Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Also weird that the head doesn't count as a limb, but "entire upper body" does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

If I remember right, Gleeson and Driver are based on rumors at the time. Gleeson was rumored to be playing Luke's son (since he has red hair like Luke's wife in the EU), something that persisted even after information about him playing a neo-Imperial general started to come out.
Although most early reports correctly had Driver as a villain, it wasn't known what type he would be. It seems whoever made that poster put him in unrelated Boba Fett-esque armor that was supposed to appear in the film - this likely ended up referring to Captain Phasma and her roles as the cool new armored character who doesn't do anything.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Musluk posted:

I don't think there's any force usage thru holograms in the movies, so, tentatively I'd say 'because you can't be force choked thru' as a bonus for holograms.

But I'm sure some comic or cartoon had that.

Snoke's big head hologram floor slams Hux in TLJ

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The first movie's fight choreography also had to content with the in-camera lightsaber effect they were trying - the blades were wrapped in reflective movie screen material, and the hilts had motors that would rotate them in order to make them flicker. The sabers also had wires that ran up the actors sleeves to battery packs, so they were pretty clumsy to use and had to stay in very specific places in order to actually reflect the light correctly.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Always been perplexed that they have never fixed some of these shots

note I dont know if this is the most recent version. rather watch it than that youtube tho

The latest release on Disney+ has it fixed (which comes from the 4K restoration Lucas was working on before the sale), but placemat lore had already retconned that as being a result of Vader's Sith lightsaber having the ability to break an opponent's blade due to its powerful synthetic crystal.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's originally from the same Star Wars magazine article that invented a bunch of dumbass lightsaber forms to explain why there were more backflips in the prequels.

I've found some tiny scans of it online - it looks like it actually seems to imply the hosed up special effects are due to the "slow materialization" setting Obi-Wan used to prevent Vader from cutting through his lightsaber.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ha ha, the latest Vader comic revealed that Snoke actually was an obscure EU character all along. He was actually...

Luuke Skywalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hazo posted:

Was totally on board until the creepy Dooku/Ventress scene

Which is based on a statue based on a magazine cover, and Dooku doesn't seem to be happy to be there in any of them.