Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bogus Adventure posted:

It doesn't help that the screen crawl in TFA literally tells you "HEY, THIS GUY POE DAMERON IS SUPER COOL!!! YOU SHOULD LIKE HIM!!!"

Per some dude on IMDB Poe gets 8 minutes of screentime in TFA. I didn't even remember the character's name going into TLJ since he just shows up at the very end going all 'I'm the ace pilot here to help with the death star trench run the death star trench run'

Coming out of the theater after seeing TFA I was like "at least it wasn't a prequel", and while still strictly better than them by virtue of being watchable, its a lousy movie and the issues of the later sequels can only be seen in the context of how little TFA set them up to succeed / exist. While it had some obvious plot hooks a. it was largely a remake of Star Wars, a movie plotted to be stand-alone and b. it barely developed it's characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I have my doubts Disney would have allowed TFA to be a different movie. JJ was a good choice to make the movie they wanted but the whole thing reeked of being designed in a board room.

Also, because Hayden Christiansen has no star power.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Holdo's hair reminds me of all the older hippie ladies in my parents neighborhood, which is a bit incongruous with her position as Admiral, but that's really on me for knowing a bunch of old hippies.

And then of course it turns out she's from the new age hippie planet.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ANH > ESB > TLJ > ROTJ > TPM > the rest are all down here

fight me

Putting TPM above 'the rest' is the real crime here.

Also, unrelated, but Teagone, is it pronounced tea-gone or tea-gon-ee (like Antigone)? This keeps bugging me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Good: Empire

Charming and fun: New Hope

Probably okay, but I should re-watch it: RotJ

The rest are bad. Varying degrees of badness, sure, but I've recently come to the conclusion that being better than the prequels doesn't redeem the sequels. I could spend time weighing their relative merits, but they're just not worth it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

i can understand not liking the prequels but actually thinking the sequels are better is a completely bizarre concept

The sequels are creatively bankrupt, just another spectacle churned out like clockwork from the Disney movie machine. At best it can be said 'they had some cool action scenes'.

The prequels are a low point in cinema. Every minute is agony, like when Anakin is back with Padme. The closer you watch, the worse it gets. The thought of the horrific acting and dialogue-- I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the movies George should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that those movies will not become a scar. They are in the very soul of the the fandom, tormenting me. What can I do?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Lighten up about Star Wars?

https://youtu.be/5rJS3VBZcz0

E: its a (slightly modified) quote from the prequels.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

From an artistic standpoint the prequels have everything over the sequels. They are as close as you'll come to a singular vision realized in mainstream cinema. But if I had to actually watch either I'd take the sequels; not that I intend to.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's a solid Luke story, but then the b story of everyone else is largely extraneous. That is, while he needs a reason to be a hero again By the same workings, if it's a story about the new cast Luke takes up too much of the film. I'll give you that it's not soulless like TFA, but it's a bit of a mess.

But, as I said at some point previously, TLJs problems are to some degree the fault of being a sequel to TFA which didn't lay a strong foundation for a sequel. Determining to what degree and a more in-depth criticism of TLJ would require re-watching both of them, probably multiple times, and I can't say that's something I'm up for doing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

As somebody said probably in this thread, if you get mutinied against you've failed in your role as commanding officer. She may have been in the right to do so vis-a-vis chain of command, but it was a poor tactical decision. Seeing as he was recently an officer and something something starkiller base (TFA is pretty hazy at this point), the odds that Poe was the mole was pretty small.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Blowing up the first death star would be enough to make you a hero, considering that it singlehandedly saved the alliance and they held an award ceremony and everything, so while I don't disagree that the mythologizing of the OT cast is a meta action, there's good reason for him to be seen as a war hero. Or would be if said war had accomplished anything.

It's a good point that his actions in RotJ are entirely personal and had no bearing on anything else, not something I had spent any time thinking about.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

JJ did ignore TLJ? Like, Snoke's dead / had to be replaced with Palp, but nothing that happened to TLJ really appeared to impact the events of RotS. If anything, RotS felt like the third movie in a completely different trilogy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

What RotS has going for it is that it let the new cast take center stage. TLJ was dominated by Luke and Luke's story, and TFA by someone jabbing you in the side going 'remember Star Wars?' and also more than the necessary amount of old Harrison Ford (none).

I wonder how the sequels would be received if they weren't presented / conceived as a trilogy. TFA could just be 'Star Wars 2000', TLJ could be the start of some new story that wouldn't have to write around TFA, and RotS basically does stand alone, but it could have been done a lot better if it wasn't set up as a third act. Not that I trust Disney's writers to be able to craft a stand alone story any better *cough* Rogue One *cough*, but, y'know, someone could have.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rogue one had a very good (in a popcorn summer move kind of way) final act and while I didn't find the rest of the movie objectionable I can't deny it did jump around too much and too fast for its own good. If it was just a 1.5hr heist of the death star plans it would have owned.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

So the talent agent then asks the family, "...Okay, but what do you call your act?" And the family answers in unison, "THE SEQUEL TRILOGY!"

:golfclap:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Darth Maul

I haven't seen Solo.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Wasn't that just RotS?

Come to think of it, didn't palpyboy come back to life like multiple times in the EU?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't think this lands because Star Wars, particularly in the prequels and sequels, interlinks everything so tightly that all interactions feel like family drama.

I mean, Vader is his grandfather and all...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rey who meme, but the John Galt speech.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I think the only viewscreen in all of star wars is the one vader chokes the dude out on. Considering the state of the tech in targeting computers on the Falcon and X-Wings maybe they just never invented displays good enough to be used instead of direct visuals.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

drat, I forgot all about the sports bar. Aight, I got nothing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That's exactly what you said, it's barely even a paraphrase.

But also lol at thinking TLJ is "deep, meaningful and mythic"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The resistance are right-wing. The directly-literal plot of the films is that they're neofeudalists serving Palpatine in his efforts to obliterate the Galaxy's left wing.

They effectively won before the trilogy even started, the First Order are not the resistance movement in these movies.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

CainFortea posted:

I will never understand why kylo ren's stupid loving lightsaber design didn't just make everyone go "hang on, wait, we're fuckin this all up"

Have your company spend $4 billion on something and we'll see who has the balls to speak up.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

ungulateman posted:

i mean it's violent, barely controlled, spitting sparks everywhere, and obviously not as refined and sensible as other lightsabers. it's an insanely obvious metaphor for his character

also they put it in the first trailer for the exact same reason they put darth maul revealing his double sided lightsaber in tpm's first trailer so it needed to be unique in some fashion or another

This plus, light claymore.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It will never not blow my mind that star wars was worth less than twice that of minecraft.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I didn't laugh out loud in the theater, but it was clear it was going to be horseshit from the first minute, when the central plot point to what was ostensibly the conclusion of a trilogy was revealed in the opening text crawl.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ignorant Hick posted:

I haven't seen the movie in awhile, but doesn't the first order detect the cloaked transports effortlessly once they learn whats happening? From what I recall some officer just taps a few buttons and finds the ships. Why wouldn't they be actively scanning for cloaked ships all the time if it's that simple? Seems like a pretty bad plan if it entirely hinges on every ship in the first order fleet being incompetent. It'd be like if the nu-rebels went in to a head to head fleet battle and their secret plan was hoping the first order ships forgot to turn on their shields that day.

IIRC, he was a magic codebreaker who told them the code needed to detect the cloaked ships, since you can decode cloaking devices I guess.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Vernii posted:

I personally think Snoke should have been cut out entirely and replaced with some charismatic but normal ex-Imperial. Kylo falling into his orbit because they have "some good ideas" would have been a nice departure from just rehashing Anakin's fall 2.0, and allowed for more growing tension as Kylo becomes more ambitious and FO leadership realize they're in danger of their own tool turning on them.

It would have also been a nice deviation from the implicit lesson that the only people who matter on a Galactic level in SW are force users.

Doing something potentially risky? You'll never make it at Disney with that attitude.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Lmao. When you must carry on the tradition of space triangles, but more, you get a space triangular prism.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Whod'a guessed that the "M" they were talking about was necromancy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Asgerd posted:

Too Many Palpatines!: A Star Wars Story Musical

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Jim Henson was incredibly weird.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

It comes up in TFA that the stormtroopers are kidnapped and indoctrinated as children

No one really cares

At a certain point, they're still shooting at you. That point was the first 3 minutes of A New Hope.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

Alright then wiseguy, riddle me this. How would YOU fix the combat system in the force awakens

Everybody fans out and starts marching in place when they land on the deathstar deathstar, and then they all move one at time, FFT style.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Right? That's the face of a movie star. If only he could act.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Is the leakpost not just what literally everyone assumed happened as soon as they saw the movie?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'm not sure I ever even saw a sequel poster. If I did they were as forgettable as the sequels.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why am I not surprised the guy who gets 5 seconds of screen time before having his arm cut off has 50 pages of backstory fluff and was Actually Really Important.

He's got a death sentence in 12 systems don't you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

:thatsrad: