic and are often enlisted for special jobs, but they also go do quests and stuff on their own in the name of the Republic's ideals. I SWORE AN OATH TO DEMOCRACY ANAKIN! and such.

They're kind of a weird anachronism but their unique powers, wealth and prestige allow them to keep making their weird niche relevant in modern society. The Republic has its own cops and CIA, it just also has this weird Monk Justice League that they can call in to do whatever weird job they need.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Lucas straight-up referred to the Jedi as the Mafia both on-set on the prequels and in his guidance for Filoni on Clone Wars

Mafia working on behalf of the government (but not its people) is close enough to CIA

Seems like Japanese Yakuza would be the best analogue in that framing. Big business, legitimized by the government in an official capacity but not in every aspect of their existence, romanticized and embraced by some communities because they make big public shows of being positive forces who stand up for the community and aid them in tough times, the reality of what they are obscured by the mythology and the code they claim to live by but constantly subvert for their own benefit.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

What I want to know is why the barbarian thigh-highs have cut out heels...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Shouldn't all life be connected to the force? Or are some thing just soulless?

Everything is connected to the force, not even just life. Yoda says the force is in the rocks, Rey's visions of things connected by the force includes the seas, etc. But only certain creatures are actually sensitive to its existence.

Its like a peanut allergy, except it gives you superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i like vader as villian in both EUs. he is big gently caress off power house who has enough dementions that writers can do various different types of stories with him.

i mean yeah basicaly. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/An_Incident_Report#:~:text=%22An%20Incident%20Report%22%20is%20a,view%20of%20Conan%20Antonio%20Motti.

Do you think he felt foolish when Luke used the Force to blow up his technological terror?