Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Nothing new right now. All quiet down here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezis
Oct 9, 2001

I played the game as a kid before I saw any of the movies. When I went to buy it at CompUSA or whatever, I asked if they had "Tee Eye Eee Fighter" and the guy went, "Heh... you mean TIE Fighter?" real smug.

I ended up ruining all the games' stories for myself by using mission editors to look through all the mission details way before getting to them in the game. I don't know why I always compulsively did that, I don't think I ever successfully edited a mission.

But there was a lot of unused scripting and voiceover lines for missions, and some interesting stuff for the Battle of Endor that were never actually triggered in the actual game. It's cool. There were voice lines for the whole part with the A-Wing crashing into the Executor's bridge, but I don't think it could ever actually happen in a mission. At least, I don't recall ever seeing it.

I also remember a subplot in the Prima TIE Fighter guide about the main char's friend eating some trash he finds on the ground and it kills him.

Ezis fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 15, 2020

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Ezis posted:

I ended up ruining all the games' stories for myself by using mission editors to look through all the mission details way before getting to those missions in the game. I don't know why I always compulsively did that, I don't think I ever successfully edited a mission.

I'm pretty sure I had to run cheats to see the later Endor missions. Same with TIE Fighter and X-Wing. At some point they just got ridiculously hard.

Anarcho-Commissar
May 22, 2002

"The means of production being the collective work of humanity, the product should be the collective property of the race. Individual appropriation is neither just nor serviceable. All belongs to all."
- Pyotr Kropotkin

There was a project for a while underway for a TIE Fighter Total Conversion using X-Wing Alliance. I know it had a workable demo, but I don't think all the missions made it in.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I could be the Emperor's stool pigeon all day, every day.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

One other thing about TIE Fighter that's always been fantastic is its musical score. Star Wars games - understandably enough - typically depend largely on the music from the films, but TIE Fighter is just chock-full of completely original pieces that might borrow a few motifs from the source material, but overall sound very distinct while never feeling out of place. And they're extremely well-composed, as high-quality MIDI instruments illustrate:

https://soundcloud.com/laserschwert/sets/tie

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

while we're on the subject of star wars video games are really want this one to be real

https://twitter.com/lucasfilmgames/...5930231808?s=21

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hmm.

https://twitter.com/JustinWasilenko...703196677820420

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Fangames will always suffer from being shut down the moment they generate a critical amount of buzz.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/luca...nreal-engine-4/

Isometric Bacon posted:

I remember always being super surprised at the relatively poor reception of X-Wing alliance at the time.

It's not that surprising when you look at the dates. It basically came in at the point when popular flight sim games were already starting to go into a decline, between just plain genre fade and the growth of brand new genres, and it was a full year after Rogue Squadron had come out with a fully textured environment and higher-res space ships that you don't even need a fully-upgraded computer and a fancy joystick for.

It's a tragedy that the series is dead now, but at the time it was clearly falling behind.

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Who is that?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Creator of End Space, apparently.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

I remember a story about the canonical TIE Fighter pilot being a punk street racer who gets recruited, I can't remember if it was in the TIE Fighter manual or one of the 3rd party guides though

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://soundcloud.com/kusi81/ode-to-tie-x-6-game-tie

The dynamic in-flight music was really good too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sombrerotron posted:

Creator of End Space, apparently.

Oh that looks promising. I'm getting a VR rig in a few months, and that'll be on my short list.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!

Right now Iíd settle for a new Rogue Squadron, hopefully without the rehashes of the movies and weird dumb gimmick sequences.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Does anyone know if any Star Wars game is in the works?

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Probably? But Fallen Order was a big deal I think and came out fairly recently.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Oh yeah that's right. I have to look into that game. I heard absolutely nothing about it until someone, maybe in here, mentioned it. They said it was good.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ju9mKw9Gw

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Does anyone know if any Star Wars game is in the works?

You'd really have to chase down a bunch of rumors to find anything, but the EA Star Wars contract still has 3 years to go, so don't get your hopes high.

Also there's a mostly-finished remaster of the whole Rogue Squadron series that could be ported to a modern system just locked up in a bucket somewhere that will probably never see the light of day. Have fun contemplating that.

http://gametyrant.com/news/factor-5...ased-for-switch

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

SlothfulCobra posted:

You'd really have to chase down a bunch of rumors to find anything, but the EA Star Wars contract still has 3 years to go, so don't get your hopes high.

Also there's a mostly-finished remaster of the whole Rogue Squadron series that could be ported to a modern system just locked up in a bucket somewhere that will probably never see the light of day. Have fun contemplating that.

http://gametyrant.com/news/factor-5...ased-for-switch

I'll bet there's a million stories like this out there. Star Wars seems to be a nightmare property to do anything with, due to the 1600 layers of sign off and bureaucracy around 'the brand'.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Someone mentioned it earlier but STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order is 25% off on Steam. It's $44.99 which is still a bit much for me paying for a game. These days I barely get them over $30, but this one seems to be well received. Eh, might do it might not.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier but STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order is 25% off on Steam. It's $44.99 which is still a bit much for me paying for a game. These days I barely get them over $30, but this one seems to be well received. Eh, might do it might not.

As a professional Star Wars Video Game Liker, who, (with the exception of the two recent Battlefronts), hasn't liked a Star Wars game since probably... Republic Commando? I can thoroughly recommend Fallen Order. It has a interesting story with great acting, is challenging in a good way, has fun lightsaber mechanics and allows you to push Stormtroopers off ledges using the force.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Isometric Bacon posted:

I'll bet there's a million stories like this out there. Star Wars seems to be a nightmare property to do anything with, due to the 1600 layers of sign off and bureaucracy around 'the brand'.

Well that was timely.

https://kotaku.com/sources-ea-cance...ff-l-1841840704

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It was a good game, but I think the best SW game was Star Wars Rebellion which is available on GoG and runs terribly on anything that isn't Windows 98.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

It was a good game, but I think the best SW game was Star Wars Rebellion which is available on GoG and runs terribly on anything that isn't Windows 98.
You (probably?) joke, but Rebellion did have some great mechanics that I'd love to see repeated (with better balancing and especially better AI), to wit:

- hyperspace travel that can take very long and is (ordinarily) invisible to the enemy
- planets' allegiance being determined by popular support, which could be strongly affected by events elsewhere
- field agents turning traitor and sabotaging missions if the war goes badly
- a perpetual information fog of war where you're almost always working with outdated intelligence

Rebellion was wonderfully strategic and really felt like playing galactic chess when you were up against a human opponent who did not behave as predictably as the computer.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I enjoyed Rebel Assault 1 & 2 and Ru Murleen was strangely hot to young me.

I remember playing the T-16 training mission on a janky rear end joystick on a CompUSA demo. Good times man

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP!
BIIITCH!

George H.W. stinkyhole posted:

I enjoyed Rebel Assault 1 & 2 and Ru Murleen was strangely hot to young me.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

Sombrerotron posted:

You (probably?) joke, but Rebellion did have some great mechanics that I'd love to see repeated (with better balancing and especially better AI), to wit:

- hyperspace travel that can take very long and is (ordinarily) invisible to the enemy
- planets' allegiance being determined by popular support, which could be strongly affected by events elsewhere
- a perpetual information fog of war where you're almost always working with outdated intelligence

Rebellion was wonderfully strategic and really felt like playing galactic chess when you were up against a human opponent who did not behave as predictably as the computer.

I'd love if they did a re-release of rebellion with bloody hotkeys

Playing rebellion now always causes my goddamn hand to cramp with the sheer volume of menus you have to click through

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.

Are there any sites that do deep dives into the game? I remember farting around in the mission in the seventh battle where you find out Zaarin when he attacks you as you mop up Haarkovís fleet. After a while, the other Imperial forces turn on you, and thereís even some scripted lines of Darth Vader asking if youíre a traitor. Iíd like to find out more about stuff like that.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

The early mission where you had to carry a container that could die to splash damage from a concussion mission while fighting off TIEs was kind of bullshit.

I always hated the mission where you had to protect your sister while she hacked some satellites.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I just want a mod where you play through the X-wing novels. Not the bad ones, but the good ones with Wraith Squadron and the horse and Ewok pilots.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

I was being extremely honest, I absolutely loved Rebellion when I was younger. I never played against another human though so my experience was mainly getting into a position where I could cheese the AI and then cheesing the AI. But I agree, despite the main UI being a big window on the galaxy I felt that fog of war was a major player in the game. Unless you got lucky with espionage (or had dozens of espionage agents hanging out in orbit over an enemy planet) you rarely knew where the enemy's characters or fleets were.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I just want a mod where you play through the X-wing novels. Not the bad ones, but the good ones with Wraith Squadron and the horse and Ewok pilots.

yub yub, Commander

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

yub yub, Commander

This has inspired me to replay TIE Fighter. Maybe I'll pick up a flight stick for it sometime.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eminent Domain posted:

This has inspired me to replay TIE Fighter. Maybe I'll pick up a flight stick for it sometime.

Best part is that the wraiths went undercover pirate and stole some TIEs so you could even just do it in those.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.

Muppetjedi posted:

I always hated the mission where you had to protect your sister while she hacked some satellites.

That one did suck. There werenít a lot of enemies once your sister left your ship, but made more frustrating because it felt like I should be doing better at killing, IIRC, an assault transport and a smattering of Zero-G Stormtroopers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

The mission where you parked on a ship for a while and just went to town with the turrets was kinda neat. The mission where you have to save your sister was kinda lame because even though it looks neat, the game really just wants you to go in a straight line for like 3 miles, dock, and then go straight out.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Dr Christmas posted:

Zero-G Stormtroopers.

God those bastards were hard to hit. My preferred tactic was to just ram them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackshreds
Feb 7, 2004

Take my hand and just, follow me...

Iím guessing it would not be advisable to try to play this with an Xbox controller?