Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I played through the entirety of TIE Fighter before I had ever even seen a Star Wars movie. I came out of it firmly indoctrinated into the Empire and honestly, I still can't really shake it. My friend and I played through TIE Fighter at a pretty young age and it required both of us flying the same ship to make it through. One of us held the joystick and handled the piloting and gunning, while the other was "R-2" who managed the power-shifting, target selection, weapon switching, radio commands, etc.

I have since seen every Star Wars movie but I totally root for the Empire all the time (I love Chewie + droids though and would prefer they just not get hurt). It makes me sad to see stormtroopers always miss.

I was actually really excited to see The Force Awakens when I heard that one of the main characters was a stormtrooper. I thought it'd be so interesting to see what it was like from their perspective, even if it was some hellish nightmare. It was a drat shame that it was all over a few minutes into the movie. They then go through two sequels where they barely bring it up, except when he needs to pull some information out of nowhere ("I was a Janitor on Death Star III !"). I thought they would go somewhere dark or thought provoking with it, where somehow Finn might feel shame or guilt for just happily blowing up people that he apparently grew up alongside and shared burdens with, who are revealed to be child-soldiers. Nah, he whoops and hollers and has the time of his life while shooting up the hangar bay presumably full of his friends and loved ones and never brings up the idea of even trying to 'liberate' other members of his cadre that might have felt similarly disillusioned with the Empire or whatever. The most compelling villain of the entire sequel trilogy is the guy who yells "TRAITOR!" at Finn and tries to kick his rear end with a lightsaber baton thing.

Same thing in Solo - the part I was most looking forward to was him actually being a TIE fighter pilot or something (I have never read a book, so I am only vaguely aware of his backstory). Instead we get the Somme in Space which was to me at least the most interesting part of the movie but it is over so quickly and back to the usual nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Otherwise, I might encourage you to not root for the villains, but you do you I guess. There's a lot more stuff that displays the clone troopers' heroism; the only protagonist stormtrooper story I know is Tag and Bink. I do remember reading some comic once that had some imperial officers having their equivalent of the Zulu Wars.

I consider just about everybody in Star Wars to be pretty villainous and the war isn't 'realistic' enough for me to actually give a poo poo about the nonexistent politics they are supposedly fighting over. It's not like I'm rooting for Nazis - the Empire is just a collection of cartoonish scenery chewing cranks with lots of cool toys. Most of the terrible things they do are done by the good guys as well. On a surface level everything is PEW PEW WHOOSH WHOA (so who cares?) and if you go deeper analysis then the good guys are pretty awful too (so also doesn't matter). I admit I also root for the orcs in Lord of the Rings. Maybe I just like their design and vibe? Maybe I'm more fascinated by the narrative of someone forced into a lovely situation with the chaos of combat in front of them and a cruel uncaring command structure above them and no possible happy end in sight than the Rah Rah Morally Righteous Stuff?

But yeah, I completely agree with your other thoughts. I do not need yet another videogame or movie about yet another hot-shot X-wing pilot or Dashing Rogue With A Heart Of Gold. A side-movie from the actual perspective of an Imperial that doesn't end in the utterly predictable Rebel-Turn would be tantalizing.

The most shocking thing about TIE Fighter was that you actually remain a loyal Imperial pilot for the entirety of the game.