Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I was fine with most of the story bits on paper but it absolutely should have been two movies—ideally Disney would have actually planned out the trilogy in advance but making it a quintet instead of a trilogy would have worked too. Nothing gets built up to, it just happens and then we’re immediately rushed to the next setpiece because we don’t have time to let anything breathe. The opening crawl just being like “oh hey guys Palpatine is back” is the most obvious thing but the whole movie is like that.

TremorX posted:

A character recommends hyperspace ramming Exegol and they're all like "nah that was a ONE IN A MILLION THING" instead of leaning into it, JJ wishes he'd thought of it

They had to do that, though, they need some half-rear end reason for the kamikaze not to work again or else they wouldn’t be able to have an actual battle scene again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nucular Carmul posted:

The first half hour of the movie almost made me want to leave. It was too fast paced and lovely, and I didn't get invested until Rey shot lightning and blew up chewie. Then they were like lol finn has no object permanence (hello jenny nicholson) and he was just alive again and I stopped caring again.

Not only was immediately bringing Chewie back a chickenshit move but they revealed that to the audience before they did to the main characters so that big scene where they attack the enemy ship in Chewie’s memory has any potential emotional impact drained out of it in advance lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, Palpatine should've been legitimately just a ghost in some kind of soul jar fuelling a bunch of old Sith weapons out of sheer hatred and he's only beaten when people work together to cut him off from the Force

Yeah, this was my hope going in. A physical resurrection combined with not explaining anything about it robs the finale of any drama since for all we know he could just come back in another 40 years. It should have been spiritual warfare.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

reignofevil posted:

"We'll call them...... planet destroyers"

"Sir a star is bigger than a planet"

"What?"

"They were called star destroyers. Stars are huge and really hard to blow up. Blowing up a planet is honestly a step down."

"What??"

They’re called star destroyers because they are destroyer-class ships, but in space. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Honestly I had the exact same thought. Should have just been a Force ghost! Or a dude in a jar, I don't know.

Yeah when I first read the leak that Palpatine was back I thought it was cool because I assumed it was going to be his spirit and it would be like an evil inverse of Obi-Wan guiding Luke after death. Like Palps saw some potential in Snoke and inducted him into the Sith from beyond the grave, then shifted to Kylo or even Rey once Snoke was dead. Oh well.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Did they ever explain how Luke's lightsaber ended up with the myopic alien lady

I never got why this was such a sticking point for so many people. It fell down a big hole, some scavenger found it and recognized what it was and sold it to Kanata because she trades in weird old relics. Whatever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

See that's the thing. I'm largely just "eh, it was okay" about TLJ, but I can't stand ROS purely because it's a 2 hour temper tantrum that spends most of its runtime actively trying to wipe TLJ away instead of just taking a breath and figuring out how to end the story based on what TLJ left you with like a mature big boy writer would. You know, like Colin Trevorrow apparently did before they fired him.

I mean, TLJ did that to TFA too. Abrams clearly intended to do something with Rey’s parents, Snoke, etc, just for Johnson to say “gently caress it.” TROS was doomed from the start because even if it had followed up from TLJ you’re getting a trilogy where only 2 movies actually matter.

I guess it would have been a lot less obvious if he had continued from TLJ though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Poopernickel posted:

What I wanna know is - if Stonks was created by Palpatine, why didn't Sheev make him better looking? A charismatic Supreme Leader seems like a no-brainer. Palps doesn't seem like somebody who misses the small details.

I assumed he was supposed to be a Sheev clone but the technology wasn’t perfect and they came out all hosed up, and that’s why he himself was all messed up too, like his body was still under construction or also malformed or whatever. Which doesn’t make 100% sense but I guess that’s what happens when the film doesn’t explain it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

cams posted:

yeah i hate all of this. snoke works best as just yet another cog in the sith mechanism of power-hungry sadists doing whatever they can to rack up the most evil points.

I didn’t say it was great lol. I just thought that’s what they were going for.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I thought Snoke was going to turn out to be an old, pre-Vader apprentice of Palpatine, and he was all hosed-up looking because he tried to supplant Palps and got fried, and he barely survived. He licked his wounds and stayed in hiding until Palpatine and Vader were gone and he could try to fill the vacuum. This would explain where he got his Dark Side powers and would make him and Kylo both angry failsons.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Poe was right to mutiny in TLJ because Holdo refused to tell him that she had a plan, for no reason, so as far as he knew she wasn’t doing anything and was going to get them all killed. If they had like one line of dialogue where she says, “I can’t tell you my plan for operational security but I have one and I need you to trust me” then he actually would be a cocky hotshot and not just a guy trying to keep his friends alive.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

cams posted:

nah he should have respected the chain of command and his (and your) distrust of holdo is because she is a woman

gently caress you

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

cams posted:

disagree with the genderflip theory and also your general premise. a military leader does not need to go to their troops one by one explaining their plans and decision making out of fear that their troops are going to question their leadership and form a full-scale mutiny.

a more viable argument is that, if she were a more experienced leader, holdo should have realized how cocksure and arrogant poe was and either a) sat him down and explained to him that she is in fact capable and has a plan and he should shut the gently caress up or b) strapped him with irons and thrown him in the brig, sure.

This is exactly what I said she should have done and you called me a sexist for it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not her responsibility to coddle him. If you tell a pilot "I have a plan, stop bothering me when I'm doing my job" and he flips his lid in front of everyone, that's his fault. Nobody was even displaying any kind of distrust of Holdo or refusal to follow her plans until Poe went into a frenzy and began whipping them up into mutiny. It was just him who had this kind of problem.

Did she actually say this though because to my memory she did not, and the whole crux of the issue for me is that as far as anyone else knew she did not have a plan, and she refused to tell anyone that she did. If she actually said that and I like zoned out during that part then I don’t have an issue with it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Agnostalgia posted:

The only moral of the last jedi is that you can have a poorly trained neural network write a movie and a woodchipper edit it and it'll still make a billion dollars if its from a big enough franchise.

The moral of rise of skywalker is that if you do this too many times in a row you might only get $900 million.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mooey Cow posted:

Not only are they not equipped with hyperdrive, they don't even have life support systems :laugh:

They don’t need them because Imperial pilots and stormtroopers wear enclosed spacesuits, as opposed to the Rebels who just have to hope that their canopy never gets punctured

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

What to do if your engine catches fire in space, due to combat damage or mechanical failure:

Imperials: eject and await search and rescue

Rebels: draw your sidearm and shoot yourself in the head

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Step 1: Proceed as I have foreseen
Step 2: Proceed as I have foreseen
Step 3: Proceed as I have foreseen

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One thing that struck me during the movie is that if he hadn’t told her that he wanted her to kill him, she probably would have done it like immediately. Just zap her with a little bit of lightning to provoke her and boom you win

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It would have made more sense if Kylo knew the plan and showed up to dump the exposition and stop her just as she was raising her blade to kill Palps

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

reignofevil posted:

The sequel trilogy should have gone with the avatar model and never ever delivered any follow up.

TFA was the only Disney movie that I really liked so if they actually did just release that and pull the Avatar 2 “oh yeah episode 8 is coming! And 9 and a bunch of spinoffs! Just you wait!” in perpetuity while focusing on games and TV shows and such I would honestly have a way higher opinion of them

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

At least everybody had fun with the discourse

If there’s not some kind of major sociology study into The Discourse underway to determine how and why a Disney soft reboot of a 40-year-old series of family-friendly adventure stories broke our brains so bad then academia’s really failing us

When I watched TLJ I walked away with a perfect feeling of :geno:, didn’t like it but didn’t think it was bad either, just found it mostly boring though it had its high points. If you told me that 2 years later everyone would still be knifing each other online about how everyone who liked it is an SJW cultural Marxist cuck or everyone who didn’t is a sexist and a member of the Aryan Nations I absolutely would not have believed you

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It was a fun watch, I liked the characters and loved the cast who played them, especially Boyega and Ridley, the action scenes were well-done, and I was willing to forgive it hewing a little too close to A New Hope because I figured it was a deliberate attempt to be like “see, it’s a good Star Wars movie, just like the ones you loved! We can do that!” and would just be a jumping-off point for the next two movies to chart their own course. The next two movies then didn’t chart their own course and just continued to rehash the OT while also sniping at each other somehow but I don’t really hold that against TFA specifically.

Although the “here’s a hologram of the Death Star... and here’s a hologram of Starkiller Base! It’s 20x bigger!!” scene makes me groan out loud every time. I think the battle of not-Hoth in TLJ is the most shameless ripoff of the OT but at least they had the good sense not to have an extra turn to the camera and shout “this is going to be even more desperate than the Battle of Hoth!!”

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

Rose was a cheesy addition to a movie that already had too many loving main characters and it seems like jj agreed

Too bad he just went and added a bunch more anyway lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

They have better acting though, which makes them less painful to physically watch. The prequels have all the acting chops of a sixth grade play.

Yeah the casting is easily the best thing about the sequels. Ridley and Boyega are a lot of fun to watch

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

agreed i would also like to know where to find more correct opinions like this

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

So what was the point of all the Threepio stuff? it’s just completely baffling ....what thematic, narrative or character development purpose did it serve? the movie feels a fever dream lmao

It feels like they wanted to make it a big final sacrifice but either JJ chickened out or some suit at Disney screamed at him and made him walk it back. Same with Chewbacca.

They couldn’t even commit to killing off Babu Frik and Zorri Bliss when their planet exploded and they were loving nobodies lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Seems like they could have established that in 10 seconds with two lines of dialogue in the movie. Just have him tell Kylo “these clone bodies can’t withstand my dark side power, and the technology to make more is failing. If we’re going to enact my plan we must act now” and boom it’s all solved

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hell they could have very easily folded it into him explaining the Sith body transfer thing to Rey at the end. When he tells her he’ll possess her he can just say that he won’t have any need for imperfect clone bodies any longer

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Good.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

FWIW, you've at least still got Mad Max: Fury Road, Into The Spider-Verse, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, and The Force Awakens (if you don't think about it too hard) to point to in favour of said maxim. Also TLJ is good OP.

Please share the secret good version of Wonder Woman that you got to see

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Wonder woman and not Captain Marvel?

I never actually saw Captain Marvel :shrug:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Joph Seastriker.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I'll take a genuine disaster over a fake, hollow cash-in any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah Solo was a pretty fun little movie when it wasn’t trying to tie itself back to the original trilogy. It’s just that when it did that it was so insanely stupid that it dragged the whole rest of the movie down lol

I liked the lead actor a lot, he was charming and did a good job playing a character that felt like a young Han Solo without just doing a Harrison Ford impression. Compared to Donald Glover who was clearly just consciously impersonating Billy Dee Williams.