Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the good barometer for people who are mad about TLJ for all the worst reasons is if they argue it’s worse than all the prequel films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Agreed, it is way worse than all the prequel films.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Kill All Cops posted:

i like rogue one

i am onewiththeforceandtheforceiswithme

Rogue One should've leaned into the Space Mujahideen angle. Just have a rebel straight up suicide bomb an imperial patrol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Wait how could anybody dislike the lightspeed ramming scene, explain

BeCaUsE WhY dIdN't ThEy JuSt CrAsH a MoN CaL CrUiSeR iNtO tHe DeAtH sTaR

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the good barometer for people who are mad about TLJ for all the worst reasons is if they argue it’s worse than all the prequel films

I don't like TLJ but it's not; the prequels are abominations of filmmaking. TFA and TLJ want put the old cast on screen as much as possible for the nerdbux and suffer greatly for it. Han/Luke/Leia shouldn't have been in the movies at all.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ThingOne posted:

Rogue One should've leaned into the Space Mujahideen angle. Just have a rebel straight up suicide bomb an imperial patrol.

I think they wanted to do this and Disney kept reeling them back because like 99% of the movie is standard Star Wars stuff but more boring, but then every now and then there’s something weirdly dark out of nowhere like Diego Luna murdering that unarmed civilian because he could theoretically have been captured by the Empire at some point or Minigun Guy executing that wounded stormtrooper

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

I don't like TLJ but it's not; the prequels are abominations of filmmaking. TFA and TLJ want put the old cast on screen as much as possible for the nerdbux and suffer greatly for it. Han/Luke/Leia shouldn't have been in the movies at all.

The Luke stuff is the most compelling part of TLJ my dude

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think they wanted to do this and Disney kept reeling them back because like 99% of the movie is standard Star Wars stuff but more boring, but then every now and then there’s something weirdly dark out of nowhere like Diego Luna murdering that unarmed civilian because he could theoretically have been captured by the Empire at some point or Minigun Guy executing that wounded stormtrooper

Am I crazy or in the early trailers did Jyn face off vs. a TIE fighter on top of the giant dish thing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree

1Attack of the clones
2Empire
3TLJ (close with ROTS)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Am I crazy or in the early trailers did Jyn face off vs. a TIE fighter on top of the giant dish thing

Yeah I remember looking forward to that and being confused when the giant dish scene ended without any TIEs

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm forced to say that I fall firmly on the side of lightspeed ram bad. Yes it looks cool I won't deny it but it is incredibly obviously put in to distract from how weak the last jedi's actual plot is and it worked like a charm. Another problem I have with it is that like a lot of things in the last jedi when you re-watch the original trilogy with this new invented context it makes our likeable original cast more and more unintelligent looking for being ignorant of basic combat tactics like 'smash into them real fast' or to complain about other situations like where you can actually use the force to grab onto stuff and fly yourself through the vacuum of space if you get thrown out of your spaceship which means that when you see luke almost dying of hypothermia on hoth it is hard to even believe we're supposed to be scared for him. Making the older movies look dumb is a bad idea since the last jedi wasn't so fantastically wonderfully better and smarter that I actually kinda mind them loving up the good star wars!

Edit-
I have more to say at the end of empire strikes back luke should be able to fly himself away from the antennae he is hanging off of on cloud city. Sure sure he is being pulled down by gravity or whatever and theoretically that's not happening to space-leia but gently caress if the principle is even sound to begin with this franchise has people pulling star destroyers into planets and throwing physical objects through space-time via desert-magic making it canon that people could just be exerting their will to fly themselves past danger was a bad precedent

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 22, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

zoux posted:

The Luke stuff is the most compelling part of TLJ my dude

That's because he's the main character. Rey doesn't go to Luke to learn to Jedi, she goes to teach him how to love again stop running away. And then he force teleports and has a badass showdown with some walkers and Kylo and dies a heroic death. Meanwhile Rey turns down an offer to join the dark side and then decides she wants to be a hero in the last 5 minutes. 99% of the character development in the movie happens to Luke, Rey just kinda gets set up for the assumes sequel.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

If I were a huge nerd I’d also point out that I don’t think hyperspace was ever meant to be the ship actually accelerating to faster than the speed of light and that we already see a Star Destroyer drop out of hyperspace into a Rebel ship and it’s just a regular crash. Thankfully I’m not,

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Rey being an entirely backloaded character creates massive problems for the entire franchise if they hadn't wasted crucial time in The Force Awakens trying to fool audiences into believing Finn was potentially going to be our real main character and instead they had trusted the actress they had chosen and given her an actual character arc with some teeth in the movie for audiences to latch onto I think the franchise would have been on a much better footing.

Also none of this is me wanting less finn the problem was that Disney decided not to commit to finn and so as the franchise went on he got more and more shoved onto the sidelines in favor of Kylo and Rey. Committing to Finn as a main character would have been an equally valid way to make this work but Disney tried to use their entire first film as an extended trailer and marketing study for what their long term goals for the franchise should be and it was absolutely disastrous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

reignofevil posted:

ignorant of basic combat tactics

:nallears:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Which is a shame because it would've been a perfect update to the original trilogy's stance of "actually the Vietcong are the good guys".

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I refuse to believe someone wouldn't have volunteered c3p0 for the hyper space ram duty first thing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Actually the first cong were the bad guys too. :(

(Not in rl obv)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

reignofevil posted:

I refuse to believe someone wouldn't have volunteered c3p0 for the hyper space ram duty first thing

It’s hard and immoral to convince or order people to kill them selves

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
tlj creates a powerful dialectic between a hidebound luke and an italian futurist kylo ren, and i'm excited to see how tros carries on that theme (haven't seen it yet)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's my scorching rear end TLJ take: I don't think "Amazing, every word of what you just said is wrong" is a very good line.

exmarx posted:

tlj creates a powerful dialectic between a hidebound luke and an italian futurist kylo ren, and i'm excited to see how tros carries on that theme (haven't seen it yet)

Me neether but bowing to the realities of being extremely online and the futility of avoiding spoilers I read the wiki summary and well

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
List of appropriate combat tactics to use when playing Star Wars at my grandmas house

Falcon Ducking

Rancor Bone

Worm Bitezz (Dangerous!)

The Holdo <--- NO

Jump 2 ur death

Mynocs

I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm here to rescue you

Dirty Diner

Turn off power 2 the shields

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
all valid and battle tested combat tactics used by actual marines

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Pollyanna posted:

I liked about 3/4 of tlj, besides:

- canto bight is a good set piece but isn’t well integrated into the rest of the plot
- the slow chase is boring and frustrating
- the last 30~45 minutes are disney frantically trying to deny progress in Star Wars so they can sell more poo poo

crait is really cool except for the thematic backtracking the movie does

the thing is that if you understand who Rian Johnson is and what he believes, you realize that the final act wasn’t his auteur vision getting erased by corporate overlords, it was his own sincere beliefs made manifest

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember how Force television is a super deadly technique that killed Luke?

Well in the new one... it isn't.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

zoux posted:

that was never in the movie, it was only ever intended for the trailer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

yeah i would consider watching TLJ again but not the prequels; they're just unwatchable

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The stable geniuses strawmanning the lightspeed ram got it backwards, tactical realism isn't why people dislike the scene, tactical realism is why that scene exists in the first place. Nerds on forums probably wondered ever since the OT why someone didn't lightspeed kamikaze wasn't a thing because it makes total sense from a tactical realism pov (incidentally the same kind of person who asks why jedi don't just turn their own or the opponent's lightsaber off for tactical advantages), never realising that lightspeed ramming torpedoes suspension of disbelief entirely, because now people are wondering why no one thought about doing that before.

It's the more egregious version of lightspeeding inside a shield that they did in TFA that also was dumb as gently caress.

In a better movie people might have overlooked that, but then the rest of the movie was pretty terrible too

McCloud fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 22, 2020

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

There hasn't been a good Star Wars movie since 1983

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it just made for a cool looking scene that is then easy to explain away in some novel with how these cruisers are very expensive so nobody wants to be building cruisers just to crash them later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

The stable geniuses strawmanning the lightspeed ram got it backwards, tactical realism isn't why people dislike the scene, tactical realism is why that scene exists in the first place. Nerds on forums probably wondered ever since the OT why someone didn't lightspeed kamikaze wasn't a thing because it makes total sense from a tactical realism pov (incidentally the same kind of person who asks why jedi don't just turn their own or the opponent's lightsaber off for tactical advantages), never realising that lightspeed ramming torpedoes suspension of disbelief entirely, because now people are wondering why no one thought about doing that before.

It's the more egregious version of lightspeeding inside a shield that they did in TFA that also was dumb as gently caress.

In a better movie people might have overlooked that, but then the rest of the movie was pretty terrible too

Would ya say it ruined your immersion? Pulled you right out of the movie?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Here's my scorching rear end TLJ take: I don't think "Amazing, every word of what you just said is wrong" is a very good line.

That's the best line in the film, and quite possibly the ST

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Would ya say it ruined your immersion? Pulled you right out of the movie?

Nah, it did make me go "well that's dumb as gently caress" though

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Roth posted:

I think it just made for a cool looking scene that is then easy to explain away in some novel with how these cruisers are very expensive so nobody wants to be building cruisers just to crash them later.

Or the window between hitting lightspeed and entering hyperspace is too small to be practical in a battle where the enemy isn't explicitly ignoring you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

Nah, it did make me go "well that's dumb as gently caress" though

Like in the moment? lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Like in the moment? lol

Nah, after the "oooh neat" bit

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My supposition is that the hyperspace ram only worked because of the hyperspace tracking in use due to technobabble. I dont care if this is not mentioned or even actively refuted in the movie, it makes sense and solves a lot of problems and I'm sticking to it. Also maybe something about the first order having their shields down because they long chase made them complacent.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

rip admiral ackbar

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If only he had looked into the camera at the last minute and said "I'm the Juggernaut bithc" it wouldve save'd the film. Alas.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You would have to be pretty youtube brain-damaged to think The Last Jedi was anything but Rian Johnson attempting to turn twitter discourse into a movie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But i guess that works for the kind of people who need youtube nerds to explain to them the extremely obvious ideologies of mass market kids movies.