Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
thought i remembered hearing ages ago that ol' george said jedi can gently caress all they want, they're just not supposed to get into relationships

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

at first i was like "oh neat some old giant robot show" and then i realized "OH poo poo THAT'S A ROBO-DARTH VADER! :aaa:"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone wants to recapture the Marvel movie franchise billions, but everyone forgets that all that bullshit started with standalone movies that people liked as one-offs. Nobody went into Iron Man expecting Rocket Raccoon would eventually be in his sequels.

Disney's getting those billions with Disney+ now. They've got something like 68 million subscribers, each putting in $7/month (soon to be $8). Makes sense they'd want to keep a steady stream of new content coming to keep people subscribed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
they've got something like 68 million people paying $7 a month (soon to be $8 a month) for disney plus. they've absolutely done the math by this point and concluded that having a steady stream of half a billion dollars a month is worth propping up as hard as they can.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McCloud posted:

admiral that chewed out the male main character

what's baffling to me is that the movie seems so contradictory on this. like on the one hand poe's an insubordinate jackass that deserves to get slapped down, and gets the bomber force annihilated. but at the end of the movie the admiral and general are all "awwww he's our ~future~" ??????

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The First Order is an organization that exists solely so Disney can bring Star Wars back to the status quo of blue lasers vs red lasers and sell the same shaped toys to us again. If they had been smart the antagonists would have been a completely new threat from outside the galaxy or some kind of internal rebellion (maybe even have some interesting plot conversations about the old rebels now being the ones fighting against a rebellious force) but that would require someone besides JJ Abrams to write the script and welp

I agree that TFA was basically structured as "reset the setting so that it's back to plucky band of freedom fighters vs the big evil empire", but I disagree about the need for extragalactic invaders or whatever. I think the Resistance/First Order dynamic could have worked just fine if they hadn't insisted on making it a galactic-scale story.

Throw it in some corner of the Outer Rim and make the story about a planet or star system that's under threat from an ~Imperial Remnant~ that's slowly creeping out and absorbing neighboring systems. The Republic doesn't give a gently caress because, idk, apathy, corruption, deficit hawks, whatever. So the heroes of the story are basically on their own to scrounge up resources and fight for their homes. The Empire doesn't have to be menacing the entire galaxy for them to be evil fascists that need to get their poo poo kicked in.

If Disney still insists on the original trilogy characters making appearances, it's dead simple. Han's smuggling them weapons and other supplies; Leia's coordinating some extra-legal backchannel support (intelligence, maybe a nod on where to find a cache of old Rebellion equipment); Luke idk maybe one of the new heroes has got the midis and needs some guidance.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally watched Rise of Palpatine

What the hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9DvIs97G0

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bogus Adventure posted:

Imagine loving Force Fraggles explaining that they are midichlorians using people as avatars in the fight between Good and Evil!

reminds me of that episode of star trek where rock creatures make captain kirk and mr spock team up with abraham lincoln to defeat history's greatest monsters

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i know this is an ultranerd question but in Star Wars how hard is it to build warships

like, is it something only a handful of shipyards with a vast space-industrial infrastructure behind them can do, or could, say, the Hutts start swinging their dicks on the galactic stage within a couple years if they cut their rancors and palace barges budget by 5%?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grendels Dad posted:

I love that Bigger Stardestroyer poo poo in ROS because it's so useless. Like, nobody except hardcore nerds will be able to tell those are bigger STDs because you'd need to show them in relation to old STDs or possibly other things the audience knows the size of.

Stardestroyers are already Huge, that is their main feature. Return of the Jedi pulled an Independence Day Ufo Reveal to show off that the Executor is even huger. And Rise of Skywalker... makes a note somewhere in complementary flyers that these are twice as huge as the other huge thing.

nitpick, that was Empire Strikes Back where they did the Executor reveal

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

indigi posted:

he got pwned by a newblet, how powerful was he

uhhhh, i believe you'll find he got pwned by all the Jedi, everrrr

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also thanks for reminding me about the big dumb death penis fleet at exegol. reminds me of how, on the way out of the theater from seeing TROS, one of my friends turned and said "...did anyone else notice how the movie made a big point of how the bad guys have been going around abducting children to fill out their crews? and the climax of the movie was just blowing away thousands of ships full of those crews?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grendels Dad posted:

Aren't the FO also taking children during the raids on Babu Frick Planet?

yes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Robot Style posted:

The hastily assembled (as in, they had one day to do the concept art) montage

lol what

how was this such a trainwreck production??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

But what kind of D6?

Hey these aren't D6s!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
how much you guys want to bet he deliberately tries to make himself look kinda like steven spielberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was really cynical about that scene because the way the movie shows the child taking inspiration is in the form of playing with toys and merchandise, which kinda feels like a marketing thing.

And then they all fly away in the space winnebago, and here's these kids who had no way of knowing what was happening in that battle and the kid the camera lingers on is probably more inspired by Finn and Rose from their actions earlier in the movie.

the maximally cynical read on this is that in putting the Jedi to bed and making it so that ~anyone can be a wizard Force-user~, Disney is looking forward to eventually doing Marvel-style superhero movies, but in Star Wars