Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmegin posted:

He has a habit of making poo poo up after the fact though.

What does it matter when it's kinda obvious from just watching the movie? Tolkien said LotR wasn't influenced by his experiences in WWI when uh, it's pretty clear where he got, as an example, his disdain for Saruman's tinkering with technology to drive his war on Rohan. Authors might be full of poo poo, authors might be honest, but they all have one thing in common: They dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Starkiller base is a deeply unoriginal threat, but, the light of the sun being snuffed out leading to the darkness going over Kylo's face just before he kills Han is a legitimately great moment.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Karloff posted:

Starkiller base is a deeply unoriginal threat, but, the light of the sun being snuffed out leading to the darkness going over Kylo's face just before he kills Han is a legitimately great moment.

Agreed, too bad it wasn't followed by a wave of cold as if it were the Day After Tomorrow.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Authors might be full of poo poo, authors might be honest, but they all have one thing in common: They dead.

Lucas may make up and add extra poo poo to his stories sometimes, but when he does, it's a fully produced piece of media instead of just tweeting that nobody poops.

I'd also say that death of the author is sometimes overrated as a literary theory.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd also say that death of the author is sometimes overrated as a literary theory.

Definitely agreed. I do think it is helpful to turn to the director or script or whatever for pointers in analysis, but when when the public consciousness has Lucas in mind as the silly dweeb from the RLM-review who would mispronounce Gungas and couldn't direct actors out of a wet paper bag, it kinda becomes important to point out that you can look at movies without having the director's intentions looming over how you understand things.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Karloff posted:

JJ has a legitimate talent for seizing on or creating visually intriguing scenes. Unfortunately he has no idea how to make those scenes happen organically or how to construct the film so the scenes make sense or have emotional heft or anything. S'why Mystery Boxes have worked so well for him, the promise that there's some explanation for all the questions he raises helps keep audiences engaged while he works his magics. Until the sequel or next season inevitably disappoints for its inability to resolve those questions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally watched Rise of Palpatine

What the hell

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell

It is a movie that exists that has been titled a Star Wars, yes.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell

Ian McDiarmid was the only watchable part.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
As he is in every Star Wars movie.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9DvIs97G0

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To this day, I still can't believe that the Sequel "Trilogy" only had two parts to it. I hope they get around to making an Episode IX eventually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nothing had anything to do with anything or made sense lmao

e: Lol at the second star destroyer crashing on Jakku too - business gonna be booming for ol Unkar!!!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 18, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish they kept the deleted scene of him getting his arms ripped off by Chewie but that scene never really made sense because why is Rey so special to go after lmao.

But yeah. Rise of Skywalker is hilarious

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With the scene with the digitally de-aged or whatever Hamil and Fisher I thought, literally, "oh hey Luke looks pretty good this has really advanced since rogue oh my god what's wrong with leia's face"

Please stop doing that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

With the scene with the digitally de-aged or whatever Hamil and Fisher I thought, literally, "oh hey Luke looks pretty good this has really advanced since rogue oh my god what's wrong with leia's face"

Please stop doing that

You will love our horrifying uncanny valley plastic CGI action figure recreations of the Original Trilogy cast and that's final.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Nothing had anything to do with anything or made sense lmao

e: Lol at the second star destroyer crashing on Jakku too - business gonna be booming for ol Unkar!!!

I dunno, I think the best part of the ending was yet another star destroyer taken out by a suicide lightspeed dash.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

You will love our horrifying uncanny valley plastic CGI action figure recreations of the Original Trilogy cast and that's final.

In this case, they're not CG in the same way that the Rogue One ghouls were. They just copy/pasted the characters' faces in from similarly-angled shots in the OT, the same way they did with Leia in the rest of the movie.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Whod'a guessed that the "M" they were talking about was necromancy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
turning the creepy uncanny valley CG dial and constantly looking back at the audience for approval is a star wars tradition going back to jar-jar binks

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I still circle back to what an incredibly stupid line 'We don't win by fighting what we hate, we win by saving what we love' line is. Did Rose think Finn just really hated that particular death star laser? Or was he doing it to try to protect the last of the Resistance, when that laser punching through the door would result in the complete slaughter of every last one of them?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Movie needed to pick a lane on suicide ramming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Rey Skywalker ending has powerful first draft energy for how incredibly awkwardly written it is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Movie needed to pick a lane on suicide ramming.

Why couldn't the other ships that she left to die horribly suicide ram if that was an option on the table. I'm sure those captains she sacrificed would've liked to have the option of either using the last of their lives to attack the empire or evacuating.

Come to think of it, the movie's pretty split on the idea of running away as well, considering how at the start of the movie they're ready to shoot potential deserters like the rebels are some kind of army of conscripts, and yet Poe's supposed to be the stupid one later for wanting to not toss away the flagship while Holdo's planning to flee, and the final running away after an army of hundreds in warships has been reduced to like 30 people in a winnebago is supposed to be some kind of triumphant moment.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why couldn't the other ships that she left to die horribly suicide ram if that was an option on the table. I'm sure those captains she sacrificed would've liked to have the option of either using the last of their lives to attack the empire or evacuating.

Come to think of it, the movie's pretty split on the idea of running away as well, considering how at the start of the movie they're ready to shoot potential deserters like the rebels are some kind of army of conscripts, and yet Poe's supposed to be the stupid one later for wanting to not toss away the flagship while Holdo's planning to flee, and the final running away after an army of hundreds in warships has been reduced to like 30 people in a winnebago is supposed to be some kind of triumphant moment.

12. I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be 12 rebels in the winnebago. On account of the Jesus thing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Which would mean Rian Johnson doesn't see droids as people.

One of the remaining rebels is just offscreen on the left, and one is obscured behind the group on the right, but it looks like there's definitely supposed to be 13 living people aboard the Falcon here (12 rebels plus Rey, their savior).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The droids are the little fat naked angels, obviously.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the star wars theme and credits wipe coming after that display of the shattered remnants of the rebels is almost as good as the one where the guy trips and spills his drink

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The Rey Skywalker ending has powerful first draft energy for how incredibly awkwardly written it is.

"I'm Rey."

"Rey who?"

[sees a Walmart DVD rack in the middle distance]

"Rey-se of Skywalker, now available on home video release!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"I'm Rey."

"Rey who?"

"Rey YOUR BALLS, get off my property!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As dumb as the scene in Solo where the guy gives Han a last name at least it was a situation where it was natural that they were talking about names. Not just some random lady wandering by who for some reason requires a full name.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

As dumb as the scene in Solo where the guy gives Han a last name at least it was a situation where it was natural that they were talking about names. Not just some random lady wandering by who for some reason requires a full name.

“What’s your name?”

“Dash.”

“What’s your LAST name? Who are your people?”

“I don’t have any people.”

“Hmm. The computer seems to be taking a while to render your paperwork... Rendar.”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

“What’s your name?”

“Dash.”

“Hmm. The printer seems to be on the fritz with the coloured ink... Rainbow.”

:ranbowdash:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That house never showed up prior to is appearance at the end of the film so if you didn't see the other films it id a complete nonsequitor all around.

All the chinese people I know who watched TFA couldn't figure out who these people we were supposed to give a poo poo about were so fuckin laffo disney.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

nine-gear crow posted:

“What’s your name?”

“Dash.”

“Hmm. The computer seems to be taking a while to render your paperwork... Rendar.”

Lmao

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's also a puppet that quizzes Rey on her full legal identity.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Listen, we may live in a galaxy with hundreds/thousands of inhabited planets each with their own cultural norms but by god you better have a last name. Just ignore all those other characters who just have one name, like Finn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fin's last name is N.

FinN.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Yeah my name is F-N.

F-N Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So, like how do you think the very pushy lady would have reacted to Rey dropping the name of the galactic dictator who came back from the dead (in fortnite) when pressed for a surname.