Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

The good news is that TROS has established that you don't even need an explanation for un-killing a character so we can expect Kylo and possibly Han maybe even Luke to just be in the next film, no consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

zoux posted:

Who got unkilled

Palp

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

P much every star wars film is made worse by the context of other star wars films.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Barudak posted:

The Christmas Special wouldnt be half as fun without the other films

:hmmyes:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Tyranny did "whole army where murdering your superior officer was OK" and it was...unstable.

IRL, "authoritarian personality" refers to two very different but very linked personalities: people who want to rule like dictators, and people who want to be ruled by dictators. Fiction about the latter is less common since they're kind of pathetic.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

TheBystander posted:

TROS should have just made the final order an undead army. The massive fleet of star destroyers are clearly the debris of the empire's old armada, covered in burns and blasts, held together only by palpatine's will. The first order cronies look into the window of a ghost ship to see it manned by stormtroopers in armor that is burnt or full of holes, and it quickly becomes apparent that there's nothing inside the armor. Palpatine himself is just the sith equivalent of a force ghost, only existing because of the hatred and fear of his legacy that remains in the universe. When Palpatine gets defeated, the ghost ships crumble into nothing, leaving the first order suddenly on far more even ground with the Resistance.

Anyway, that's my fanfic, please like and comment.

Pirates of the Caribbean was fun but I haven't seen it since high school.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

The C3PO bit was necessary as the core plot of all Star Wars, the thing that distinguishes the mainline from the EU, is three generations of the same family bullying their effeminate slave.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

The first few attempts were Snokes. Sheev's gotta been like "The gently caress? This isn't me! This is just some guy in a bathrobe!!"

And the guys were like "Look man you got vaporized twice, we had to scrape mummified cells off of your toothbrush!!"

"What! I don't have a toothbrush! Who the hell did you clone???"

Sheev learn basic hygiene challenge

Also

Cease to Hope posted:

it's not a very good movie

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

palpatini, easy on the tini

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Outside of film geeks like us going "why they gently caress did so much money/labor get flushed down the drain on such a bankrupt project," everybody who has any emotion about the sequels only actually has opinions on TLJ lmao

Finn doing a 360 on his morality in the first like 20 minutes was probably the moment where I completely checked out.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Heroes got really bad really fast. The first season was fun, but it spiraled way out of control with the dumb circus villains.

If Heroes had simply flat ended at the end of S1 it would have been fine, or if later seasons had focused on "normal people getting super powers and having trouble with it" with a new cast each season that also would have been fun. The characters weren't actually any good but if you didn't spend too long with them that's not that big of a deal.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

That's not even a character arc.

Finn is the DnD character played by a guy who shows up only randomly and barely knows the rules and just wants to roll some dice without any complication, and when he's not around the other players just have him autopilot through encounters so that he's not a meaningfully different character when the player shows back up.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm still struggling to put into words how ANH manages to pull off making its world feel large and lived in where the sequels just mention stuff that the audience can tell will probably show up in a cartoon, spin-off, video game or comic book.

ANH didn't already have 40 years of cynical cash-ins before it was released.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Masks are cool, IMHO.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Rogue One is a perfectly fine heist movie that is made substantially worse by its participation in Star Wars canon, but 1) that's every Star Wars other than Empire and 2) it's a prequel.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

is Star Wars Galaxies a sequel? Cuz there's some really interesting stuff going on there and the dev post mortem is really fascinating. What winds up being kind of interesting is that the inability to balance "Star Wars as a universe full of people" and "Star Wars as the Skywalker's story" ultimately turned into a poisoned pill that broke a lot of legitimately cool designs and ideas.

https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/15/star-wars-galaxies-tefs/

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Incelshok Na posted:

Kylo's sword is clearly modeled after European swords, unlike the noble japanese katana. Something-something little white cuckball.

yeah, it's meant to be a cross to imply that kylo prays to his lord and savior, jesus christ, off screen

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, shapiro's thing is literally being calm hitler, and kylo ren's whole thing is having zero chill

So more of a Baked Alaska?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

New entry in everybody's favorite sequel fanwork

FunkyAl posted:

This is a qubi household. End of story.

I'm excited for star wars to come to quibi, the only streaming platform that can properly capture the scale and majesty of the modern star wars.

Cease to Hope posted:

what are you blathering about

Joker is very overtly a film about how, if the underclasses stand in solidarity with each other, they can stand up to and strike a blow against cops and stockbrokers. If you think that a stockbrokers deserve their place in society above the poor and disabled, it is a terrifying movie. If you're on the other side of that divide it is, if anything, too hopeful.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's interesting how Finn as a character cares deeply about Rey, more than he ever does about anything else, as the one person he's willing to be altruistic for (especially when he sees how useless the nuRebels are), and then if you look at Rey's perspective, he's barely a factor in her life, none of his help is really necessary, she basically lives in different movies from him.

I don't think there's even the implication that they hang out much offscreen, the only thing that really links them together is the presence as main characters in a movie where they share a poster.

So, Finn's the printer goon?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Which DC movies lol because most of them are huge hits. I think the only ones that didnít do that well were Joss Whedonís justice league and Birds of Prey. Aquaman, a stand alone movie, is their most successful one yet.

Justice League did great - 650M on a 300M budget is good even in Hollywood accounting, and very close in numbers to Man Of Steel. Frankly BOP did fairly well too - 200M on 100M is about what you expect for a good performance.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

i was watching the documentary it's taken from and man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVCaUonrbE#t=877s

does anyone else get a crank vibe from this

I think that's just entrepreneurs as a class. The basic technology doesn't require any particular deviation from well-understood physics, and there are research molten salt reactors that actually exist and produce power. I don't know if it will ever lead to any widespread adoption since, well, it's nuclear reactors, which means political factors are the overwhelming concern.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

The implication in Episode 4 is that anybody with the right mystical training can become a Jedi, because the force is everywhere you just have to open your mind to it. This is largely consistent with the rest of 5 and 6, which though they introduce the idea that two of our major force users are related, that's still only 2 out 5 we see on screen. Every force user in 456 either know how to do it for a very long time and is something of a relic of a past age, or Luke, where his willingness to learn is clearly cast as an element of naivete and optimism. Luke and Vader both being force users isn't set up as a genetic lineage so much as an emotional heritage, part and parcel of the deeper father-son emotional conflict that is the core of 5 and 6.

Episodes 123 do a near 180 on this and present the nearly exact reverse idea, that force use requires having a large amount of a specific human-friendly symbiote that is basically genetically inherited. While this is not anywhere near "a specific lineage," it does imply that force-centric noble houses are a reasonable institution for a government to establish, which doesn't happen afaict but again it's all predictable enough that an up and comer rival to the republic would probably do it.

So since you have two nearly exactly opposite positions on force use within the two trilogies (really just episodes 1 and 4 establish a near total contradiction), in future work you've got a 1=0 type situation so you're pretty much free to make it whatever you want.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

I agree with this conclusion, but I think the inflection point is Empire Strike Back, not the difference between the trilogies. The "Actually, this character was tied to the main characters/Force in an unknown way" is the high that every Star Wars story has been chasing ever since, making it ever more incestuous. (Occasionally, literally so.)

5 is an inflection point for establishing that the core of the fiction is about family, but not the diegetic mechanics of the force. The text is quite mum about that, and 5 in particular merely establishes that the one young person who takes the force seriously is the son of an existing force user. It's quite bare on this being a result of physics or genetics, and it's quite bare about the potential of other people to use the force. And as much hay as people make about the 'there is another' line, the writers of 5 at the time didn't know where they were planning to go with that. They just wanted to throw out a bone to the next writers in case they wanted to kill Luke or something.

I am partially looking at the EU, not because the EU is canon but because it gives some sense of what were considered viable reads of canon without as much hindsight as we have now. The EU involved an absolute kaleidoscope of force users, and while they settled on force sensitivity being something of an inborn trait, they didn't seem to settle on the how or why of it. Dorsk-81 is a clone and is force sensitive but none of his 80 preceding clone-bothers are, for example. Of course there is the case of Luuke and Luuuke, buuuuut also cloning in SW seems to sometimes mean "a genetically identical new person" and sometimes mean "a total copy including age and memory" so who the gently caress knows I just wanted an excuse to mention Luuuke.

Anyway point is that things were still vague enough even in 5 that there was plenty of room for the series to go in other directions. 1 establishing that you can blood test for an heritable genetic trait is a pretty strong choice even with everything so far established, which is part of why everybody loves to make fun of it so much.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually, it becomes pretty clear that the Dark Side runs on drama, every single Sith Lord and adjacent being we see is the biggest goddamn drama queen. Which is probably why they suck at long-term planning and cooperation, and Sidious only manages to play the long game well by orchestrating a literal galactic drama with him as the ringmaster.

Lol I like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

josh04 posted:

Rotten Tomatoes has 78 reviews graded "fresh" and 56 reviews graded "rotten" up to the end of 2001. The reviews are primarily from print magazines and newspapers.

That's really bad by RT standards, enough that I wouldn't think twice if someone said a movie with a 58% on RT was "widely panned."