Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The B wing is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Who What Now posted:

The B wing is garbage

it doesn't even look like a b

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

also they don't even have any of these letters, they use all weird space letters, why do they name them after roman letters

ty manifisto

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It's supposed to be a coincidence

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

alnilam posted:

also they don't even have any of these letters, they use all weird space letters, why do they name them after roman letters

they have both, i think

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I always thought the names represented how fast they were compared to each other. The a wing is obviously the fastest because we see everyone who drives it suicidally crash into something, then the b wing, makes sense cause theres not very much going on there so its probably pretty light, plus its aerodynamic. Obviously, x wings are pretty slow too. and the y wing is like driving a dump truck or something.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TremorX posted:

It's supposed to be a coincidence

youre supposed to be a coincidence!!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

alnilam posted:

youre supposed to be a coincidence!!

No, I'm an accident, there's a difference

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like the one place where a gyroscopically oriented cockpit is detrimental is in space

Of course the very idea of human star fighter pilots in a universe where sentient AI exists is laughable but space dogfighting is too cool to let physics stand in the way

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

Like the one place where a gyroscopically oriented cockpit is detrimental is in space

Of course the very idea of human star fighter pilots in a universe where sentient AI exists is laughable but space dogfighting is too cool to let physics stand in the way

You're high as hell if you think space opera is at all about a realistic depiction of space in any function.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do not think that

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Woah, the SNES got the button labels it has because some hardware designer was a star wars nerd.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Up Circle posted:

I always thought the names represented how fast they were compared to each other. The a wing is obviously the fastest because we see everyone who drives it suicidally crash into something, then the b wing, makes sense cause theres not very much going on there so its probably pretty light, plus its aerodynamic. Obviously, x wings are pretty slow too. and the y wing is like driving a dump truck or something.

B-wing are called this because they're blockade busters. And like F-35s, they're mechanically complex to potentially fulfill generalist tasks and thus were poo poo at all of them while being maintenance heavy.

(IRL reason, which is hilarious, is because the VFX people were designing two new starfighters for the RotJ movie and called them A-fighter and B-fighter early on)

Speedwise, A-wings were the fastest, beating out all common starfighters (before the First Order weenies decided to make their TIE-fighters the fastest to win at fascist space-dick waving contests), followed by X-Wings (matching old-school TIE-fighters), then B-wings and finally Y-wings that fall behind even a worn-out Corellian freighter.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
B wings are cool because they have big wings to carry massive ordnance with. Also their design exudes power.
Tie Defenders are cool because they look like tie fighters that also want to be x wings.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
B wings never seem to be carrying all that much ordinance, though.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

they have the biggest guns ever soon on a small jet

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

B wings are cool because they have big wings to carry massive ordnance with. Also their design exudes power.
Tie Defenders are cool because they look like tie fighters that also want to be x wings.

They barely have wings at all. they have like t-rex wings

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zoux posted:

how so?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sage Grimm posted:

Speedwise, A-wings were the fastest, beating out all common starfighters (before the First Order weenies decided to make their TIE-fighters the fastest to win at fascist space-dick waving contests), followed by X-Wings (matching old-school TIE-fighters), then B-wings and finally Y-wings that fall behind even a worn-out Corellian freighter.

interestingly this isn't what ILM had in mind when they were working on Return of the Jedi:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Up Circle posted:

They barely have wings at all. they have like t-rex wings

it's like 70% wing and Gun my dude.
it's visually meant to be a heavy shooter type thing

x wing guns say blap blap blap
B wing guns probably say something like GLOF GLOF BRAOM

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

any fighter with 6 torpedoes and ion cannons > the rest, because that is all you need to solo star destroyers

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

interestingly this isn't what ILM had in mind when they were working on Return of the Jedi:

TIE = Y is really loving me up

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wild Horses posted:

it's like 70% wing and Gun my dude.
it's visually meant to be a heavy shooter type thing

x wing guns say blap blap blap
B wing guns probably say something like GLOF GLOF BRAOM

It's guns look almost the same as the X-wings.

Plus having one gun like 40 feet away from the other 2 is bad design. It's gonna be shooting way off into nowhere. It's a garbage fighter compared to the superior Y-wing

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think the idea behind ships like the B-Wing and the Tie Bomber is that you engage from beyond visual range then gently caress off. If you're using the guns, you're either disabling a freighter, or there's an interdictor in system and poo poo has gone terribly wrong.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Who What Now posted:

It's guns look almost the same as the X-wings.

Plus having one gun like 40 feet away from the other 2 is bad design. It's gonna be shooting way off into nowhere. It's a garbage fighter compared to the superior Y-wing

All real estate dedicated to wing and gun= bigger and strong
X wing has very little dedicated to cannon, it’s a more pin point shooter and uses torpedoes to kill

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Y'all keep this on the down low but I heard Gamma 1 is the Emperor's stool pigeon.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I can also accept b wing cannon to have a sharp KASHYYUUNn sound

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wild Horses posted:

All real estate dedicated to wing and gun= bigger and strong
X wing has very little dedicated to cannon, it’s a more pin point shooter and uses torpedoes to kill

The B-wing has WAAAAAAY more wing than gun compared to the X-wing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is no up or down in space. It doesn't matter because it's about looking cool and mimicking old school WWII fighter plane movies but it's interesting to see what some will accept as perfectly fine unrealistic things while other unrealistic things are Bullshit. As I've said the idea of human-crewed space fighter planes is absurd irl, but again, it's too cool to let that get in the way.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Who What Now posted:

The B-wing has WAAAAAAY more wing than gun compared to the X-wing.

but it does have bigger guns. more wign and gun equals more power. this is very obvious

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Missile boat > *

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
playing TIE Fighter taught me the secret to A-wing supremacy is their tiny target silhouette.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wild Horses posted:

but it does have bigger guns. more wign and gun equals more power. this is very obvious

It objectively has 25% less guns. 50% less if you don't count the dumb tailfin gun, which you should not, because it's dumb!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
B wing, more like boondoggle wing. Just try to fly that thing without a 3rd person view.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

MJP posted:

Missile boat > *

Hated fighting its predecessor the assault gunboat in the first X-Wing game. Took incredible amounts of punishment and just kept throwing out missiles if you ever let them out of your sights.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hang on a second the x wing and b wing are the only ones that even have wings wtf

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Did a loving Y-wing kill the first death star?

Did a loving B-Wing or A-Wing kill the second death star?

No. The superior design, the X-Wing, did.

4 engines, 4 laser cannons, 2 torpedo launchers and Wedge loving Antilles in the pilot seat.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

wedge antilles didnt kill either death star, troll. get in an x wing and fly away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Tsed posted:

any fighter with 6 torpedoes and ion cannons > the rest, because that is all you need to solo star destroyers

Yeah, I managed several Star Destroyer kills in X-Wing thanks to my Y-Wing taking out the shields then ion bolting the sucker to helplessness and after clearing the other enemies just parking and blasting it dead before I left the mission. Got pretty funny during the campaign to destroy the Star Destroyer Invincible when I had killed the thing repeatedly in multiple missions before it was supposed to officially die (including the very first one it popped up in). Not sure if it was living up to its name or hilariously failing to on reflection.