Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is it possible to play (on a modern system) X-Wing and Tie Fighter with just a mouse? I remember blowing out at least one mouse ball back in the day.

I really don't want to use a joystick for it even though I have a crazy setup. I want to be able to play this game on my couch.

My hat is off to you, good goon. My dream is to have a setup like this one day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Is it possible to play (on a modern system) X-Wing and Tie Fighter with just a mouse? I remember blowing out at least one mouse ball back in the day.

I really don't want to use a joystick for it even though I have a crazy setup. I want to be able to play this game on my couch.

As long as you play the DOS versions, sure.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've been playing XWing and TF with an Xbox360 controller and keyboard. It works okay although there's definitely times I wish I had a bigger joystick.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've been playing XWing and TF with an Xbox360 controller and keyboard. It works okay although there's definitely times I wish I had a bigger joystick.

That’s what she said.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

the infrared from the trackir is weird lookin

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bedshaped posted:

the infrared from the trackir is weird lookin

Yeah it's blurry and also it doesn't show up to the eye I think. Just the camera. Or at least nowhere near like that.

I wish I actually used that. I want to play DCS World so bad but it's just so difficult to get into. And once I sort of know what I'm doing then I'm bored because it took a week. Then setting up the HOTAS buttons is a nightmare and can take forever.

I'm lazy. I want stuff to work now.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Eh, I hate controllers. I'm a mouse/keyboard guy.

Charles posted:

As long as you play the DOS versions, sure.

drat. I'll probably get it on Steam.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure which version the Steam one is, as I have the GOG one (plus the CDs!) but the DOS version has the superior music anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charles posted:

I'm not sure which version the Steam one is, as I have the GOG one (plus the CDs!) but the DOS version has the superior music anyway.

There's some weird trade off where one version has better quality music, but the other versions have the dynamic music mixer but worse quality music, and there's no one version that has both.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

There's some weird trade off where one version has better quality music, but the other versions have the dynamic music mixer but worse quality music, and there's no one version that has both.

The DOS version have iMUSE synthesized interactive music. It is MIDI. This IMO is superior.

The Windows version repeats the Star Wars CD audio. No interactivity. Arguably that's better sound quality, but you lose all the cues and unique soundtrack. The graphics are XvT quality though. I think some of the AI's logic is wrong for Xwing too. The UI has new graphics too.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

The DOS version have iMUSE synthesized interactive music. It is MIDI. This IMO is superior.

This is the most correct opinion about this game. This particular earworm has been with me for almost 25 years now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exEfBvAkdzo&t=632s

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Not smoothly. There is an updated DirectDraw that gets installed via i think the graphics effects mod that has in the .ini a mouse override option that will skip the joystick.

You can use a third party mouse to joystick program that.... Sort of works but will try to centre the mouse much like a joystick would if you let go.

Edit : quick update I've managed to get the steam controller to work using a third party app.

However I need to look into it further by using something like joy to keyboard to assign core buttons like fire. Most of the game can be rebound.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 21, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Why would you play this game with a mouse and joystick? That is literally the point of the game: to play a space sim like you are in a cockpit with a joystick. Even if it is the only game you would play, you can get decent joys that have what you need for under $40

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Joysticks used to be expensive when I was a kid and I don't know of many people who had them. I played it with a mouse and keyboard then and I'd like to do it now. The way I use my laptop, it's not practical to use a joystick. Sure I can, and probably will have to, but I don't want to. This isn't some hardcore flight sim. It's an arcade game.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AMNwKjPFI
This player is a mouse player. If you remember this mission, getting every bonus objective on hard is a near impossibility. They are an ace.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

iirc i used to play this with an oldschool gravis gamepad... it wasn't bad, i managed to ace most missions altho there were at least a couple where i got into the mission critical craft under attack, mission critical craft shields down ,mission critical craft hull conditions critical, mission critical craft destroyed, abort mission, mission a failure! rapidfire death-spiral

a mouse is pretty good for lining up precision shots tho, i had to use that before i got a gamepad and later a joystick; the nerdiest set-up i used was a combo involving a keyboard for power management, a joystick for manoeuvring, and a mouse for sniper shots - i used to pretend it was like vader having both a flight control stick and little knobs to tweak his laser cannons for precision shots :cripes:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Squadrons gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGSkCalsisU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's looks pretty cool. And oddly he looks like he's using a mouse. You can see the little reticle he's using. For a modern game I'd probably use a joystick but I'd possibly still use a mouse if I can sit my lazy rear end on my couch and play.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I really like the cockpit layout. Finally, they include a radar screen that makes sense. That was one of the most frustrating parts of starfighter gameplay in the last two Battlefronts.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's looks pretty cool. And oddly he looks like he's using a mouse. You can see the little reticle he's using. For a modern game I'd probably use a joystick but I'd possibly still use a mouse if I can sit my lazy rear end on my couch and play.

I'm really excited to use my joystick again.

Don't take that out of context.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I bought a HOTAS off SA Mart to play TIE Fighter. And Descent. And mostly because COVID has killed any sense of impulse control, but it was a good deal...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That gameplay vid makes me feel real good about my pre-order. That's just what I wanted to hear. Now we just have to hope it does well enough that they keep releasing new content. Six multiplayer maps should hold us for a good while though.

He was definitely using a mouse, he mentioned using the scroll wheel to angle shields forward and aft.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My main worry is that the genre is niche enough that the game doesn't have much of a lasting community, but being a Star Wars game I'm sure it'll get quite a bit of interest.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roth posted:

My main worry is that the genre is niche enough that the game doesn't have much of a lasting community, but being a Star Wars game I'm sure it'll get quite a bit of interest.

The X-Wing Alliance modding community has been going strong for 20 years now, so there's some real die-hards out there. I just hope there's some variety to things, because that gameplay footage looked mildly repetitive after a while. Hope they take some cues from X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter when it comes to mission configurations.

Also give me my TIE Defender, you pricks.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The TIE Defender is now a failed project by Grand Admiral Thrawn learn the loving lore rear end in a top hat

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I require more B-Wings in this game

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

On paper, I think the Squadrons cockpit is only a little smaller than the cockpits in the X/Tie series, and it's even clear why, because that gives more interior for decorations to jangle around and they really manage to give off the effect of the size of your ship outside of the cockpit. But it still feels like such a narrow range of vision to what I want.

I'm still not sure what battlefield niche the troop transport ships are supposed to serve.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Roth posted:

I'm really excited to use my joystick again.

Don't take that out of context.

I'm really excited to use your joystick too.

Take that out of context.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

nine-gear crow posted:

The X-Wing Alliance modding community has been going strong for 20 years now, so there's some real die-hards out there. I just hope there's some variety to things, because that gameplay footage looked mildly repetitive after a while. Hope they take some cues from X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter when it comes to mission configurations.

Also give me my TIE Defender, you pricks.

Yeah it definitely looked repetitive. I could see that getting stale pretty quickly. I hope they add more game modes or something. I'm mostly excited about single player so I hope there is a decent story and a variety of gameplay.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Personally, I'll be happy with it that style of gameplay. I've been playing Battlefront II, and the only mode I really play is Starfighter Assault. Those missions are repetitive, but it's really about the dogfighting. My favorite part about that gameplay trailer was seeing how robust the fighters are. They can take a lot more hits than the ones in Battlefront II.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm really excited to use your joystick too.

Take that out of context.

:eyepop:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm still not sure what battlefield niche the troop transport ships are supposed to serve.

:iiam:

SlothfulCobra posted:

troop transport ships
:ms:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, but what is their purpose in the game where there's no troops being transported?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bogus Adventure posted:

gently caress I didn't know Japan had B-Wings

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, but what is their purpose in the game where there's no troops being transported?

The explanation I've gleaned from the introduction trailers and stuff seems to be that the U-Wing and TIE Reaper (which should have been the TIE Striker, come on guys!)'s interiors are fairly modular and their troop space has been swapped out for tech that can buff or nerf other ships. In the real world, they're there because they want to get the most usage out of the whizbang new ships they made for Rogue One.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

nine-gear crow posted:

TIE Striker, come on guys!

TIE Breaker, surely

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

TIE Reaper (which should have been the TIE Striker, come on guys!)

The Striker's still only a single-person craft - it's basically just a standard TIE that's optimized for atmospheric flight.

Though if there's any expansions or sequels, it would be cool to have the standard TIEs swapped for Strikers in planetside stages.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

It bugs me how so many examples of B-Wings in media (be it games or promo pics, movie stills, etc.) there seems to he a problem with consensus on the wing orientation regarding the cockpit when folded or extended.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Robot Style posted:

The Striker's still only a single-person craft - it's basically just a standard TIE that's optimized for atmospheric flight.

Though if there's any expansions or sequels, it would be cool to have the standard TIEs swapped for Strikers in planetside stages.

That would be a good place to shove in the V-Wing or E-Wing as a suitable Rebel counterpart, yeah.

e: The old V-Wing, I mean, from Rogue Squadron, not the current canon one. That one looks like poo poo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

dialhforhero posted:

It bugs me how so many examples of B-Wings in media (be it games or promo pics, movie stills, etc.) there seems to he a problem with consensus on the wing orientation regarding the cockpit when folded or extended.

Rebels solved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They originally wanted the Falcon's cockpit to do that too, but it never made it into the movie so was re-used for the B-Wing.