Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

I honestly took that whole speech as a way of demonstrating that Smoke has been feeding Kylo a huge line of bull about Darth Vader and the Sith actually being the good guys like the way a lot of alt right figures like to paint Confederate generals as means of propaganda.

This would be fine if not for the entire rest of the sequel trilogy getting in the way. TFA was very much a blank slate in that sense and it wonderfully disguised the weaknesses of the film right until it was the day of the "final exam" and JJ had to reveal he had procrastinated the entire time he was supposed to be working on his fantastic finale and that he had no cohesive picture of where he had began or where he was actually going.

Edit- And yes I remember that he is evil now because Luke decided to murder him or whatever but it's a big leap from 'someone tried to kill me' to 'we, the group that just blew up five planets, are the good guys because someone tried to kill me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Once you convert to the dark side bad things become good and vise-versa. See: killing younglings.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ItBreathes posted:

See: killing younglings.

They paid a high price for making a "yo momma" joke to the wrong Jedi Master.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

:actually: he wasn't a master.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ItBreathes posted:

wow epic ownage

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
paalpatine

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ItBreathes posted:

They denied Anakin the rank at first, but he was definitely able to persuade Mace Windu to give him a hand getting there in the end.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

:science: but like, from fingers

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

palpatini, easy on the tini

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
Palpa-two-ne

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is your daddy named sheev, cause I wanna palpate those curves

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rey being dumped on Jakku also seems thematically fitting given the planet's whole thing is being almost featureless but for the relics of the last big war that people scavenge for scraps.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rey being dumped on Jakku also seems thematically fitting given the planet's whole thing is being almost featureless but for the relics of the last big war that people scavenge for scraps.

yeah, it's one of the cleverest images in TFA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly, I think this trilogy would have been massively better received if they'd had the same director for all three movies. They leaned WAY too hard on TLJ being 'the The Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy', to the point where it became absurd.

Actually, probably a theme is trying to ape the original trilogy and massively overdoing it in each case.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, I think this trilogy would have been massively better received if they'd had the same director for all three movies. They leaned WAY too hard on TLJ being 'the The Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy', to the point where it became absurd.

Actually, probably a theme is trying to ape the original trilogy and massively overdoing it in each case.

The Force Awakens was too much A New Hope. The Last Jedi was too much The Empire Strikes Back. And The Rise of Skywalker was just too much.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You would have had to have had Bob Iger behind the camera himself, because I don't think anyone else would have agreed to do it.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
9 whole movies, multiple animated series, and C-3P0 never gets to gently caress. Worst franchise ever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

The Force Awakens was too much A New Hope. The Last Jedi was too much The Empire Strikes Back. And The Rise of Skywalker was just too much.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cage Kicker posted:

9 whole movies, multiple animated series, and C-3P0 never gets to gently caress. Worst franchise ever.

I have no dick but I must gently caress

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

indigi posted:

I have no dick but I must gently caress

So certain, are you?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Someone was absolutely right when they said the sequels are like once telling someone you like blueberry pie, and then waking up tied to a chair and they force-feed you blueberry pie until you vomit.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Someone was absolutely right when they said the sequels are like once telling someone you like blueberry pie, and then waking up tied to a chair and they force-feed you blueberry pie until you vomit.

This post, but spoken by Matthew McConaughey

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember how they brought back Sheev "Sheevers" Palpataine in the R of S and had him copy his signature line "I'm unnatural" for no reason but then later they have him saying something lame and bad like "I'm the sith" instead the much cooler "I am the Senate".

Yeah it doesn't make sense for him to say that there but nothing else in the movie makes sense anyway and I bet a good portion of the viewers would have cheered if he had said that and started owning people.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-has-released-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-on-1842334233

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Disney Star Wars movies are easily the worst blockbusters of the 2010s - somehow even toppling Marvel.

It’s still bewildering how they managed to gently caress up an IP like Star Wars on the big screen five times. Historic incompetence and arrogance never seen before in Hollywood.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The Divergent movies are another funny example of greed and incompetence. Basically they were riding the wave of Young Adult fiction adaptations and were filming this book series called "Divergent" which are about some stupid bullshit or something I dunno. Anyway each new movie was worse than the one before. They decided to, just like the Hunger Games, split the last one into two, but after "part three part one" everyone was so sick of the franchise, and the cast hated it, and it wasn't making much money, so they just didn't make the final entry. The whole series just petered out. No conclusion.

And I think it would have bee extremely funny if they had done the same with Star Wars.

Like everyone just fucks off and episode IX never gets made.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation

Mooey Cow posted:

The Divergent movies are another funny example of greed and incompetence. Basically they were riding the wave of Young Adult fiction adaptations and were filming this book series called "Divergent" which are about some stupid bullshit or something I dunno. Anyway each new movie was worse than the one before. They decided to, just like the Hunger Games, split the last one into two, but after "part three part one" everyone was so sick of the franchise, and the cast hated it, and it wasn't making much money, so they just didn't make the final entry. The whole series just petered out. No conclusion.

And I think it would have bee extremely funny if they had done the same with Star Wars.

It's even better/worse than that. They tried to make Part Three Part Two as a TV movie instead, and the cast say gently caress off, we're not working for scale. So they considered recasting all the roles with TV actors, and then spiked the project completely.

Hell, all of those YA distopia novel wave movie seemed like it was an exercise in diminishing returns. Even the Hunger Games. Aside from Catching Fire, each movie seemed somehow smaller than the one that preceded it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Divergent bangs, it's all about kids getting sold a society which lets you express yourself so long as it serves fascism.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

Divergent bangs, it's all about kids getting sold a society which lets you express yourself so long as it serves fascism.

isn't this the prequels

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cease to Hope posted:

isn't this the prequels

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mooey Cow posted:

it's truly remarkable that The Hunger Games was the high point of the YA adaptation genre of the 21st century

it's like someone set a limbo pole at 18" and somehow every franchise squeaks under that in a gravity-defying display of suck

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I recently started listening to Never Tell Me The Pods, a Star Wars podcast by the people at One Shot Network. It's first episode is just after TFA came out. I curious how their opinion evolves, but based on the summary of their latest episode I have a feeling that it's not in a positive direction.

EDIT: Just listening to the first few episodes, there are so many expectations for TLJ that won't be met.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 17, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

It's even better/worse than that. They tried to make Part Three Part Two as a TV movie instead, and the cast say gently caress off, we're not working for scale. So they considered recasting all the roles with TV actors, and then spiked the project completely.

Hell, all of those YA distopia novel wave movie seemed like it was an exercise in diminishing returns. Even the Hunger Games. Aside from Catching Fire, each movie seemed somehow smaller than the one that preceded it.

The best part of the TV show plan was that they actually announced it without checking with the stars first so Shailene Woodley (the star of the series) first heard about it in an interview.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is there a lot of the Wizard of Oz in these new movies?

Rey starts on a sepia depression world with a little dog, for example, meets three male comedians who take her to see the Wizard of Maz,

Who lives in a castle on an emerald planet and gives everyone a useless trinket to give them confidence (Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber)

Rey is then captured by the Wicked Witch of the West and taken to a castle planet where three goofballs and one in a fursuit have to go save her.

There's also like specific imagery with Snoke, from his throne room to his whole deal being a big holographic head. There may not be much to this but it feels like theres a little.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

poo poo, didn't think about it before but that works.

Mind you, could just be the sequels are a dearth of originality and all those are pretty basic wish fulfilment/hero's quest tropes. Not helping that the Wizard of Oz is so influential.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
tfa has this very odd joan of arc / excalibur vibe with how much emphasis it puts on some dipshit's lightsaber and rey's connection to it

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
She's the youngling who lived :thunk:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

People talk about "Bigger Luke" a lot but Star Trek really does have a larger version of Spock, Spock Two

Man, that'd really change the plot, given the little tidbit on that wiki page.

Come to think of it, it'd REALLY shake things up without a tidy ending for it, but..what? How could they? What could they come up with??

Hell you'd need a damned

Two Spock Shaker, Wrap Artist for something like that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i cant believe stavros halkias did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1239537060614111232