Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
the dune buggy chase in Nemesis was the best Trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It might've been if they had suddenly ramped off of q's naked body because he loving got in trouble again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"oh hey what's that?"
"it';s fuckin' Q he got punishment again"
"let's launch off him"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
catchin sick air off john de lancie's rear end

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The one bastion of light in this garbage subforum

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Evel Qnievel

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I liked the Star Trek where Kurt Russell went back in time to fight Egyptian gods.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Abrams be like "Star Trek needs more Beastie Boys"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Next to the human was Nitram, and next to him was a female with spots encircling her face just under her hairline. Ele'er knew that there were two species with that characteristic, but she couldn't remember either of them. Taking a wild guess, she said, "Betazoid female?"

"No. That is a Kriosian female, though I would have credited you if you had said Trill, since you have never seen this segment and are not aware that its host is from Krios. Next one?"

This was a person with blue skin and no hair. She remembered that Andorians had blue skin. "Andorian chan."

Mother's lips pursed for the first time since she arrived, which meant her displeasure was even worse. She made several notes on the padd, and Ele'er feared she was setting a record for demerits this lesson. "No that's a Bolian male. Andorians have an antennae."

And I was so proud of remembering the Andorian genders. Ele'er tried not to sigh.

"The final one?"

This last one she knew: "An Efrosian male."

"Very good. I will now play the recording of the show, and you will watch it. When it is over, I will quiz you on its contents. If you have a question at any point, I will pause the recording and you may ask."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Fun fact Troi was actually betazoid and this poo poo about the spots is just that, bullshit! Author ain't even gettin the aliens right!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Was this something you overheard at a comiccon?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TremorX posted:

Abrams be like "Star Trek needs more Beastie Boys"

ugh, gently caress, i had forgotten about that... it's all coming back to me now...

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I wasn't really excited until I found out we were gonna have a quiz

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Ele'er stared intently at the hologram.

The Kriosian woman spoke when Mother started the playback.

"Good evening. This is Illuminating the City of Lights, I'm your host, Velisa. It has been two months since Federation president Nan Bacco took the oath of office, after winning a close election against Ktarian Special Emissary Fel Pagro. Tonight on ICL, we'll be examining President Bacco's first eight weeks in office. Is she taking the Federation in a new direction after seven years of Min Zife? Is she simply treading water? Or is she floundering on the galactic stage?"

Velisa started introducing the panel, starting with the Efrosian and going down the line.

"With me tonight to discuss these issues are Ra-Yalix, a foreign policy advisor for Presidents Amitra and Jaresh Inyo; Sovan, the chief Earth correspondent for Bolarus and You; Federation Councillor Nitram of Bre'el IV; and retired Starfleet Admiral Taela Shanthi. Welcome, all of you."

Each of the panelists made some kind of acknowledgement. Shanthi bobbed her head once, Sovan muttered something Ele'er couldn't make out, and Ra-Yalix smiled. Nitram, naturally, brought his fists to his chest as was proper.

"Admiral Shanthi how do you feel Bacco is handling the Romulan Crisis?"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
All names we should be excited to hear will be bolded for audience convenience, up until now all textual alterations have been directly from the book.

quote:

The human woman folded her arms on the desk in front of her. "I believe the solution that was brokered by Captain Riker of the U.S.S Titan was one that will eventually lead to stability in the region."

"And I think you're out of your mind," the Bolian said.

"Sovan--" Velisa started.

"No, Velisa this is ridiculous. The Romulan Empire's a disaster area. Most of the senate was assassinated by a Reman, who later got blown up by Starfleet, and now you've got fifty factions vying for power, and what's Starfleet's brilliant idea? Bring the Klingons in."

Ra Yelix spoke up then. "The Remans wouldn't accept being a federation protectorate, Sovan. What else were they supposed to do? The Remans engineered a coup d'etat on a scale unseen in recent history. With Shinzon and most of his inner circle dead, they don't have the resources to govern themselves, but they were hardly about to go back to being slaves."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tuvix was force sensitive. just saying, maybe hes a force ghost out there somewhere

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jedi actually eventually become vulcans... once they get over their violence (light labers)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

"I'll grant you that," Sovan said, "but to give them protectorate status under the Klingons? "

Shanthi scowled. "The Klingons will do what they promise. They will ensure that the Remans are given the opportunity to determine their own fate. They will also focus the warring factions among the Romulans."

Sovan made a snorting noise. "Romulans and Klingons being angry with eachother has always been a recipe for disaster, not peace."

"I have a question" Ele'er said. Mother stopped the playback. "Who are the Remans?"

Mother made a note on her padd. "Where is the seat of the Romulan empire?"

"Romulus."

"What is Romulus sister planet?"

Ele'er's skin fold tightened. "I did not know it had one."

"It does. It's called Remus, and on that planet lives a mutated offshoot of the Romulans, who served as slave labor. Or, rather, they did until a Reman named Shinzon engineered the elimination of the praetor and the ruling senate. Then he was killed, and that left a power vacuum in the empire."

"I understand." Now what everyone was saying made more sense to Ele'er. If the government fell -- if, in fact, two governments fell in succession -- that would leave the Romulan Star Empire in chaos.

Mother resumed playback.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
ds9 was good, and explored some interesting ideas about religion

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

the dune buggy chase in Nemesis was the best Trek

That was all Patrick Stewart's idea, by the way. Dude's big into off-roading and went "I want Picard to drive a jeep, goddammit." So they did.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUvgE-PlAqo

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I thought the federation capital was San Francisco.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I move that we also open a Star Wars vs Star Trek subforum, even though it has been conclusively proven that Star Wars (SW) would win due to being way cooler.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I thought the federation capital was San Francisco.

Star Fleet Headquarters is in San Fran. The capital is in Paris. Don't asky why. Gene was weird

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

star treks.......the final frontier.....these are the starship, voyager.......

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Remember when Star Trek said the hyper evolved state of humans was giant space salamanders who gently caress on swamp planets?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Squizzle posted:

star treks.......the final frontier.....these are the starship, voyager.......

[five minute song about a woman wailing about how much she wants to gently caress space or something]

Seriously Gene wrote lyrics to the TOS theme purely so he could make money off of Alexander Courage's work. Gene was kind of a prick like that.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember when they just "de-evolved" those newts and turned them back into people after they had hosed? Could they also turn the newt babies into people?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

reignofevil posted:

Fun fact Troi was actually betazoid and this poo poo about the spots is just that, bullshit! Author ain't even gettin the aliens right!
Ele'er guessed Betazoid because she's a moron who can't even tell the difference between an Andorian and a Bolian.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Star Fleet Headquarters is in San Fran. The capital is in Paris. Don't asky why. Gene was weird

If it took us 30 seconds to get from San Fran to Paris, we'd probably rethink city planning, too.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
In my humble opinion the Star Trek movie where they go back in time to fish out some whales, is the best Star Trek movie.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Improvised Star Trek is both the longest running and best Star Trek series.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

"We're getting off the subject a bit," Velisa said.

"Not really," Sovan said, "because my problem isn't with the solution that Starfleet came up with, it's that Bacco agreed to it without any hesitation or consultation."

Shanthi shook her head, "That is incorrect. Ambassador Spock spoke before the council in order to--"

Sovan laughed. "Ambassador Spock? First of all, Spock hasn't been a proper ambassador for ten years. He's been living on Romulus on an unsanctioned mission--"

"Actually the mission was sanctioned," Ra-Yalix said. "The council endorsed Spock's endeavor to achieve unification between the Romulans and the Vulcans."

"And never mind the fact that Vulcan is part of the Federation." Sovan shook his head. "That doesn't make him the right person to consult on this solution, if you ask me. Plus, what about the fiasco with Tamok"

Councillor Nitram said, "Ambassador T'Kala was responsible for deceiving the president and the council into believing that Archpriest Tamok was coming to the Federation for an audience with us."

"Yes," Sovan said "and a consultation with an actual Romulan spiritual leader might've been a bit more useful than one with a rogue ambassador with an agenda."

"Sovan--" Ra-Yalix began, but the Bolian would not stop talking. Ele'er found him to be very rude.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is really funny that Gene Roddenberry likes attention so much that he was willing to completely engage with the people who want to Captain Kirk and Spock to kiss because if they were paying attention to Star Trek then they were paying attention to him sort of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also it's just really funny that we know the exact first fanzine distributed Kirk/:spock: fan fiction. What a loving time capsule