Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

OctoberCountry posted:

It absolutely did and I still laugh whenever I see someone post some unreadable wall of text about how it ruins the lore or whatever

Being genuinely shocking and a great visual isn't in contradiction with breaking the setting.

It's pretty much exactly the same thing as what JJ does with abusing the plot and setting to make a cool scene work, just better executed and without being repeated a bunch of times in a row like in ROS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

2. Luke's Jedi Academy is perhaps the most important part of the sequel trilogy and it's relegated to confusing exposition. Did Luke begin it out of obligation, or because he thought he was Luke Skywalker, Sith Slayer? What was the darkness inside Kylo? Prophecies - which is what Luke basically got from him - are frequently cheap tricks to justify a plot, and TLJ's was. How did Snoke reach out to Kylo and corrupt him? What really happened on that fateful night?

The reliance on prophecy is, in my mind, literally the worst part of the sequel trilogy. It is used in ways that are both extremely stupid and extremely lazy. Leia decides not to become a Jedi to...save Ben. Apparently. That was all they came up with for motivation? And it was a throwaway to boot! That *didn't work*! And the way that she 'saves Ben' involves her using force powers. Extending his life, what, an hour? This comes AFTER Ben murders his dad, murders her friends and war comrades and tries to murder her. How do you square this divine-grade turning of the cheek with Leia's other personality as a revolutionary firebrand and fighter against injustice? You cannot. It doesn't work. Maybe next time the Force could issue a useful prophecy, like 'don't enroll your kid in Uncle Luke's Discount Jedi School'.

Then there is Luke almost killing Kylo because of... a force prophecy! One that is so tangled up with cause-effect timey-wimey bullshit (Luke would never have attacked Kylo if it weren't for the force prophecy, Kylo would never have turned evil if Luke hadn't attacked him) as to become nonsensical. And this is Luke, who is a champion class turner of the cheek, it is the apotheosis of his character journey in ROTJ. If there's even a single person in the galaxy who wouldn't murder Space Hitler in the crib, it's Luke Skywalker. So in my mind despite the good job Hamill does with Luke-as-written in TLJ, the character has little connection to the Luke of the original trilogy other than occupying a convenient mentor-shaped hole in the plot. And they have to use a prophecy to bludgeon that into place.

quote:

Honestly, I'm not sure I have a single bad thing to say about Kylo. Adam Driver carried the films. The character is great but the films never knew how to handle him. TFA paints him as a powerful child, TLJ paints him as a furious warlord, TRoS makes him Emperor but also stupid.

Isn't this a little contradictory? A big reason his character is so fragmented across the films is that his character is difficult to handle and difficult to fit in with the rest of the cast. If Adam Driver is carrying the sequel trilogy, it's coming at the cost of mulching the plot and the rest of the cast under the weight of Kylo.

Though you can draw a direct parallel between Kylo Ren being a great character that doesn't fit into the films and all those 'Trailer Moment' action scenes that were bludgeoned in equally poorly.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 18, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

teagone posted:

The Holdo/Poe dynamic is just basic compartmentalization, i.e., information security. I don't see anything wrong with what Holdo did. The reason she withheld information from Poe is because she knows his type: brash, arrogant, foolhardy, etc., why risk handing sensitive information over to someone like that when that person might just go do something stupid with that information? The irony is Poe does stupid things regardless and inadvertently ends up leaking the plan anyways, lmao. And who suffers for it? Holdo, who has to sacrifice her own life because Poe couldn't handle being out of the loop. Holdo was following protocol to ensure the safety of everyone onboard, but Poe was just being a basic bitch about the whole situation. The better question to ask, imo, is what reason is there for Poe to know the details of such a crucial operation? The guy is a glorified grunt imo, so what use is there in him knowing the escape plan?

Poe is not a glorified grunt. He's the lead pilot, who in TLJ appears to be more in charge of the Resistance than either Leia or Holdo - even if you ignore that Poe is personally 75% of the Resistance's combat power thanks to his marvel superhero piloting skills. Saying that he doesn't deserve to know is also in direct contradiction to him being groomed for leadership. And the movie does little to establish that there might be a spy or other such problems in the Resistance that warrants secrecy, even when it would be easy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Zoran posted:

I think an under discussed part of the sequels is how bad the starfighter combat is in each and every one of them. I think TLJ is actually the worst on that front, with Poe skating around doing whatever he wants on one end, then Kylo returning the favor in his three-man attack on the resistance fleet

One of the weaknesses of the ST is they've lost the connection to old war movies that animated Lucas's films. Part of that was that every fighter was a threat that had to be taken seriously, cuz that was the pattern of those movies. In contrast, Poe (and Kylo) are more treated as marvel superheros beating up mooks than they are treated as expert pilots conducting coordinated maneuvers.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 18, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Sanguinia posted:

"And you can make it strong enough even to make them forget reason. You see when you say that Cary Grant can’t possibly be killed so early in the film, that’s the application of reason. But you’re not permitted to reason. Because the film should be stronger than reason.

You see the attitude of the man, the woman’s behaviour. Of course behind it lies some kind of plot, which I think is quite secondary. I don’t bother about plot, or all that kind of thing...That’s a necessary evil. But that’s why I’m always surprised at people and even critics who place so much reliance on logic and all that sort of thing. I have a little phrase to myself. I always say logic is dull."

-Hitchcock, 1963

If the film is not stronger than reason for you, fair enough. Rise of the Skywalker wasn't for me, nor were any of the Prequels. Last Jedi absolutely was, overwhelmingly, to the point that I rank it as the #3 best film in the franchise.

Like I said in an earlier post, at least 75% of the Star Wars franchise demands some of level of being able to ignore, gloss over and accept idiotic bullshit if you're going to enjoy it. Of the Feature Films, only 2 out of 11, Empire and New Hope, do not require you to excuse something stupid, lame or iffy in quality to appreciate it. Its a dumb franchise. But its also a franchise that resonates because the world and the characters and the deeper meanings of the images and stories and themes connect to people.

Hitchcock made very psychological movies. People could make emotional connections to the characters and get caught up in the events of the film. Part of what makes that work is that the characters made emotional sense and their emotional decision making made sense from scene to scene and was built up over the course of the films. Rose going all "Save what you love" just came out of left field. And with Poe, the audience's emotional sympathy was with him and not with Holdo - a character coded as a foolish martinet more interested in rules than success. RJ was apparently trying to subvert tropes - heroic sacrifice on one hand, plucky rebellious hero on the other - without bother to lay the emotional groundwork for it. This results in a jarring experience for the audience that is only papered over cuz the movie has reached its climax and events are moving quickly.

I mean when Hitchcock was talking about reason in that scene, he was talking about the audience's meta-knowledge that a Hollywood superstar wasn't going to die in the opening scenes. He wasn't giving carte blanche for the events of a film to not hang together or anything.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

despite being a TLJ hater, I do agree that RJ would have done well being handed his own Star Wars thing rather than mainline.

Some Goon posted:

Blowing up the first death star would be enough to make you a hero, considering that it singlehandedly saved the alliance and they held an award ceremony and everything, so while I don't disagree that the mythologizing of the OT cast is a meta action, there's good reason for him to be seen as a war hero. Or would be if said war had accomplished anything.

It's a good point that his actions in RotJ are entirely personal and had no bearing on anything else, not something I had spent any time thinking about.

I think its easy to skip over blowing up the first Death Star, at least for viewers... Aside from the medal ceremony Luke never appears to be treated as a galactic hero in the OT. The ST treats the loving Knights of Ren with more awe than Luke ever got in episodes 5/6.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Maybe this is the Disneydome

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

lmfao look at this scrub who doesnt know about shields

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I remember a lot of that with TFA, cuckball and all. I don't think there was a lot of that with TLJ other than preemptive grifting by people who got popular by being outraged by TFA.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess theoretically time itself is relative and moves at different speeds throughout the galaxy, but that's not really the intention of the movies.

I think they're all within some tolerance of eachother, but what makes it feel more acceptable in Empire Strikes Back is that Han and Leia go through a complex journey with changes of setting, zooming around the Star Destroyers, going through the asteroids, parking and relaxing for a bit only to escape from the space slug, and making their way to the apparent safety of Cloud City. That feels like a lot has happened, so it's fine for Luke to go through his montage and act like he's on Dagobah for at least a week. That's different from how pretty explicitly nothing is changing and no progress is being made in the low-speed chase. They're not going on a journey, they're barely even trying to create the aesthetic appearance of motion through space. It'd probably flow better if they were holed up in a bunker getting shelled for weeks rather than being chased through space for hours.

And in addition to that, The Last Jedi doesn't really ask for the audience to believe that the characters are existing in the same timeframe at the beginning of the movie; it just expects them to accept it like two thirds of the way through. Empire Strikes Back starts with an event that united the two separate groups of characters, but Last Jedi never really did. And it technically has four separate groups of characters doing their own things, so it set out more work for itself and more ways that the audience's understanding of the flow could break from the movie.

I think a larger time discrepancy is that Rey's storyline clearly starts right after the last movie left off, whereas in the other side of the movie the first order has totally conquered the galaxy (although maybe that's just implying that they had already conquered most of the galaxy in the other movie? It kinda ambiguous there) and Leia has formed and deployed a whole new fleet of ships for Poe to get annihilated, and they don't have whatever planet they were based on in the last movie. But that's probably more a problem with the Force Awakens sticking in a teaser for a movie that wasn't written and didn't even have the vaguest of plot outlines planned out yet.
You're right that its a larger discrepancy but its never something brought up first. It doesn't grab peoples attention.

Perhaps the lesson is that if you want audiences to skip over your timeline problems, all you really have to do is not draw explicit attention to your timeline. The ticking time bomb is an easy way to create tension, but used lazily this is the result. You gotta keep a tight control on your timeline if its going to be your central plot. But who can expect Star Wars with its unlimited budget to be up to the standards of cinematic masterpieces like 24?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

babu frik was a triumph of a small critter with big eyes triggering peoples baby reflex over the producers making the character or scene actually good

disney learned from this and made a whole series with the same premise

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

They don't really say it explicitly but the dreadnought was described as a 'fleet killer' and had big long range guns, so it kind of had to die for the logic of 'we're outside their range' to work in the long chase scene. At least within the movie as released.

Though.... they could have taken the dreadnought out of the movie entirely and just had Snokes ship in from the start; the bombing run didn't change anything. Like they took out the big scary ship and it immediately got replaced with a bigger ship. The only plot relevance the bombing run had was for Poe's characterization which as noted got severely undermined. Even all the rebel bombers getting destroyed didn't change anything since kylo blew up the launch bays later on.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

snoke should've been the last surviving youngling

i stole this but i'm running with it

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I'm not sure Snoke actually does anything except indulge in his hobby of molesting teenagers.

By dissolving the Senate in ANH the Emperor does more than Snoke in a movie the Emperor isn't even in.

Snoke's problem stems from that he's just a backup character for Kylo Ren, one that lets Kylo be a rescuable bad boy whose being forced to do bad things instead of a hosed up serial killer.

He's the Cobra Commander to the Emperor's Space Hitler, except Cobra Commander actually does things and can explain where he gets his stuff.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

teagone posted:

Ignoring the PT exists, how would you rate OT Emperor as a villain, then? Where did he get all his stuff? I think part of the issue people have with Snoke is there's not another prequel trilogy for the sequels to explain how Snoke got all his poo poo/came into power. The expectation of characterization isn't fair when someone like Sheev had a whole other trilogy to build up his character that we see in the OT.

[edit] TFA should've been Episode 10, TLJ Episode 11, and TROS Episode 12. Then Disney could've leveraged the gap between Episode 6 and Episode 10 to showcase the downfall of Ben Solo, Luke's Order, and show how Snoke came into power in another "prequel" trilogy in like 2030 or something.

The Emperor didn't need the Prequel Trilogy to work as a villain. Everything that happened in the PT was already known to you by implication in the OT. You already knew he was Space Hitler. You already knew that he built the Galactic Empire out of the Old Republic. You already knew he was a powerful Sith who corrupted one of the best Jedi to be his henchman. I mean, we don't even call him Palpatine, we still just call him the Emperor, because the character was established more in the OT than in the PT despite him being a side character in the OT.

In very important ways the Emperor and the Empire are the same. It is his creation and everything about the Empire reflects the Emperor. We know where he got his stuff because we can all fill in the blanks when people start tossing around words like Empire and showing you how this Empire is occupying even barely livable deserts like Tatooine.

The Emperor's death in ROTJ is also the death of the Empire - they are symbolically and thematically linked, right down to both dying at DS2's reactor. Snoke's death is completely meaningless in the movie in which it happens, even ignoring ROS's revisions... his death isn't even the climax of the scene it happens in. It changes nothing for the First Order or the Galaxy. That's how little he matters, despite being easily the most powerful space wizard we had seen to date.

Snoke didn't need additional movies, he needed a role and a purpose other than enabling Kylo Ren to avoid responsibility for his own actions. He needed to mean something to the First Order, and the First Order needed to mean something itself.

Even ROS' "Snoke as Puppet" could have worked. "The rabble needed an Emperor...so we gave them one." something like that.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 14, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The first order demonstrably doesn't give a poo poo about Luke. All their resources are oriented against the resistance and the republic, after which it turns out that actually you don't need a superweapon to keep the Galaxy in line with fear. ( Kind of a strange position, considering.)

Luke also clearly doesn't give a poo poo about the First Order, at any point. The ST transforms him from an ideologue to a self obsessed shitter who only is roused by danger to his direct family.

Since JJ had no idea what the first order should be the films are hopelessly confused from the start.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Blue milk gags are fun and all but he kind does Jack and poo poo and is objectively terrible to his family. Until a redemptive act washes all that away or something? Like father like son smh

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Barudak posted:

Here:

The school we saw fall in TFA was one of many, Luke either directly or indirectly has founded hundreds of different schools as he went from world to world but never ran them in his quest to bring back the force to the galaxt. After the school he founded and managed personally failed he withdrew to study forbidden texts from beyond the Jedi's collection to better help him understand where he went wrong. The First Order wants this collection as a secondary objective because they believe it will give them more techniques and methodology to train more and better Knights of Ren or leverage the power of the force to win wars.

The map would be a note to Leia and Han to find him if they felt they could forgive him for his mistakes.

Then in TLJ we'd have disinterested teacher Luke still but its because he is unsure of what he did wrong. Between the two of them and recounting his past to Rey and breaking her idealized propaganda version of OT events they crystalize what it was the separated Luke and Anakin both from the Jedi and how Rey inherits that to unlock her own potential.

one of the more amusing points in the EU is that Luke's academies got blown up, infiltrated, raided, subverted or kicked out so often he eventually just said gently caress it and built a Jedi Academy Spaceship

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Karloff posted:

Starkiller base is a deeply unoriginal threat, but, the light of the sun being snuffed out leading to the darkness going over Kylo's face just before he kills Han is a legitimately great moment.

JJ has a legitimate talent for seizing on or creating visually intriguing scenes. Unfortunately he has no idea how to make those scenes happen organically or how to construct the film so the scenes make sense or have emotional heft or anything. S'why Mystery Boxes have worked so well for him, the promise that there's some explanation for all the questions he raises helps keep audiences engaged while he works his magics. Until the sequel or next season inevitably disappoints for its inability to resolve those questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone's idea of them all being ghost ships crewed by stormtrooper ghosts in broken hosed up armor fueled by Sheev was way radder

he's an all powerful wizard anyway, why not.

Bring things full circle: Have him resurrect the Jakku fleet