Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People are irl mad about one of the most striking visual scenes in the whole ennead because of tactical realism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SJWs win again I'm sorry to say

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“Hello there”

Also I rewatched ANH for the first time in ages over Xmas and I dunno if it was just the special edition pissing me off but I gotta say: TLJ is the second best SW movie

Also also imo Adam Driver’s “please” to Rey in the throne room aftermath is perhaps the best line reading in Star wars

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Wait how could anybody dislike the lightspeed ramming scene, explain

BeCaUsE WhY dIdN't ThEy JuSt CrAsH a MoN CaL CrUiSeR iNtO tHe DeAtH sTaR

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

I don't like TLJ but it's not; the prequels are abominations of filmmaking. TFA and TLJ want put the old cast on screen as much as possible for the nerdbux and suffer greatly for it. Han/Luke/Leia shouldn't have been in the movies at all.

The Luke stuff is the most compelling part of TLJ my dude

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think they wanted to do this and Disney kept reeling them back because like 99% of the movie is standard Star Wars stuff but more boring, but then every now and then there’s something weirdly dark out of nowhere like Diego Luna murdering that unarmed civilian because he could theoretically have been captured by the Empire at some point or Minigun Guy executing that wounded stormtrooper

Am I crazy or in the early trailers did Jyn face off vs. a TIE fighter on top of the giant dish thing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

reignofevil posted:

ignorant of basic combat tactics

:nallears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's my scorching rear end TLJ take: I don't think "Amazing, every word of what you just said is wrong" is a very good line.

exmarx posted:

tlj creates a powerful dialectic between a hidebound luke and an italian futurist kylo ren, and i'm excited to see how tros carries on that theme (haven't seen it yet)

Me neether but bowing to the realities of being extremely online and the futility of avoiding spoilers I read the wiki summary and well

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

The stable geniuses strawmanning the lightspeed ram got it backwards, tactical realism isn't why people dislike the scene, tactical realism is why that scene exists in the first place. Nerds on forums probably wondered ever since the OT why someone didn't lightspeed kamikaze wasn't a thing because it makes total sense from a tactical realism pov (incidentally the same kind of person who asks why jedi don't just turn their own or the opponent's lightsaber off for tactical advantages), never realising that lightspeed ramming torpedoes suspension of disbelief entirely, because now people are wondering why no one thought about doing that before.

It's the more egregious version of lightspeeding inside a shield that they did in TFA that also was dumb as gently caress.

In a better movie people might have overlooked that, but then the rest of the movie was pretty terrible too

Would ya say it ruined your immersion? Pulled you right out of the movie?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

Nah, it did make me go "well that's dumb as gently caress" though

Like in the moment? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If only he had looked into the camera at the last minute and said "I'm the Juggernaut bithc" it wouldve save'd the film. Alas.