Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Raluek posted:

i guess i need to re-read my essential guide to vehicles and vessels, because i remember pretty much everything being built by kdy, incom, and mon cal

The three biggest shipyards in the galaxy are Kuat (Kuat Drive Yard's home base), Corellia (owned by the Corellian Engineering Corporation) and Fondor (owned by the Guild of Starshipwrights, a subsidiary corporation of the Techno Union).

Incom doesn't have any major shipyard facilities to its name, probably because they didn't need them because they mainly manufactured starfighters and airspeeders, so smaller factories and renting space in other people's shipyards would be sufficient. Same goes for Sienar Fleet Systems. The Mon Calamari Shipyards are a major Capital-class production facility (and certainly one of those 6 that were not affiliated with the Empire) but they weren't in the same league as the main three. Mon Calamari shipbuilding is a more artisanal affair rather than an effort of mass production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
none of this EU nonsense can explain why Palpy had a thousand+ of the things just chilling ready to go

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

indigi posted:

none of this EU nonsense can explain why Palpy had a thousand+ of the things just chilling ready to go

Well, Kuat Drive Yards could crank out like about 1,000 Star Destroyers a year, so in the 30 years between Return of the Jedi and Rise of Skywalker, you could feasibly get like 30,000 Imperial-Is, But With Death Star Cannons, I Guess made... the only problem is that the only place with the kind of facilities to build a fleet like that is the orbital ring around Kuat itself, which would have been in New Republic hands from the Battle of Jakku onward, or at least under Republic observation, so it would have been fairly common knowledge that KDY was cranking out old Imperial-Is by the crateload and they were all jumping away immediately to some weird unknown part of the galaxy.

Just...

Exegol is dumb. It's the only part of the Sequels you really can't do anything to try and explain and make it better. The more you think about it, the worse it gets.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, Kuat Drive Yards could crank out like about 1,000 Star Destroyers a year, so in the 30 years between Return of the Jedi and Rise of Skywalker, you could feasibly get like 30,000 Imperial-Is, But With Death Star Cannons, I Guess made... the only problem is that the only place with the kind of facilities to build a fleet like that is the orbital ring around Kuat itself, which would have been in New Republic hands from the Battle of Jakku onward, or at least under Republic observation, so it would have been fairly common knowledge that KDY was cranking out old Imperial-Is by the crateload and they were all jumping away immediately to some weird unknown part of the galaxy.

Just...

Exegol is dumb. It's the only part of the Sequels you really can't do anything to try and explain and make it better. The more you think about it, the worse it gets.

Its not that hard, Exegol was out in the Unknown Regions, where the Rakatan Infinite Empire's core world's were. That part of the lore is still canon, they brought it up in that Resistance cartoon, just say he found a Star Forge out there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Its not that hard, Exegol was out in the Unknown Regions, where the Rakatan Infinite Empire's core world's were. That part of the lore is still canon, they brought it up in that Resistance cartoon, just say he found a Star Forge out there.

"It's going to take HOW long to build all of them? ...Eh, gently caress it, I'm not going anywhere for a while anyway."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sheev made all those ships with evil magic. He could’ve made them before ANH but he likes to have fun and try out weird builds, and the enemy team was several tiers below him.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I heard the reason Sheev has 1000 Star Destroyers with dicks is because the film was so rushed they didn't have time to make something new and just took whatever 3D models they had on hand and they happened to have a detalied ISD from Rogue 1.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When you have a literal decade to plan for a movie and it still ends up rushed... though reminds me how Endgame felt like they threw it together hastily after Infinity War.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
From what's been sade about how the sequel trilogy came to be, planning was a part they entirely skipped.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SolarFire2 posted:

From what's been sade about how the sequel trilogy came to be, planning was a part they entirely skipped.

Kind of like the Resistance's attack on Starkiller Base: throw poo poo at it and hope for the best.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

I heard the reason Sheev has 1000 Star Destroyers with dicks is because the film was so rushed they didn't have time to make something new and just took whatever 3D models they had on hand and they happened to have a detalied ISD from Rogue 1.

They also procedurally generated like 90% of the civilian calvary fleet in order to crank out 10000 "unique" ships for the climax that no one really saw or cared about anyway.

I also think they let an AI procedurally generate the script too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone's idea of them all being ghost ships crewed by stormtrooper ghosts in broken hosed up armor fueled by Sheev was way radder

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

indigi posted:

That's because the idea was stupid.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

The movie was rushed, but not "we didn't have time to build a new model for the main bad guy ship" rushed.

It's still stupid though - the First Order used exactly the same logic in TFA and still managed to have new ships, plus all of Sheev's troops use pretty much the same Stormtrooper design as the regular First Order guys, so the Time Capsule explanation is apparently only for the Star Destroyers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Robot Style posted:

The movie was rushed, but not "we didn't have time to build a new model for the main bad guy ship" rushed.

It's still stupid though - the First Order used exactly the same logic in TFA and still managed to have new ships, plus all of Sheev's troops use pretty much the same Stormtrooper design as the regular First Order guys, so the Time Capsule explanation is apparently only for the Star Destroyers.

Aren't those ships technically NOT Imperial 1s, but a design that looks exactly the same at 2x scale? I remember a lot of complaints about that specifically, jokes about double height windows and climbing on the consoles.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, according to placemat lore they're Xyston class Star Destroyers that are 1.5x the size of Imperial Star Destroyers.

They're clearly supposed to be Imperial class with superlasers, but since Rise of Skywalker actually has people running round on them and generally getting much closer, the ships probably didn't read as big as they wanted them to, so they just scaled the models up to be more imposing, and to allow the fleet to cover a larger area without actually rendering more ships.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone's idea of them all being ghost ships crewed by stormtrooper ghosts in broken hosed up armor fueled by Sheev was way radder

That would have been balls out awesome and would have been a much better way to establish how powerful post-death Palpatine had become and what a pure spite gremlin he really was at heart, with him willing an entire fleet and army of corpses to move at his command through his anger alone like a the puppet master he is.

Shame this movie didn't have a better writer and director, because there were some actually salvageable parts to it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think something like that was actually in the cards at some point.

Originally, Palpatine was resurrected beneath the Jedi temple on Coruscant, which had been abandoned. At some point, they just moved his whole setup to Exegol instead, so I think that the original explanation for where he got all those cultists to hang out at his stadium and run his star destroyers was that they were the people of Coruscant who'd slowly become corrupted by his presence over time.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

RBA Starblade posted:

he's an all powerful wizard anyway, why not.

Bring things full circle: Have him resurrect the Jakku fleet

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Bring things full circle: Have him resurrect the Jakku fleet

Bring things full circle: Revenge of the Gungans

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Robot Style posted:

I think something like that was actually in the cards at some point.

Originally, Palpatine was resurrected beneath the Jedi temple on Coruscant, which had been abandoned. At some point, they just moved his whole setup to Exegol instead, so I think that the original explanation for where he got all those cultists to hang out at his stadium and run his star destroyers was that they were the people of Coruscant who'd slowly become corrupted by his presence over time.

That would have been a better way to bring this all full circle instead of Random Sith Planet. Also it's apparently canon now that Palpy made the Jedi Temple into the Imperial Palace, so he spent like 20 years living, eating, sleeping, and making GBS threads in the house of all his dead enemies like it was the universe's longest endzone dance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

That would have been a better way to bring this all full circle instead of Random Sith Planet. Also it's apparently canon now that Palpy made the Jedi Temple into the Imperial Palace, so he spent like 20 years living, eating, sleeping, and making GBS threads in the house of all his dead enemies like it was the universe's longest endzone dance.

Well, you can't say that's not the most extremely Sheev thing to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nine-gear crow posted:

I bet he always makes Anakin wait for him in the room he murdered all the younglings in

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

he got pwned by a newblet, how powerful was he

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

indigi posted:

Twice :eng101: He got owned not once, but twice by two different idiot teenagers in the span of 40 years. The second time because she got the bright idea to make an X with two lightsabers and that loving fried him right back to space hell.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

RBA Starblade posted:

While we're talking about "Full Circle," stuff, how about "If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine," and "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force?" coupled with this idea?

One of the most idiotic things about Rise was the idea that Kylo "Kill The Past," Ren would have willingly bent the knee to ANYONE after Last Jedi, especially the former Emperor. It's not like he wasn't already dominating the galaxy with the First Order's forces alone, why did he even NEED the Emperor's Fleet? If he FEARED the Emperor's fleet, why not use it to make another play for Rey's allegiance by presenting it as the far greater threat than the First Order's rule, it would have been the perfect leverage to try and turn her again? Or why not do LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE? Why kowtow to Palpatine, the one choice most at odds with his character?

The idea that the Emperor, through his death, transcended to a new level of power in the Force, powerful enough to conjure an armada to subjugate the whole galaxy and an army of ghosts to crew it, would have certainly been a more compelling argument. The Emperor can do only with his mind and the Force what Kylo needs millions of followers to accomplish? What better carrot for someone who was humbled by his former teacher and ostensibly betrayed by his kindred spirit? If Palpatine can become this Force God, then Kylo can too, and he won't need these frail, weak First Order pawns OR Rey anymore, he'll be able to stand alone in a universe he burned to the ground and rebuild it entirely in his own image. Kill The Past isn't a philosophical point anymore, it is a power that he can hold in his hand.

Then it comes to Rey to show him that what the Light, and herself, can offer is worth more than that. The irreplaceable, incalculable value of life, and love. That for all pure power and hate can give you, there are something things that are forever beyond its reach, even when it achieves the godlike scale of the Emperor. The things that Ben Solo had really wanted all along.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, according to placemat lore they're Xyston class Star Destroyers that are 1.5x the size of Imperial Star Destroyers.

They're clearly supposed to be Imperial class with superlasers, but since Rise of Skywalker actually has people running round on them and generally getting much closer, the ships probably didn't read as big as they wanted them to, so they just scaled the models up to be more imposing, and to allow the fleet to cover a larger area without actually rendering more ships.

I love that Bigger Stardestroyer poo poo in ROS because it's so useless. Like, nobody except hardcore nerds will be able to tell those are bigger STDs because you'd need to show them in relation to old STDs or possibly other things the audience knows the size of.

Stardestroyers are already Huge, that is their main feature. Return of the Jedi pulled an Independence Day Ufo Reveal to show off that the Executor is even huger. And Rise of Skywalker... makes a note somewhere in complementary flyers that these are twice as huge as the other huge thing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I love that Bigger Stardestroyer poo poo in ROS because it's so useless. Like, nobody except hardcore nerds will be able to tell those are bigger STDs because you'd need to show them in relation to old STDs or possibly other things the audience knows the size of.

Stardestroyers are already Huge, that is their main feature. Return of the Jedi pulled an Independence Day Ufo Reveal to show off that the Executor is even huger. And Rise of Skywalker... makes a note somewhere in complementary flyers that these are twice as huge as the other huge thing.

ROS sucks but you've got the logic backwards here. They made some Star Destroyer models, decided they weren't the right size to look good in this scene, and scaled them up. Then they made an explanation for why the windows are a bit too large if you freezeframe the blu-ray in a licensed art book. It's not making the ships bigger for the sake of being bigger, it's making a canon explanation for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it size detail to shut up nitpicking nerds.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Cease to Hope posted:

it's making a canon explanation for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it size detail to shut up nitpicking nerds.
And we can see how well that worked out for them

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Grendels Dad posted:

It's the Death Star II all over again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grendels Dad posted:

nitpick, that was Empire Strikes Back where they did the Executor reveal

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

indigi posted:

uhhhh, i believe you'll find he got pwned by all the Jedi, everrrr

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also thanks for reminding me about the big dumb death penis fleet at exegol. reminds me of how, on the way out of the theater from seeing TROS, one of my friends turned and said "...did anyone else notice how the movie made a big point of how the bad guys have been going around abducting children to fill out their crews? and the climax of the movie was just blowing away thousands of ships full of those crews?"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the movie made a big point of how the bad guys have been going around abducting children to fill out their crews

i genuinely do not remember this part of ROS

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cease to Hope posted:

Aren't the FO also taking children during the raids on Babu Frick Planet?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nitpick, that was Empire Strikes Back where they did the Executor reveal

:doh: right thanks. Makes sense too, since that is the one without a Death Star so they get to show off a cool big ship instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cease to Hope posted:

It comes up in TFA that the stormtroopers are kidnapped and indoctrinated as children

No one really cares

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

harsh, that's like the entirety of Finn's story over the 3 movies

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RBA Starblade posted:

It comes up in TFA that the stormtroopers are kidnapped and indoctrinated as children

No one really cares

At a certain point, they're still shooting at you. That point was the first 3 minutes of A New Hope.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grendels Dad posted:

Aren't the FO also taking children during the raids on Babu Frick Planet?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What even happens to the FO fleet i cant remember. Theyre not even at Exegol are they?