Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«28 »
PeterWeller
Apr 20, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Aka by the end of act one, heís completely finished his character arc for the entire trilogy.

That's not even a character arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CelticPredator posted:

Well I guess since Iíve seen ROS I disagree.

Every subversive thing he did made it better because it took the lamest parts of TFA and gave them a chance to become interesting. I hated the parents thing and I hated snoke. And luke being jaded was something I was kind of hoping for when the first rumors of TFA started leaking.

I haven't seen ROS but I've heard a plot summary/know that "Somehow, Palpatine has returned" and I agree.

Kylo kills Snoke and sets himself up as the real villain. Fun!
Rey's history being resolved as "Your parents were no one, and so are you." Interesting!
Luke formed a New Jedi Order; he made a terrible, instinctual choice when he saw immense Dark Side potential in one of his pupils - one who shares his bloodline - knowing the chaos that could stem from that. Tragic, but also, consistent with what we've seen in the "Skywalker Saga" (as Disney is so eager to brand it) to this point!

I don't think TLJ was a perfect film by any means - I've got a few issues with it - but I enjoyed watching it and remember leaving the theater a hell of a lot more excited than I was after TFA. "Wow, they didn't just do a copy/replace on Empire! The sequel trilogy might actually go somewhere new in the third act!"

Also, this poo poo ruled. I know the timelines are all over the place and it takes some plot contrivances to make it work, but having every major arc to come to a head at once and get punctuated like this was a lot of fun.

Rian Johnson deserves to make at least one Star Wars movie where he's not beholden to somebody else's half-assed plot setup.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

If you liked TLJ but didn't like TRoS then I'm sorry the film didn't live up to your theory-crafted Youtube videos, you basement-dwelling manchildren. Star Wars isn't about you. Have you considered you are a toxic fan?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

If you liked TLJ but didn't like TRoS then I'm sorry the film didn't live up to your theory-crafted Youtube videos, you basement-dwelling manchildren. Star Wars isn't about you. Have you considered you are a toxic fan?

Checking to see if you're a Gnarlacious Bro alt rn

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89

Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

I never watched this show, but I'm curious to find out if they saved the cheerleader

Pro tip: Do not read up on Hayden Panitierre's actual life for the past decade

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

oscar winning cinema enthusiast

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Luke shoulda been even more like Space Zizek.

Snotty, picking at his shirt, endlessly referencing un-PC jokes about how Alderman should have fought back.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

That's not even a character arc.

Itís the closest thing he gets to one.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Also, this poo poo ruled. I know the timelines are all over the place and it takes some plot contrivances to make it work, but having every major arc to come to a head at once and get punctuated like this was a lot of fun.

It absolutely did and I still laugh whenever I see someone post some unreadable wall of text about how it ruins the lore or whatever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
how about we just not have the toilet cthulhu

TLJ tries to get away with the Rogue One thing where an action packed finale makes up for the rest of the movie being a disjointed mess, but it really doesn't manage.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

As soon as Carrie Fisher died they should have re-shot or re-edited TLJ to have Leia die instead of Luke.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!

Oven Wrangler

The Luke parts of TLJ are the best things to come out of the sequel movies.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Last Jedi and Ghostbusters 2016 forced me to reevaluate my maxim that any movie chuds hate will automatically be good.

PeterWeller
Apr 20, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Itís the closest thing he gets to one.

I'd argue that "I wanna run away" -> "I wanna run away with this girl I met" -> "I wanna join the cause" is more of an arc. But I wouldn't argue that it's an interesting or well developed one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

OctoberCountry posted:

It absolutely did and I still laugh whenever I see someone post some unreadable wall of text about how it ruins the lore or whatever

Being genuinely shocking and a great visual isn't in contradiction with breaking the setting.

It's pretty much exactly the same thing as what JJ does with abusing the plot and setting to make a cool scene work, just better executed and without being repeated a bunch of times in a row like in ROS.

«28 »