Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV0VNDbqILY

The Rebel Galaxy devs pitched a modern Star Wars flight sim to EA in 2016 and were turned down. :(

Huh, this looks like the same engine as Star Trek Legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I still prefer the older version that someone added music from KOTOR to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah Homeworld and its sequels are pretty much where it's at for full 3D fleet actions. Gearbox did a Homeworld Remastered re-release a while back that makes Homeworld 2 more compatible with modern versions of Windows, and also ports in the Homeworld 1 content into the HW2/remastered engine.

I think there's a Star Wars mod for it... also a Lego space mod for it, I think called Brickspace lol.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

blackshreds posted:

I’m guessing it would not be advisable to try to play this with an Xbox controller?

I've been playing X-Wing with an Xbox360 controller, sometimes the lack of fine control can be a bother but after you get used to it, it works well enough.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Started playing TIE-Fighter recently and holy poo poo what diabolical rear end in a top hat came up with mines that instantly loose a missile when you destroy them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Charles posted:

Oh I love X-Wing Alliance, I've replayed it as much as TIE Fighter.

As for why TIE Fighter is better than X-Wing:
X-wing was a great start, but it was really hard. TIE Fighter was mostly more balanced and had an adjustable difficulty level.
TF also added:
  • in mission voice messages, so you get updates on what's going on
  • Messages appear in real-time, instead of repeating old ones over and over again, which was very confusing, and you have a message log
  • Way better targeting controls & information (e.g. Z-key, 3d display) so you can tell which flight group is attacking the craft you are supposed to protect, etc
  • Mission goals hotkey, which helps you keep track of the mission. Also, secondary objectives so you can feel like a badass, and hidden bonus objectives
  • Reversing the Rebel's theme to a minor key and making it sound evil when their ships show up was just so cool, making the Imperial theme heroic too
  • More interactive briefing officers with side plots
Overall it just polished the X-Wing formula to make it appealing to the masses.

XvT didn't have any campaign mode when it launched which disappointed people who loved TF's story. edit: Also XvT wouldn't launch without a joystick which made some people angry.

TIE Fighter also has a hell of a lot more variation in spacecraft and space stations. For example, in X-Wing there are several missions where they say something like "you need to protect this manufacturing facility, which is made out of converted cargo containers" because that's the only large stationary space structure in the game. Also there are only four warships in the whole game: the Imperial Star Destroyer, the Calamari Cruiser, the Nebulon-B Frigate, and the Corellian Corvette (the latter two doing double-duty as both Imperial and Rebel warships). TIE Fighter adds a lot more variation all around.

That said, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking X-Wing at all - it came out on floppy disk in 1993 and, if I remember right, was supposed to be able to run on a 286. There are obviously significant technical limitations in play there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've said this before but I still think that Star Wars: Top Gun, In Space is a loving no-brainer movie.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've been playing XWing and TF with an Xbox360 controller and keyboard. It works okay although there's definitely times I wish I had a bigger joystick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

That would be a good place to shove in the V-Wing or E-Wing as a suitable Rebel counterpart, yeah.

e: The old V-Wing, I mean, from Rogue Squadron, not the current canon one. That one looks like poo poo.

this looks like a ripoff of the Cylon raider from 1978 Battlestar Galactica