Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i fuckin love the prowler. it is pointy, but not in a bad/trying-too-hard way. it's neither a jet plane in space, nor a pile of spaceship greebles—it is clearly inspired by the lines of a boat, maybe a kayak. they are treated as neither disposable space fight fodder nor as the hero ship type. theyre a fast, maneuverable two-person craft that can shoot things pretty hard, and used only when those are useful traits.

might be the best fighter craft in scifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

The new designs ARE bad and boring, the same visually identical tie fighters as always, the x wings with only very minor engine updates.

The first order aesthetics also are awful, looks like the designing team just decided that "nah, lets not go in a new bold direction, just make ships look samey as before, but with a more bulky and brutalistic aesthetic".

The only new ship that is not boring is the rebel bomber from TLJ, but it was a shame that it was squandered for a minor plot point.

for all of lucas‘s terrible decisions, he knew exactly what he wanted to do aesthetically in each movie, and why. in the classic trilogy, jedi and leia level things are fairy tale middle ages stuff mixed with samurai. it’s mysterious and magical, but also the dark age after the fall of a great republic. it absolutely nails that.

at the same time, armies and spaceships are world wars. consistently. they are mechanized meatgrinder fights where you barely acknowledge the opposing side’s humanity. it's bombastic and fuckin rad, visually

in the prequels, the jedi level stuff is decadent rome. you get a nice swords-&-sandals setpiece in each: ep1 has a ben hur chariot race; ep2 has a gladiatorial arena. ep3 is the fall of the great republic into the empire, and you have the jedi trying to kill the chancellor—it’s the assassination of caesar. it's not always pulled off perfectly, but it’s always at least evident to the audience what lucas is trying to do

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the sequels tho, they dont have any coherent idea of what the historical parallel they might want to evoke. the only thing they try to look like is the original trilogy

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

As an example of Lucas's design decisions, the ELG-3A blaster pistol used on Naboo was turned from a sketch by him into a practical prop the same day. He's one of the most godawful writers of dialogue in film history, but he'll always come up with something unique design-wise. He could have been a great designer behind the scenes if he didn't get into writing and directing.

it's not just design—he can write and direct around strong themes, but his actual nuts and bolts narrative skill is fuckin absent

the prequels are all about liberal institutions that morally compromise themselves into oppressive empire. the trade federation is like the dutch, or portuguese, or british mercantile fleets—that became the backbones of colonial empires. the republic senate is the roman senate—which gave rise to the empire. the clone army are cold war era draftees in our stop-the-commies wars in asia—which were really about the projection and enforcement of american imperial power. and it turns out that no matter how much they appear to be in conflict, they are all working to empower the same imperial evil

the senate protests the creation of the army but allows it and later votes emergency powers to palpatine. the trade federation is working for palps and joins up into the alliance of capital interests that is the confederacy, which are under the command of sidious/palpatine. the army itself is directly answerable to palpatine, as seen by order 66

the entire trilogy has good, strong themes, but they are so poorly assembled into actual movies that it's difficult to see them sometimes

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the prequels also have a lot of really interesting things to say about how evil will exploit or destroy children, or at least how once you start to exploit or hurt children you are on the road to collapse. but lucas can't tell a fuckin story to save his life

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

What's so good about B-wings exactly and also do they actually appear in any of the movies

you gotta say it “bwing” instead of “bee wing” and suddenly it’s great

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Speleothing posted:

They're radiators for dissipating heat. They've always been radiators. The props crew and the concept artists called them radiators. Them being called solar panels is a result of idiots being stupid and other idiots parroting previous idiots.

theyre blinders, in case an officer is inside one on horseback

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

So where are the radiators on all the other starfighters hmm

inside the horses

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

That's a capital ship dummy

truly capital. im proper chuffed by it. here here

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

what letters are yet-unwingéd

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

any other alphabets get their own space ships or other space equipment

are there ge’ez freighters and nagari speeders around

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

according to “wookiepedia”, the d-wing is not a robot!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

so greek letters for shuttles?? and roman letters for fighters .

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

do space trucks go better here alongside the space jets, or in the space war boats thread??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im gonna say: here, because shuttles went here and they already are kinda like trucks

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

star wars, but the war is against ignorance, the supply line logistics involve buying lots of laboratory glassware, and the battlefield is the peer review process

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

when i think “defense system for long-term research vessel”, my mind immediately jumps to “mine-layer”

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

Dow Chemical Kissinger-Class Peacekeeper

Class: Space Disabler

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

anyone ever notice that someone at WEG lazily traced one of these from the other:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

gotta radiate all that heat from rolling around on treads

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

some toy designer at kenner had a proof of concept for a tiny fighter to slam into the front of the millennium falcon

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

upgunned shitpost posted:

can't find a picture of it anywhere,

:thunk:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

El Burbo posted:

between the seismic charges and these lasers, the slave 1 makes some really good sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ME5jhsgmB4

a fine starfight imo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1mErAxKf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXkW-zrnqwM

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

Hello can I post my original starfighters in this thread?

I made them 15 years ago I humbly request you do NOT steal.

those are rad. i always wished i had the patience for model building so that i couldve gotten into kitbashing to make up space nonsense

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

World Devastators were several times larger than Imperial SDs and their whole point was descending to the surface and tearing up a planet that way:

e: this was like 5 or 6 years before the prequels, even, so it's not a new concept and I'm not sure why people were upset at seeing capital ships in atmosphere in R1 and RoS

e2: also re: the Star Destroyers sizes:

(in addition to the Imperial SDs the Empire also had the Victory-class which was essentially just the Imperial but scaled down to the size of the Venators)

world devastators were the best superweapon imo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fun factaroonie: the french gaming mag casus belli had some fun star wars content and one of them was this article featuring dark side poo poo, incl a precursor world devastator as an adventure hook

less versatile than the dark empire things, but that just means it doesnt immediately crash out yr campaign if the players decide they wanna take it over and keep it, instead of blowing it up

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm like 99% sure that art is actually a World Devastator from Dark Empire, though

it's similar to cam kennedys style but he drew the world devastators much blockier than that; even if they were strangely shaped, those shapes were built using straight lines and smooth curves. the sides on that pic look too rough-hewn . maybe its a piece of concept art or a sketch from kennedy, found and repurposed by the rpg mag nerds

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I leafed through my copy of Dark Empire I and he did draw them fat and blocky but also longer and thinner in the middle like that piece of art, plus that force cage thing is from early on in the comic too. Sadly I don't own DE2 or Empire's End to get more views of the Devastators :(

You're probably right though, the images were just done aping his style or they were concepts

he didnt draw empires end. i forget who did, but whoëver it was, couldnt manage his style if they wanted to. i remember the coloring trying to match kennedys work from DE and DE2, and maaaaybe some of the page layout/panel composition?? but i might just be confounding memories of actual dark empire w empires end

not a whole lot of devastators in either. i think they show up briefly in one or the other, tho

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember being with my group of friends one night and we were all trying to do the tie fighter scream out in the parking lot. None of us could do it right because it turns out that's an elephant.

what sorta parking lot

shop, office, etc??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it was designed and built on planet ssileboat, and it was the mark one (MI)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bradley starfighting vehicle

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Naboo starfighter is objectively the best ship in star wars

the prequels had so many great spacecraft. the design work was ace

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aces High posted:

Having not read any of the books when Rogue Squadron first came out, I had no idea what the last mission was all about. We went from being Luke Skywalker to now being Wedge in a new craft and blowing up....world devastators

they devastate 1 or more worlds, op. stop them!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

FACT the next movie or tv show needs a w-wing and, to a lesser extent, a z-wing, to fill alphabetical gaps

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

they can do that after they have a w- and z-wing

also that would be tricky because the current creative heads of star wars seem to think about the setting being aesthetically defined by.......star wars. but Lucas was always aping something older and mashing it into a star war. the personal craft for decent people fighting the good fight—the rebel fighters, the clone trooper gunships—are based on real-world vehicles, mostly from 20th century wars. (luke has his landspeeder tho, which is just a fuckin car that looks space-y). but that only applies to the rank and file—the powerful people in charge of rebellions (which ends up meaning the separatists, too) have big ships that look incomplete or slapped together. even the big blobby ships in rotj look like someone was trying to sculpt a space ship and just ran out of time. exception: trade federation big round ships from ep1

its a p specific aesthetic but it’s also consistent in all six lucas movies.

the empire and other corrupt formal institutions have simple geometric shapes combined, w silhouettes dominated by straight-line edges. the TIE might have a ball right in the middle, but can be rotated to any angle and those gently caress-off big panels on the side giving really straight edges to it. (the v-wing has panels the kinda echo this.) the star destroyer has the big triangle wedge thing going for it, which the jedi triangle fighter has too

again it’s specific but consistent

but lucas didnt stop there and also had the weird rear end ships of the bug people in aotc, the chromed pulp rocket age look of padmé’s ships, the two separate but aesthetically similar sinkhole planet fighters that grievous and the sinkhole people used, etc. the bulbous brown look of trade federation poo poo is great

it's not always GOOD choices (why does the techno union space poo poo look like a dark reflection of naboo’s??) but it at least mixes things up and gives you an immediate visual read on what each piece of space garbage in a big, visually busy space fight is fighting for. there is also a lotta shared design stuff and plain ol whimsy that is shared among various otherwise-unrelated designs but you kinda expect that

BUT

the people working on live-action star wars today seem to just want it to look like the starwars they grew up watching, and fail to add anything new. they just reärrange familiar pieces from the original movies, or make something look like a big space-helicopter because that would be cool. no one wants to plunder anything except the work of george lucas—but his star wars movies were always plundering other poo poo!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it's not just make-work, it's make-war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

plz keep discussion of massive troop loads to fan-fiction and wookieepedia