Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I dig the V-Wing, the only thing wrong with it is that there's no evidence anywhere that those wings open and close like pac-man.

Honorable mention to the tri-fighter, a weird design that doesn't fit in with anything, but is really experimenting with what weird kinda things you can do with a ship that doesn't need a pilot. Tri-lateral symmetry and full of friendos. Never used by trioculus, triclops, or Ree-Yees.

And then we have this little boy that was never meant to be a fighter, but that's what they use it for half the time, and was never meant to fit into that hole that it slots into, but still looks like it belongs. And that's beautiful.

It started out as a Seperatist Sheathipede-class transport shuttle. Sheathipede. Sheathipede

Oh hey, and here's an Umbaran starfigher, from the incredibly unique Umbaran society who had their own very unique technology and holograms and interface, and only showed up in one two-parter of the Clone Wars show. The one with only two VAs because all the clones are Dee Bradley Baker.

Squizzle posted:

the senate protests the creation of the army but allows it and later votes emergency powers to palpatine. the trade federation is working for palps and joins up into the alliance of capital interests that is the confederacy, which are under the command of sidious/palpatine. the army itself is directly answerable to palpatine, as seen by order 66

the entire trilogy has good, strong themes, but they are so poorly assembled into actual movies that it's difficult to see them sometimes

There was an entire subplot to Revenge of the Sith about the group of senators that Padme was with trying to fight the extension of wartime powers and loans that was filmed and then cut and only put out as deleted scenes. It's so frustrating that the heart of everything that's happening in the prequels is some political intrigue that the movies are very embarrassed to show.

Cool action though.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Jedi Starfighter's alright, but it kinda lacks a lot of what I like about Star Wars ships. A lot of other sci-fi worlds like to make their ships as compact little wedges, whereas so many of the Star Wars ships have all these weird bits and pieces that totally contradict what you'd expect with aerodynamics, often with all these little mechanical bits that would make an apple designer cry.

In the context of the rest of Star Wars, the original Jedi Starfighter is distinct by being an exception, but outside of that, it's a little dull. The toy did a neat thing where it make big chunks detachable hiding some secret weaponry.

I'm not sure the toy designers knew that the second jedi starfighter would do a similar thing though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fair Hallion posted:

Can these fighters actually accommodate an astromech droid, they don't look deep enough.
Is it just a built in head?

There was originally a plan for a scene in Attack of the Clones where Obi-Wan's droid to come out of its hole and get attacked by dogs or something, where it would be like a much flatter droid than normal, but that was scrubbed.

I like to think that's still true though.

I kinda like how Anakin's first Jedi Starfighter was ridiculously modded because of course Anakin would want to have a bunch of extra performance beyond the base model and would do a bunch of tinkering.

I don't know if it's a sign of maturity or a sign of just boring design that later he'd just have a Jedi Starfighter like all the others but yellow. It wouldn't even surprise me if the later one wasn't even Anakin's specifically and he just never got the chance to mod it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Is Boba Fett's ship a fighter? It seemed aerobatic and small-ish enough to count.

It's about the size of Han Solo's light freighter, so I think not. It handles like a cow in Rogue Squadron too.

I'm not exactly sure how good the Millennium Falcon actually is at hauling freight either, but I guess it's about the size of a small house with some extensive living quarters, so there's probably room for a lot of boxes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So did they know that they were going to do the whole lasso trick before going in? Because otherwise why would they be flying into battle with dedicated gunners on the rear harpoons?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

This thread learned me there was not only a sequel, but a sequel to the sequel!

Fleabay here I come

There was also a remaster collection in the works that would've had all 3 games along with some new wii minigames that was almost completely finished before it was canned. RIP Factor 5, RIP Lucasarts, a curse upon EA and Disney and that exclusivity contract. Maybe in 3 years after the contract is over somebody will think about digging up that code again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-X8C_8nJQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5YmjpQVy7c

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean if we're gonna bring in atmosphere-bound craft...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm sorry but if a TIE can't fly in atmosphere than how the gently caress would a Lambda shuttle

Honestly I always just assumed that all SW starships are atmo-capable and even capital ships have repulsors strong enough to hover above the ground. My assumption was always the opposite - all starships are atmo-capable, but not all atmospheric vehicles are space-capable (Snowspeeders, for example).

I'd like to think that there's some significant differences between flying in space and flying in atmosphere, and that while most starships can brute-force atmospheric flight, some should be much better at it than others. Presumably the Lambda has some navigational equipment in that big dorsal fin.

Snowspeeders aren't starships, they're just amped-up speeders, working on repulsorlift technology that has some kind of upper limit. Maybe those bigger wings help them add some extra lift as opposed to the landspeeder on Tattooine or the Trade Federation AATs.

There's got to be some upper limit on how big or heavy a vehicle on repulsorlifts can be, if not a point where it's impossible, a point where it's much less efficient.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember being with my group of friends one night and we were all trying to do the tie fighter scream out in the parking lot. None of us could do it right because it turns out that's an elephant.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

3 TIE designs went into mass production, the others are all unique little snowflake special projects that never got picked up.

Also check out this totally-not-a-tie-fighter "clawcraft"

Squizzle posted:

what sorta parking lot

shop, office, etc??

College

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Who What Now posted:

The V-wing was good actually.

No.

Yes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Speaking of TIEs in atmosphere, Rogue One had this thing.

The hellraiser aliens from outside the galaxy were dumb, but I like the Coralskipper.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought Clone Wars did a pretty good job of maintaining creativity with their ships, but then Rebels was a lot more subdued. It had some ridiculous deep pulls and filled out some empty spots in the Imperial navy with a littler Star Destroyer and the Gozanti, but probably the coolest original ship they had was this one. Kinda makes me think of Half Life.

It was weird there were no X-Wings though.

hard counter posted:

could be, i was under the impression that kuat did the isd, rendili stardrives did the original vsd and sienar fleet systems did ties - cygnus spaceworks did shuttles and assault craft, tried to break into the starfighter business with the excellent xg-1 starwing but were politik'd out by sienar

i have no idea how anything works in the new canon

One of the things I really like about random EU lore is that there's little fictional corporate dramas about one production model doing well, one being a flawed gem with a limited run, a couple production models being pieces of poo poo that never worked and everyone hated, and that sort of thing. It's fun to imagine.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 16, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Under Palpatine's administration, unemployment has dropped 6%. Facts don't care about your feelings.

Plz do not correlate that with the stormtrooper fatality rate or the number of mysterious disappearances of people going off the grid to escape Imperial control.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's interesting how the nazis Imperials were so willing to make Star Destroyers overly complicated and expensive while the whole reason they had for the tie fighter was that it was cheap and easy to work with.

I bet the tie defender was a bitch to repair and probably prone to breakdowns on extended missions, and the missile boat probably would've cost a fortune every time it was fielded.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

hard counter posted:

it'd be cool if imperial battleships design came out of lessons from the clone wars that weren't appropriate 20 years later but i think it was just battleships = prestigious officer flagships, starfighters = suicidal chaff conscripted from backwater planets coupled to a high command that fetishized brute strength and thought the extra maintenance was just some junior technician's problem

Technically, the whole base concept of stocking up on massed conventional forces is following a lesson from the clone wars that is no longer relevant. It makes sense for when you're fighting an equal force with defined territory, but it's terrible for cracking down on guerilla warfare and absolutely terrible for responding to hit and run tactics.

There's also the whole deal where any strategists trying to draw lessons from the Clone Wars will see things like the battle of Coruscant where much of the CIS was eliminated in one fell swoop, the top general chased down, and the entire thing collapsing in a disorganized mess afterwards, and probably draw the wrong conclusions without knowing that the whole thing was a trap engineered to mop up most of the CIS at once.

Not to mention the disposability of command staff from the planned destruction of the jedi that probably only works if you had a long-term plan to eliminate the command staff in place and built redundancies that the Empire just didn't have.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of argument you could make against the cloud car, but I think the truly stupidest ship is the one that's not an outline because it's literally just a dumb repaint job.

Stravag posted:

The upsilon wings bother me so much

It really is just "Imperial shuttle wings, but long and fused in the absolute worst position".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The old V-Wing reminds me a lot of Warhammer 40k planes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The STAP's just a standing speeder bike, built for recon over speed. It fits with the battle droid aesthetic and also resembles a real-rear end vehicle.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's almost a cool design. Just remove that stupid nose at the front.

Eh, it kinda looks generic like that. Winged wedges are a dime a dozen.

How 'bout an orb?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Star Wars: Legacy was real dumb. 130 years later and this is the successor to the X-Wing:

Those tails are incredibly unimaginative and not sci-fi looking at all, but come to think of it, most Star Wars ships don't really have much of a tail at all, so that's a big break stylistically.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jedi in the original trilogy were pretty tame, lifting some things, lightning, ghosts, and a little ESP. Lifting the X-Wing was a complex metaphysical challenge that took everything Luke had.

The EU later had Jedi being just being better than everyone at everything, the prequel era led to Jedi just slinging force powers everywhere at a moment's notice, which really peaked with the absurd levels of space magic that the Force: Unleashed games did. When the sequels came round, they kept with the inflated power levels but also forgot about any supposed metaphysical difficulty in using the force.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh yeah, I remember those mini-lego star wars sets, they were amazing.

But you know what? There's in-world ships that are literally bolted-together pieces of garbage, and they're great. The official name for these is "uglies". I really love them because they really reinforce the idea that all these wild and crazy bits of a ship really each serve a purpose on their own.

Hmm, not great. How about the other way?

Seems like the plumbing for the fuel lines on that would be all screwed up.

2 chassis, one cockpit. Must be a pain in the rear end to park.

Just any goddamn thing you got, fighters are supposed to have astromechs, right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stravag posted:

Only if you ignore splinter of the minds eye and like a half dozen other books according to this atleast https://www.orderofbooks.com/characters/star-wars/

There were 7 plus the movie adaptations, but those were pretty contained bits of material compared to the Thrawn trilogy. There's also a pretty stark gap if you look at a chronological list. Last book put out in 83, then the Zahn books start in 91, and then there's a whole snowball effect where there's 6 books coming out in 94 and then there's 21 books in 97.

If you poke around and look at more ancillary material, the old marvel comics, the Droids and Ewoks cartoons, and the TV movies were all done by 86, and 91 was when Dark Horse got the license to publish new comics as well. Even the videogames started to branch out into more original material in the 90s rather than just following the movies like they used to, and there was a weird synthesis between the books, comics, and games all creating their own material and using eachother's material to support themselves, but rarely calling back to the 80s material that wasn't in the movies.

And at least 80% of it all is either terrible or mediocre, but 80% of anything is garbage, that's just the reality of fiction.

Also: Some EU fighters for the new page.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 21, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This design doesn't exactly feel starwarsy to me, but I like it.

That looks like somebody tried to reduce the poly count of one of those Romulan ships.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011