Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hosed up that I immediately thought "wait, is that the car he flipped and nearly killed himself in?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Why was Hayden Christensen replaced by Jim Parsons?

Because Lucas just can't leave it alone!!!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Annie Potts :swoon:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Because R2 knows that snitches get stitches and end up in ditches

Anyhow then John Roderick forced his daughter to eat a can of cold beans

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Purely speculation, but probably because a repurposed astromech droid, unlike a protocol droid, would neither have nor need the programming to understand human familial relationships.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He thinks it's funny. he's a dickhead

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
r2 was definitely smart enough to know he was being a little poo poo, I saw that fuckhead run off into that sandstorm.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

reignofevil posted:

r2 was definitely smart enough to know he was being a little poo poo, I saw that fuckhead run off into that sandstorm.

how dawude!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Does R2 know that Anakin=Vader? He stuck with Anakin post heel turn but Anakin’s dark deeds aren’t committed in his presence and I’m not sure if the new name is ever used in his hearing either

Anyway even if he does know, he’s probably too scared to bring it up. Remember Luke and Leia, who were sword wizards with godlike power, both knew Rey was the daughter of Triclops and didn’t bother tell her till after both of them were safe from all reprisal thanks to being dead

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine pulling up to work and there's a line of Star Destroyers in drive

Enjoy your 9-5 and unpaid 5-11

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not actually popular knowledge that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker. He's wearing a mask and going by a different name. R2-D2 wasn't even there to see how Anakin died, he and Obi-Wan just went hopping and jumping out into the lava fields of Mustafar and only Obi-Wan came back.

R2-D2 could've maybe pieced together that Luke was Anakin's son if he recognized the Lars family something like 30 years after meeting them the first time, but he was too busy with his mission and didn't give a poo poo about some farmers. He just tricked their idiot farmboy son so he could run off. And then after Obi-Wan tells Luke about his father, I guess R2 just never cares to make clear his relationship with Anakin. For all we know, he may make offhand comments, but C-3PO never bothers to translate (which 3PO never knows what's going on, he even turned himself off when Obi-Wan was doing his exposition).

R2-D2 is an old droid who does not give a gently caress.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The first Legends books after Episode 3 came out had Luke watching a bootleg camrip of the movie that R2 was hiding on his hard drive, so it seems like at least in that continuity, R2 knew what was up, but just didn't want Luke to know all the details.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SlothfulCobra posted:

R2-D2 is an old droid who does not give a gently caress.

Huh, maybe that's why they bleeped out all its dialog.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

R2 is just a typical mechanic. Beep boop I don't give a poo poo about your company politics, just tell me which power coupling needs fixing.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I genuinely think the answer is that R2 is acting under the guiding hand of the force throughout most of a new hope, and indeed throughout his entire monumental lil' droid life. Everything that happened to create darth vader was culminating in the moment that luke convinced him to chuck grandpa palpatine off a balcony because that is how the force willed those events to occur, even to the point of explicitly sending false visions of the future to both anakin and luke to bring this to pass and then I guess after all of that something something Rey Palpatine Skywalker happened.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1646491378740854784

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

reignofevil posted:

I genuinely think the answer is that R2 is acting under the guiding hand of the force throughout most of a new hope, and indeed throughout his entire monumental lil' droid life. Everything that happened to create darth vader was culminating in the moment that luke convinced him to chuck grandpa palpatine off a balcony because that is how the force willed those events to occur, even to the point of explicitly sending false visions of the future to both anakin and luke to bring this to pass and then I guess after all of that something something Rey Palpatine Skywalker happened.

Calvinist Star Wars.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHAwM15b23w

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Moon Slayer posted:

Calvinist Star Wars.
Well, in KotOR II, the Force is basically a stand-in for God and the Calvinist doctrine of predestination.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Huh, maybe that's why they bleeped out all its dialog.

Ah, a fellow crossword enjoyer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Force was always (post)-Calvinist God. Lucas was raised as a Methodist, and Methodism is part of the Arminian theological tradition which is basically “whoa, we like most of what John Calvin is doing but it makes us sad when he says God is an all-controlling Lovecraftian monster and free will doesn’t exist”. The Arminian answer to these points is conditional election. ie, God’s perfect knowledge leads him to know who will choose to accept the grace of Christ and be saved.

This emphasis on individual choice according with the will (or whills) of God is also exactly what we find in Star Wars. Vader or Luke or whoever is not simply fated to be good or evil, they must choose this. The force is with them, however, so that even if they have previously been evil as hell, upon choosing to do the right thing at last (such as throw their boss down a hole) they are saved.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

skasion posted:

The Force was always (post)-Calvinist God. Lucas was raised as a Methodist, and Methodism is part of the Arminian theological tradition which is basically “whoa, we like most of what John Calvin is doing but it makes us sad when he says God is an all-controlling Lovecraftian monster and free will doesn’t exist”. The Arminian answer to these points is conditional election. ie, God’s perfect knowledge leads him to know who will choose to accept the grace of Christ and be saved.

This emphasis on individual choice according with the will (or whills) of God is also exactly what we find in Star Wars. Vader or Luke or whoever is not simply fated to be good or evil, they must choose this. The force is with them, however, so that even if they have previously been evil as hell, upon choosing to do the right thing at last (such as throw their boss down a hole) they are saved.
That may be true for the movies and other 'true canon' material, but my point was that in KotOR II it is presented (or at least perceived) as being decidedly not about individual choice.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

skasion posted:

This is pretty much along the lines of what I'm saying except slather on a bit of "and the force, knowing which hearts will be receptive under which conditions, opts to have an entire planet destroyed to bring this occurrence about along with most of the stuff involving r2d2"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

That may be true for the movies and other 'true canon' material, but my point was that in KotOR II it is presented (or at least perceived) as being decidedly not about individual choice.

Kreia was wrong about literally everything, though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Yes Lord Vader, in those days the fashion of the Sith was massive implants. Front AND back. That's right, I had a DUMPY.

Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Kreia was wrong about literally everything, though.
Well yes, now that Ayn Rand and libertarianism are no longer en vogue, that much is obvious.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

nailing my 95 wookieepedia edits to the jedi temple door

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Abigail_Larson/status/1648862817536167936

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Millennium Falcon was actually inserted into Star Trek: First Contact as an easter egg (since ILM was also working on the Special Editions at the time):

A fan (who was later hired to design ships for Star Trek Online) also made a video detailing what the ship might "actually" look like in the Star Trek universe.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That vertically-aligned deflector dish is cute but also offending all my Star Trek ship design sensibilities :corsair:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It's space. It doesn't matter what direction things point.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently it's intended to be a "phaser repeater" that can bounce phaser fire around for multi-vector attacks without needing a bunch of high-powered warships, or extend the range of shorter range weapons.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Robot Style posted:

Apparently it's intended to be a "phaser repeater" that can bounce phaser fire around for multi-vector attacks without needing a bunch of high-powered warships, or extend the range of shorter range weapons.

That has some real “Command & Conquer expansion weapon that no one ever used” energy

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

That has some real “Command & Conquer expansion weapon that no one ever used” energy

Prism towers were in base RA2 and they were awesome, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tough little ship.