Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Darth Nihilus sounds cool.

He was pretty neat aside from the fact that he wore a clown mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

TIL that George Lucas is married and his wife is out of his league.

To be honest, so was his first wife.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Where's Vuffi Raa

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

moist turtleneck posted:

3p0 is absolutely a Skywalker

C-3P0's last name is Human Cyborg Relations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Accurate frog genitalia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Robot Style posted:

The latest release on Disney+ has it fixed (which comes from the 4K restoration Lucas was working on before the sale), but placemat lore had already retconned that as being a result of Vader's Sith lightsaber having the ability to break an opponent's blade due to its powerful synthetic crystal.

I thought that was just the explanation for why Obi-Wan's lightsaber turns on pretty slowly in that scene, not that his saber is supposed to be actively breaking onscreen.

There's some amazing fight choreography these days, but there's also a lot of stuff that's just kinda pointlessly flashy and overelaborate, and generally it really suffers when people are just miming to empty air for props and enemies that will be inserted with effects. And pouring too much time and money into just the fight and being flashy is never as good as focusing on the lead in or trying to tell a story with the fight. A lot of the time you can do more with less.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

uber_stoat posted:

“Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

That character is at least kind of a jokey reference, To me, the pinnacle of obscure Star Wars character action figures is this guy:

It's not only not a character anyone would ever recognize, it's not really a good toy because he's barely articulated. His arms move, but his body is just one solid piece of plastic. I kinda liked that it was both obscure and a character incapable of fighting to defend itself, but that's just my weird ideas from when I was 12.

I didn't actually know what this guy was from when I first got him. I assumed it was some senator in the background of some political scene, since it was part of the Attack of the Clones toyline, but apparently he's "Kren Blista Vanee" a guy who was an unnamed extra from some scene of Return of the Jedi that I don't remember at all.

He's also not the only one from this scene to get an action figure, but the other one's not the one I wish it was.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mArJbgixJ8

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I think in A New Hope, the blasters were mostly real guns firing blanks, and then by Empire Strikes Back, they had the budget to make entirely fake guns.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Somebody photoshopped an umgah into star wars?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

It's great when they have to voluntarily give themselves over to the aesthetic impressionism of the poster painter instead of just being able to get perfect photorealistic stills of the cast, or even just shots straight from the movie.

Sometimes there's a lot more drift in the poster than you'd want, but even then it's pretty cool.

skasion posted:

Kind of bummed we never got dual sword Vader

We did though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

No one seems to have a problem with their ghosts hanging around and guiding them after death.

Pedantic nerds are the worst.

The ghosts are implied to be more insubstantial and limited, so it is a bit different.

Although as much force power creep as there is otherwise, projecting an illusion is pretty small-scale.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXLDvx_tHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEPM-LEn55Y

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1343669303103479809

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

There was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3QlDWTvtrM

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

With great power comes great responsibility, my son.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I thought it was weird that after the throughline of the first movie was ostensibly that Luke had gone missing and the not-rebels were going through a lot of trouble to find him, Luke's on a pretty populated planet, and it's apparently one of the most sacred sites to the Jedi.

Maybe hire directors who will get along if you want to tell a coherent story over multiple entries.

reignofevil posted:

"We can't show a man drinking from a teat in our kids movie!"

"THAT'S HOW COWS WORK"

Not in America. You gotta put that through a machine to get rid of pathogens or else that's a milk crime.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Greedo's gloves were even worse about being overly long, although you don't see much of them.

Not as bad as this guy though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

If you draw a human head with the wrong proportions for the helmet, it doesn't fit. News at 11.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't recognize that guy. What's up with his left arm?

Palpatine decided Vader was hitting a slump and needed to re-prove his worth, so he cut off half his limbs and dumped him on a planet with the order to survive without using the force while Palpatine sent people to kill him. Vader had to rebuild himself with parts from old nonfunctioning droids, and his arm came from a super battle droid.

It's a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.