Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If JJ had any balls

Ha, this is the guy who looked at the fact that Anakin's lightsaber is destroyed at the end of TLJ, and just has her fix it offscreen with what amounts to a band-aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

nine-gear crow posted:

I had to stifle a laugh when I saw the closeup of the literal space duct tape that was holding it together. That was the exact moment I knew the movie was going to be 90 minutes of erasing The Last Jedi at the expense of actually telling its own story.

I cannot tell you the anger and disappointment I felt when I saw the first teaser of ROS and saw the old lightsaber back. TLJ gave an easy setup for Rey to forge her own saber and part of her own identity and JJ said 'gently caress that.'

Edit: Admittedly I'm a bit of a lightaber enthusiast, and so I was excited to see what her design would be.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

As much as I like making fun of how slapdash and rudderless the sequel trilogy is, I have to admit that there's another part of me that is deeply depressed by what was done to the characters who were my favorite heroes growing up.

That the ST ends with the Solo/Skywalker line completely destroyed with absolutely nothing to show for it bums me out, man.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

dudeness posted:

Star War has been outlawed, all territorial disputes are now decided by gladiatorial combat between two massive fighting machines.

I'd watch AT-AT JOX.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh poo poo, right. That.

Plus Jabba the Hutt is a pretty obvious outlet for his fetishes.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

They'd never make Rey a villain.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

As soon as Carrie Fisher died they should have re-shot or re-edited TLJ to have Leia die instead of Luke.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I see the praise for TLJ and I swear we must be watching different movies. Or at least a profound willingness to gloss over scenes that are idiotic and or nonsensical.

Idiotic: Finn and Rose free the space horses, not the enslaved children. Rose takes a harness off one of said horses and proclaims, "NOW it was worth it." Those horses are less than a mile from where they escaped from, it's not like they'll be recaptured within hours.

Nonsensical: Hux orders Kylo Ren to stop attacking the Resistance ships because 'We can't support you at this range.' What? He already wiped out their entire fighter and bomber compliment, plus the command deck of the flagship. They don't need support! Launch your own fighters!

Edit: I left The Last Jedi gushing about it. My sister looked at me and asked if I was serious.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 18, 2020

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The reliance on prophecy is, in my mind, literally the worst part of the sequel trilogy. It is used in ways that are both extremely stupid and extremely lazy. Leia decides not to become a Jedi to...save Ben. Apparently. That was all they came up with for motivation? And it was a throwaway to boot! That *didn't work*! And the way that she 'saves Ben' involves her using force powers. Extending his life, what, an hour? This comes AFTER Ben murders his dad, murders her friends and war comrades and tries to murder her. How do you square this divine-grade turning of the cheek with Leia's other personality as a revolutionary firebrand and fighter against injustice? You cannot. It doesn't work. Maybe next time the Force could issue a useful prophecy, like 'don't enroll your kid in Uncle Luke's Discount Jedi School'.

Plus Luke of all people knows that prophecies and visions of the future are extremely fallible and open to interpretation.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

teagone posted:

I said he's a "glorified" grunt. He might have the respect and rank, but he still falls under chain of command, and remember, he also had recently been demoted by Leia herself due to his blatant insubordination. And I'm not saying Holdo's plan was the greatest or worst tactical endeavor, because that's just being pedantic. The point is Holdo had no reason to let Poe know what the plan was, and that made Poe furious lol.

He's not a glorified grunt, he's a commanding officer.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

teagone posted:

I'd agree that maybe they could've played up a narrative angle that maybe there's a mole on the ship feeding the First Order intel/coordinates of the Resistance fleet's location or something. But I felt the drama between Poe and Holdo was effective enough "as is" to demonstrate the whole need-to-know concept wrt top secret information and whatnot. But I get how that could be unsatisfying for some.

Except the mole angle wouldn't make sense because some random mechanic doing guard duty on escape pods says, "Oh yeah, hyperspace tracking? Sure I know how they're doing it!"

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I don't know, Poe seems to put a ton of trust in Finn and Rose when they come up with a zany plan based on technology no one knew existed until five minutes ago and he's never even met Rose before.

Additionally, in no particular order:

1. Luke Skywalker would've accomplished jack poo poo if not for Vader saving him and the rest of the Rebellion taking out the Imperial fleet and Death Star. Even on Hoth, he does nothing to change the loss of Echo Base.

Good news! He accomplished jack poo poo anyways. The emperor is still alive, the republic he and his friends sought to established is obliterated and he trained no Jedi!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I thought it was real dumb that first order TIEs have a gunner seat that faces backwards, controlling weapons that fire forwards.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Rewatching TLJ, they seem a little confused as to whether they're called the Rebels or the Resistance.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Barudak posted:

"Another deathstar?!?"

I like that a character in TFA actually says this, and the response from JJ is, "Tch, yeah, we WISH it was another death star! This is like a completely different thing!" Cue the hologram projector showing.. a MUCH BIGGER death star.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

kilus aof posted:

From JJ himself:

"It is very much — and it's acknowledged as such in the movie — apparently another Death Star. But what it's capable of, how it works, and what the threat is, is far greater than what the Death Star could have done. Starkiller Base is another step forward, technologically speaking, in terms of power."

"But the exact same thing, thematically speaking."

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I still circle back to what an incredibly stupid line 'We don't win by fighting what we hate, we win by saving what we love' line is. Did Rose think Finn just really hated that particular death star laser? Or was he doing it to try to protect the last of the Resistance, when that laser punching through the door would result in the complete slaughter of every last one of them?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, I guess now that Sequeldome is back, it should be pointed out that a study was done recently analyzing over 1 million tweets and 1,000 YouTube videos talking about Star Wars, and it turns out that the people who are screaming the loudest about Star Wars on the internet are all alt-right assholes who have clear problems with women and people of colour existing.

Weird, huh?

That doesn't make TLJ a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

From what's been sade about how the sequel trilogy came to be, planning was a part they entirely skipped.