Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

thicc crinkly data came across fine in the episode itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I was gonna post some of chapter 2 but man it looks like the first 2 pages are really really boring

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

reignofevil posted:

I was gonna post some of chapter 2 but man it looks like the first 2 pages are really really boring

jazz it up with some hot sex, it is not like anybody is checking the source material

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

does the sex candle show up again in the EU?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

oh but seriously I posted:

yeah it's in nemesis

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've always felt like Star Wars is just "bigger" than Star Trek. Not like in amount of cultural impact, but in how there's just so much more different Star Wars material, more books, more games, and there's so many more differing takes on the world, while almost every piece of Star Trek media is focused on the same sort of basic experience of a starship crew on a bridge. It never took on the same sort of life of its own that the EU did.

There's also the fact that the bulk of Star Wars media content blossomed within the last 30 years, so it's easier to see what is influenced by it, whereas most of the basics of Star Trek has already disseminated throughout the whole of pop culture over 50 years, so a lot of what you could consider as spinoffs or material with heavy star trek influence is just its own thing with its own independent identity, and the best Star Trek movie doesn't even legally have any association with the IP.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

does star wars even have a sex candle tho?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

the best Star Trek movie doesn't even legally have any association with the IP.

Galaxy Quest?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've always felt like Star Wars is just "bigger" than Star Trek. Not like in amount of cultural impact, but in how there's just so much more different Star Wars material, more books, more games, and there's so many more differing takes on the world, while almost every piece of Star Trek media is focused on the same sort of basic experience of a starship crew on a bridge. It never took on the same sort of life of its own that the EU did.

There's also the fact that the bulk of Star Wars media content blossomed within the last 30 years, so it's easier to see what is influenced by it, whereas most of the basics of Star Trek has already disseminated throughout the whole of pop culture over 50 years, so a lot of what you could consider as spinoffs or material with heavy star trek influence is just its own thing with its own independent identity, and the best Star Trek movie doesn't even legally have any association with the IP.

You might be surprised actually at how much Star Trek media really is out there.

Star Trek has a whole ecosystem of novels just like the Star Wars EU. Plus it's got 5 TV series that are generally part of fandom (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, and VOY), two series that are also-rans (ENT and DIS), a new series currently in production, a shitload of movies, and a truly staggering amount of toys. And who even knows how many video-games by now.

Star Trek never really broke into mainstream popularity, at least not Star Wars-level popularity. But it's definitely got Star Wars beat on content, at least by volume.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 30, 2020

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Poopernickel posted:

two series that are also-rans (ENT)

I love Enterprise fwiw

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't mean in terms of raw amount of content, although it would be interesting calculating how many episodes of a TV show a videogame counts as, and it's another interesting question comparing the density of material being release over time, since Star Trek had a few decades of a head start. I mean like as far as I know, all the Star Trek novels are just about cast members of the shows, following in their footsteps creating the same basic kind of content, despite the difference of media format. There's no branching out into different aspects of the universe, or even finding an identity beyond just ancillary material.

The Star Wars EU ran the gamut between showing you the lives of Jedi, apprentices, bounty hunters, smugglers, soldiers, pilots, politicians, sith, jawas, droids, ewoks, and even construction workers. Not just on a shallow level like with the tales books, but to the point that the EU is broad enough that Star Wars ends up meaning different things to different people, as opposed to just picking your favorite flavor of spaceship crew exploring the galaxy.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

My friend used to say that Star Trek: The Original Series was a Shakespearean play about the relationship between 3 men; Kirk, Spock, and Bones. The galaxy and its machinations were a backdrop that helped drive complex character development between them. And then TNG happened and it was a wacky adventure with ensemble cast in spaaaaaaaace! :downs:

I didn't really watch TOS but maybe he's right, I dunno. I like TNG but it's definitely dumb swashbuckling fantasy set in teh future.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

it would be interesting calculating how many episodes of a TV show a videogame counts as
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgment Rites count as 7 and 8 episodes respectively.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
bones: he's dead, jim

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like everything sci fi from the 60s, save 2001, TOS is impossibly dated

e: th emovies are mostly good though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Asimov posted:

My friend used to say that Star Trek: The Original Series was a Shakespearean play about the relationship between 3 men; Kirk, Spock, and Bones. The galaxy and its machinations were a backdrop that helped drive complex character development between them. And then TNG happened and it was a wacky adventure with ensemble cast in spaaaaaaaace! :downs:

I didn't really watch TOS but maybe he's right, I dunno. I like TNG but it's definitely dumb swashbuckling fantasy set in teh future.

Your friend's an idiot because the original series was totally a wacky adventure in space and Scotty was the best one anyways.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Poopernickel posted:

Star Trek never really broke into mainstream popularity, at least not Star Wars-level popularity.

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/potus-star-trek/

Trek is definitely mainstream. It's just never been cool to run around with a toy phaser in the way it's cool to run around with a toy lightsaber. Star Wars has been banking on its sexy 1970's vibe and falters when it deviates from that feeling. Mandalorian versus the prequels, for example. Trek is rooted in 60's politics and Shatner's wigs. I mean, it's quite unmoored from that now but I'm guessing Picard will take it back in that direction. Not gonna watch it until I can binge the whole thing with a free trial.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Your friend's an idiot because the original series was totally a wacky adventure in space and Scotty was the best one anyways.

I watched the Corbomite Maneuver last night, an episode where kirk bluffs a dummy alien into standing down and ends with him leaving a crew member on the ship of an adult-voiced baldheaded child in need of an orthodontist.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it might have been clint howard. hard to say.

i guess it was Clint howard, age 7.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 30, 2020

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uxTpyCdriY

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgment Rites count as 7 and 8 episodes respectively.

What about Star Trek: Bridge Commander

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

obsessed w the idea of a cartoon about a ferengi cheerfully steering down the great material continuum: stembolt willie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Squizzle posted:

obsessed w the idea of a cartoon about a ferengi cheerfully steering down the great material continuum: stembolt willie

They literally have a franchise with action figures in canon; Marauder Mo

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've always felt like Star Wars is just "bigger" than Star Trek.

this is an illusion. not because star trek is bigger than you think but because star wars is smaller.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
riker was set up. theres an episode where geordi turns into a gross-rear end glowy-veined nightmare monster and he gets transformed back into human in like 5 minutes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Up Circle posted:

riker was set up. theres an episode where geordi turns into a gross-rear end glowy-veined nightmare monster and he gets transformed back into human in like 5 minutes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*goes in for routine allergy shot*
*dr mixes up spray tubes*
*metamorphoses into inside-out nitemare monster*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

Like everything sci fi from the 60s, save 2001, TOS is impossibly dated

e: th emovies are mostly good though.

what the gently caress does "impossibly dated" mean. are you loving talking poo poo about TOS

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oh but seriously I posted:

no it was banned in the EU because it contributed to the perpetuation of harmful stereotypes about scots

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Data with a beard is cursed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't mean in terms of raw amount of content, although it would be interesting calculating how many episodes of a TV show a videogame counts as, and it's another interesting question comparing the density of material being release over time, since Star Trek had a few decades of a head start. I mean like as far as I know, all the Star Trek novels are just about cast members of the shows, following in their footsteps creating the same basic kind of content, despite the difference of media format. There's no branching out into different aspects of the universe, or even finding an identity beyond just ancillary material.

The Star Wars EU ran the gamut between showing you the lives of Jedi, apprentices, bounty hunters, smugglers, soldiers, pilots, politicians, sith, jawas, droids, ewoks, and even construction workers. Not just on a shallow level like with the tales books, but to the point that the EU is broad enough that Star Wars ends up meaning different things to different people, as opposed to just picking your favorite flavor of spaceship crew exploring the galaxy.

its a bunch of factors but its all rooted in the more "realistic" science and the continuation of our own history. the galaxy is inhabited by overwhelmingly humanoid aliens and is pretty well explored, atleast by the time of TNG. everywhere you go, the federation is there and everyone is pretty much the same. You never get the feeling of distance that you do in star wars.

voyager should have been different but rick berman didn't want to take any risks so its more humans everywhere and it all feels the same as TNG.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

Data with a beard is cursed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shaggar posted:

its a bunch of factors but its all rooted in the more "realistic" science and the continuation of our own history. the galaxy is inhabited by overwhelmingly humanoid aliens and is pretty well explored, atleast by the time of TNG. everywhere you go, the federation is there and everyone is pretty much the same. You never get the feeling of distance that you do in star wars.

voyager should have been different but rick berman didn't want to take any risks so its more humans everywhere and it all feels the same as TNG.

DS9 had a few episode with places outside the Federation, like when O'Brien went undercover with the space mafia and Ezri went back to visit her hosed up family.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah those eps are the only time you get a feel for stuff outside the federation and its totally different from normal trek

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

For three full decades, on television and in film, actor William Shatner has portrayed one of the most dynamic heroes of science fiction: James Tiberius Kirk, captain of the Starship Enterprise. Although Kirk appeared to perish at the conclusion of Star Trek Generations, the big national bestseller, The Return, revealed the amazing story of Kirk's resurrection.

Now William Shatner brings his distinctive blend of talents as actor, writer, director, and producer to continue the saga of Jim Kirk's second life -- and to reunite one of the greatest teams of any future century....

A lethal virus, inimical to all conventional forms of plant life, threatens the entire Federation with starvation and dissolution. With the Federation already on the brink of overpopulation, Starfleet's resources are stretched to their limit. Whole worlds and even complete star systems are placed under quarantine, causing interstellar food supplies to run dangerously low, and hostile alien empires to eye the weakened Federation with malevolence. But now, in this moment of Starfleet's greatest need, Captain James T. Kirk, long believed dead, embarks on a desperate quest to find the true source of the mysterious virus.

Elsewhere in the galaxy, Ambassador Spock, his diplomatic efforts stalled by the spread of famine and chaos, returns to his native world of Vulcan to confront a mystery of a deeply personal nature. Did Sarek, his legendary father, really die of natural causes -- or was he murdered? Determined to learn the truth, Spock begins a highly logical investigation that soon leads him to a reunion with a long-lost friend he never expected to see again.

Kirk and Spock, together again, must join forces to save a new generation from an awesome menace unleashed by a ruthless interplanetary conspiracy. Pursued by hidden assassins and aided by old lovers and unlikely new allies, the two heroes risk everything, only to find themselves confronted by the one man who might be able to stop them -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise NCC-1701-E.

Full of high adventure and powerful drama, Star Trek: Avenger is an engrossing new Star Trek epic -- and a moving tale of past memories and new hope that only William Shatner could tell.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Asimov posted:

I like TNG but it's definitely dumb swashbuckling fantasy set in teh future.

Sounds like you've watched all of 3 TNG episodes from season 1.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

TipTow posted:

Sounds like you've watched all of 3 TNG episodes from season 1.

?? gambit was in early season 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Inexplicably my wife and I have now managed to watch all of tng, ds9, and Voyager. Honestly the finale to voy was great, anything that combines Janeway and time travel was great watching.

Now onto as much of Enterprise as we can stand!