Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

People are irl mad about one of the most striking visual scenes in the whole ennead because of tactical realism

It's me, I'm the nerd mad about that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The stable geniuses strawmanning the lightspeed ram got it backwards, tactical realism isn't why people dislike the scene, tactical realism is why that scene exists in the first place. Nerds on forums probably wondered ever since the OT why someone didn't lightspeed kamikaze wasn't a thing because it makes total sense from a tactical realism pov (incidentally the same kind of person who asks why jedi don't just turn their own or the opponent's lightsaber off for tactical advantages), never realising that lightspeed ramming torpedoes suspension of disbelief entirely, because now people are wondering why no one thought about doing that before.

It's the more egregious version of lightspeeding inside a shield that they did in TFA that also was dumb as gently caress.

In a better movie people might have overlooked that, but then the rest of the movie was pretty terrible too

McCloud fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 22, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Here's my scorching rear end TLJ take: I don't think "Amazing, every word of what you just said is wrong" is a very good line.

That's the best line in the film, and quite possibly the ST

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Would ya say it ruined your immersion? Pulled you right out of the movie?

Nah, it did make me go "well that's dumb as gently caress" though

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Like in the moment? lol

Nah, after the "oooh neat" bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Someone describes TLJ as the perfect encapsulation of the Pre-Trump political zeitgeist and that's just perfect imo