Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Infidelicious posted:

People made fun of me for making a bigger death star so now made hundreds of small death stars.

An underappreciated shout out to the dozens of times that happened in the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That was The Force Awakens dude

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Don't forget "not the assumed star of the next movie" and thus expendable.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

How did Kylo Ren get back to exogol, when a) he broke the wayfinder and b) tie/ln are not equipped with hyperdrives?

Innate sith knowledge / force link to Rey. First Order TIEs have hyperdrives. The whole trilogy made a mess of cannon, but with Disney de-cannonizing everything not on film I guess you could argue that TIEs don't canonically not have a hyperdrive anymore.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I wasn't really being all that serious, though I wouldn't be surprised if the force link was the actual explanation.

How did a wimpy little TIE survive the explosion and crash?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

They don’t need them because Imperial pilots and stormtroopers wear enclosed spacesuits, as opposed to the Rebels who just have to hope that their canopy never gets punctured

I don't think stormtroopers are vac enabled, what with the pilots having air tubes.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

What to do if your engine catches fire in space, due to combat damage or mechanical failure:

Imperials: eject and await search and rescue

Rebels: draw your sidearm and shoot yourself in the head

If they're too cheap for shields, they're not going to send a rescue party into space.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

zoux posted:

Oh right. I guess I'm so used to The Emperor coming back in clone/holocron/ghost/presense form in EU stuff it doesn't even register to me anymore.

I never dug into the EU, but it's my understanding that reviving the emperor, an improbable number of planet killing weapons, and force healing are all things that have happened or happen with some regularity.

Not that this is an excuse, what I do know of the star wars EU is that it's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard of, but these aren't exactly new ground for the franchise.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

ungulateman posted:

there's a three year time skip and by the time ESB starts the rebels are sitting around on an icy hellhole trying to not die and having a hard time of it

the (seemingly unintentional but i'm not sure how much that matters?) message of the sequels is that the galaxy is actually entirely populated by people who don't care

ANH has whichever imperial officer saying the rebel fleet is a threat to the imperial one, which makes the attack on the Death Star one of great importance, it alone is enough to turn the tide and the rebels are capable of overthrowing the empire otherwise.

When it came time to write a sequel obviously having the good guys win before it starts doesn't leave a lot to work with, so they retcon'd them to being plucky underdogs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I enjoyed the first Star trek at the time, but the only star trek I've ever watched was TOS and the wrath of Khan.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ariong posted:

The prequels were ahead of their time! The people who disparage us for liking them are fools!

Anyway back on topic, what's up with these idiots who think the sequels are good? What a bunch of morons.

Ahead of their time in being terrible!

I don't think I've seen TFA mentioned anywhere in this forum besides the one thread where they're talking about lightsaber usage, which really says a lot about it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Gulping Again posted:

I honestly don't think the sequel trilogy went quite as bad as MWO

I mean they didn't try to sell a five hundred dollar gold-plated x-wing or tie fighter

That's because they were $600.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nerds would eat it up and they already have the tooling for the replicas. (RoS explains nothing.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sheevie

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

TROS is terrible but i don't have a problem with a society built on master-slave morality in a setting with space wizards and evil mind control magic

Mind control is explicitly good magic in-setting. The evil wizards just kill you.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

TLJ needs to not have a fast slow-speed space chase as its central setting / conflict and we'll talk. And less Luke.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

How to save TRoS:

Zombies on the evil planet destroying star Destroyers

Finn and Poe gay together

Unshackle it from OT and earlier prequels so it can do more with the first act.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

To be fair there, that's pretty much what happened with Bob's Fett. He just chased the Millennium Falcon through an asteroid belt failing to catch it then got taken out like a bitch by a mostly blind man. Yet people still treat him like he's the Batman of Star Wars.

He had a jetpack and a cool voice and liked to disintegrate people. Sometimes less is more.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They have better acting though, which makes them less painful to physically watch. The prequels have all the acting chops of a sixth grade play.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I didn't see ReyLo coming but the theatre full of college girls I saw it in ate it up so I guess they hit their mark.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Han

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

han just fell off a bridge it didnt even really show him get stabbed. spinny bat guy and the royal guards got hosed up though

He gets impaled, blade sticking out his back and everything.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

Lmao gently caress me, maybe I should watch them more than once.

Nah

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

You take that back, Babu Frick was the best and possibly only genuinely good part of that movie. Not the whole 3PO plot, just the character.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I thought C3PO was carrying the torch for lost limbs with his red arm, but then seconds after first appearing on screen he casually says "I really should reattach my proper arm!" What?!

I don't remember that part, but if so it was a reference to a rare C3PO figure that had a red arm.

E: that I now can't find any reference to on the internet. A false memory?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 25, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

He gets thrown into something that has no business being uncovered, let alone in a throne room.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Squizzle posted:

not inaccurate

but neither the time nor place to be saying that

No, no, it was both insightful and completely accurate.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If Rian wanted rich emotional storytelling he should have put it in his movie.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

Palpatine:
The senates so obsessed
With their legal process
Its hard to pass a law on Coruscant
Power should be more witty
Power should be more pretty
Oh whats the word?

Anakin:
Unlimited?

Palpatine:
Exactly!

That doesn't rhyme!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Turns out, since the sequels aimed to do everything bigger than the OT, the 'your parents were nobody' / 'sike you're a Palpatine' was set up by Rian and JJ in advance, just to outdo "from a certain point of view" in terms of rear end-pulls.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Once you convert to the dark side bad things become good and vise-versa. See: killing younglings.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

he wasn't a master.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

but like, from fingers

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Burns posted:

Wait is R2 even in the sequels?

"Was X from the OT in the sequels?"

The answer is yes, always yes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Squizzle posted:

does bb8 do a single thing

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

So how the hell can you restrike that lightning. Who has that fire?

Anyone who can talk a studio into financing them doing a cutting edge movie without strict oversight. Which is to say no one.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

George just wanted to make films. Like, he was smart about it, but it seems more than anything he is/was just a film nerd.

Walt...wanted to take over the world?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Zoran posted:

at this rate I’m not certain they’ll give Rey any discernible character traits whatsoever

They killed off Han and Luke, and Carrie Fisher is dead for real, so they'll either have to give somebody a character, or maybe just press forward with CGI versions of dead actors. Probably the later. After the upcoming Billy Dee Williams movie they announced at the end of RoS.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

As Lindelof tells it now, Abrams was the guy who said "Alright, what if there were polar bears in the jungle? What if there's a monster? What if there's an escape hatch in the ground?" They're writing the pilot script and developing the series bible and Lindelof keeps saying "Okay, these are good hooks, but why are those things on the island?" And Abrams said "This show is too expensive, and it's going to get cancelled; we'll worry about the answers if we ever get to it."

Sounds like he was right ? I didn't watch Lost but I do remember that it very got canceled.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It got six seasons and it ended on its own terms even after ABC begged them to keep it going for another like three years. Lost went out on basically at the top of the world.

Shows what I know. Half right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

I left TLJ thinking they had no idea what they were doing and that they had spent two films worth of screen time on one films worth of story and that the third movie was gonna have to do a tooooon of work to establish settings and stakes.

If only you'd have foreseen the explicatory possibilities of Fortnite.