Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I can't find it now but I remember as a kid finding some comment in the game files for the original XvT that was like "tie defender is too op eat poo poo fan boys"

I think i'm going to try and find it because its probably hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Yep I found it, this is from the original unpatched version of XvT

code:
*TIE Defender (T/D)
Sienar Fleet Systems
Empire
Advanced space superiority fighter. This craft is too powerful to be put in this simulation. Dream on, fanboy!
Then they just added it in BoP :wtc:

Other gems:
code:
*Missile Boat (MIS)
Cygnus Spaceworks
Empire
Advanced space superiority fighter. This is the King Hell God Emperor Starfighter of Death and you can't fly it yet!
*Sat3
Mesens Corp.
Various
Blah, blah psuedo-techno jargon BS for fanboys with no life.
*Sat4
Mesens Corp.
Various
More blah, blah psuedo-techno jargon BS for fanboys with no life.
*Sat5
Mesens Corp.
Various
Still more blah, blah psuedo-techno jargon BS for fanboys with no life.
*Mine4
Arakyd Industries
Various
Even more blah, blah psuedo-techno jargon BS for fanboys with no life.
*Mine5
Arakyd Industries
Various
You can't believe there's any more blah, blah psuedo-techno jargon BS for fanboys with no life.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 5, 2020

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

dialhforhero posted:

I have a Thurstmaster T16000m with pedals and HOTAS. Do you guys know how I can implement throttle control and rudder into the game? I saw something about using TARGET software but don’t know if it works. I would love to get back into these games if I can just use multiple controllers.

Only xwing alliance has actual throttle + rudder support, xwing vs tie has only throttle support.

You can do janky rebinds and mappings to have the joystick emulate keypresses if you're dedicated.

I kinda hope someone else pops in here and reveals some super awesome community patch that fixes all this though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Charles posted:

I think XvT only does 0, 33, 66, and 100% throttle too? Or maybe that's the Windows 95 versions of the older games, I don't remember exactly.

You'd have to keymap the axises and I don't recall if there's a dedicated key on the keyboard for roll? It was usually a toggle with Button 2. Maybe the keypad?

Just have to hope that XWVM comes out some day soon.

XvT has true axis mapping for a throttle axis, but not for a rudder axis. rudder is x-axis unless you hold the target acquire button which changes x-axis to roll, yes. XWA added a proper axis mapping for roll + rudder but it defaults to XvT style so you have your left/right stick as rudder and your rudder controls roll, and even if you switch those holding target acquire button flips them

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It wouldn't take much effort to make a VR XWA clone then you could port in whatever game's missions you wanted, like Tie fighter

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

7/10 A-Wing guns still cant traverse up/down, would be perfect to use with the head tracking

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I can't tell if the fleet battle mode is mechanically enforced tug of war or if its freeform and you can just zero straight in on the enemy flagship from the start

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

SlothfulCobra posted:

If there are bombers, there needs to be some kind of mission or mechanic where they attack capital ships, otherwise they're just kinda suboptimal heavy fighters. I assume fleet battling will involve something like that.

Considering how they decided to stick ships that were supposed to be troop carriers into the game, it feels like that implies boarding might be in there at some point.

I feel like their cockpit views kinda cut off the view to the sides too much, but then I may still be a little grumpy that it's a first person view and I prefer third person. I guess this is the final revenge of X-Wing Alliance on Rogue Squadron. The extra spacial awareness you get from third person isn't really as necessary when you're flying outside of atmosphere with less obstacles, but there were some clips of flying through space debris too. I wonder if they're going to depict the Rebel targeting computer goggle either.

isn't it vr?

Roth posted:

They refer to the fleet battles as multi staged with you advancing or falling back depending on the outcome of each stage.

It kinda sounded like the falling back or not was player chosen but I think you're right and its like a tug of war mechanic.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Fans will mod in stuff 3 seconds after release, nothing can stop star wars modders

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

nine-gear crow posted:

Well I was going to recommend checking out the work that's still to this day being done by the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project... but apparently one of its lead project members had an epic loving meltdown recently about weird modder and Star Wars minutia that he went and edited the XWAUP main installer file so that it would actually wipe your X-Wing: Alliance install directory purely out of spite. This guy is a 54 year old, for the record, and has been a part of the XWA modding scene since the game was first released.

God, when Star Wars fans lose their poo poo, they go hard :stare:

it's still a good loving mod tho

that'd wipe your pilot file too so thats really loving lovely. ianal but thats possibly a federal crime

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Eminent Domain posted:

Pretty sure I'm gonna shell out for VR and a proper hotas for this game and never look back.

Uh do you mean VR + knuckle controllers?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
starfighters of adamur is the best x-wing novel fight me

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this looks like a ripoff of the Cylon raider from 1978 Battlestar Galactica

the V wing was the predecessor to the tie-fighter, it had no hyperdrive, although the shape definitely seems like it inspired the a-wing. (apparently they are of contemporary design though)

sadly e-wing is now solidly in legends canon. (and probably too OP)

I'm sure modders will go nuts and add literally every single starfighter nanoseconds after the game releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bogus Adventure posted:

Personally, I like the Clone Wars-era V-Wing.

It looks slick and serves as the predecessor for the A-Wing. Also, it gives the R2 unit some armor to keep it from getting domed in a dogfight.

as above, the a-wing and v-wing are contemporary, both were first used at the end of the clone wars. v-wing is actually predecessor to the tie fighter.