Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So this and the armada threat have me wondering, are there any games where you're directing fleet-scale battles in 3d space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Empire at War came out in 2006 but it's undergone a minor modding renaissance lately -- check out the Empire at War Remake and the Thrawn's Revenge/Fall of the Republic mods on the Steam Workshop. The ground battles are garbage though, just spam AT-ATs and autoresolve

That does look pretty cool, but it looks like it's all on a flat plane. I'm hankering for something in full 3d space, where you / the enemy can attack from any directions, hide behind objects, etc. Full on enders game directions are arbitrary kinda deal.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I need to get back into HotDS, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'll have to check out homeworld. Thanks y'all.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Probably? But Fallen Order was a big deal I think and came out fairly recently.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

blackshreds posted:

I’m guessing it would not be advisable to try to play this with an Xbox controller?

It's not pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I bought a HOTAS off SA Mart to play TIE Fighter. And Descent. And mostly because COVID has killed any sense of impulse control, but it was a good deal...