Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, Palpatine should've been legitimately just a ghost in some kind of soul jar fuelling a bunch of old Sith weapons out of sheer hatred and he's only beaten when people work together to cut him off from the Force
What if they flushed him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He cums lightning, obviously.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A story for another time, probably in a few years, when you've forgotten what a hash we made of this and you're ready to buy more toys.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Any creative decision was filtered through "what will a hypothetical Star Wars fanatic think about this" as determined by Disney corporate suits and it's pointless to even attribute anything to JJ because who knows what decisions were his and which ones he fought against and bitterly resents their inclusion.
Normally I'd agree with you, but I feel like Abrams is the perfect director for this sort of thing. I used to think people made way too much out of his "Mystery Box" TED Talk as an explanation for everything he does as a filmmaker, but after seeing the ST I'm not so sure.

2house2fly posted:

The big problem with TLJ was that at the end there were only eight villain characters- Hux, Kylo, and the Knights Of Ren. The producers of ROS wisely decided to introduce Pryde and Palpatine, bringing the number of villain characters up to a much more manageable ten.
Ehhh, let's be honest, the KoR are just an extension of Kylo Ren and how he's changed as Supreme Leader of the First Order.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My theory is that Snoke is a cheap rush-job. Palpatine didn't want to train a Sith apprentice; they will always betray you, and it's a headache to kill them and clean up the mess, especially when you're in hiding beyond the known universe. So Snoke is just a bio-droid who has crazy Force powers because he's chock-full of midichlorians. The side effects are that he's 20% bigger than a normal human, and he looks like he was reheated in the microwave.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I thought Snoke was going to turn out to be an old, pre-Vader apprentice of Palpatine, and he was all hosed-up looking because he tried to supplant Palps and got fried, and he barely survived. He licked his wounds and stayed in hiding until Palpatine and Vader were gone and he could try to fill the vacuum. This would explain where he got his Dark Side powers and would make him and Kylo both angry failsons.
That's basically the story of all the Sith apprentices from the Clone Wars, so it fits.

They could have just made Asajj Ventress the Supreme Leader of the First Order.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

cams posted:

in rise of skywalker, lando shows up completely randomly with no real justification cause jj is creatively bankrupt. later, they introduce a young black woman who pairs up with finn for the rest of the movie.
I'd have been happier if Lando were the only OT character to show up in the ST as anything but a ghost.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
We do and they won't

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

When the two ladies kissed at the end of TROS several people in my theater made angry noises

The guy next to me like SPASMED in his seat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

AdmiralViscen posted:

Isn’t babu frik onscreen to murder threepio, which all the protagonists laugh at, and it turns out it wasn’t necessary anyway since the new droid had the info anyway
Yes, and it's very weird, because everything else about him implies that he spends his time liberating droids from slavery. If I remember right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If they had been smart the antagonists would have been a completely new threat from outside the galaxy
:wrong: The absolute shittiest ideas from the EU are exactly this. The Yuuzon Vhong and even worse, the Charon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

The First Order is something that rose from the ashes of the Empire, which is incredibly vague seeing as how it's been 20 years.

Are they supposed to be like the remnant factions in the EU, just former imperial staff who are trying to remain independent? Outside of Snoke, nobody really seems like they're old enough to have been officers in the Empire, and that'd also mean that the Republic has left them around for so long without being concerned about a rival regime that is apparently still in open war with them.

Are they a bunch of fundamentalists with nostalgia for some kind of halcyon days of the old Empire? All their stuff is shiny and new, despite being exactly the same as old imperial equipment, so it's not like they found some old supply caches. Are they some kind of underground terrorist organization instead of holding territory? That would make sense with kidnapping child soldiers, but then why do the few civilians in the movie seem to instantly know about them and treat them as an authority? Where do they get the money for all of this junk?
The hilarious thing is that SMG's interpretation is, according to the Disney EU, basically correct canon. The First Order is a right-wing, revanchist political party within the New Republic, called the Centrists, who then merged with the rump state that Palpatine was secretly building out in the galactic frontier.

Of course, none of this is clearly conveyed in the films. I incorporate the TV shows into my reading of the films, but none of the novels or comics. Because they don't supplement the films, they're written as apologism for all the ways they hosed up, patching "plot holes" and whatnot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Just because it was done poorly in EU books from 30 years ago (which are basically a half step up from fanfiction anyway) doesn't mean it couldn't have been written by someone who isn't a hack and can come up with a good antagonist instead of Bigger Emperor (and also the emperor).
No, it couldn't. It's an inherently bad idea for Star Wars.

Star Wars is essentially political, and has a degree of social realism that's lacking in, say, Burroughs' Barsoom. All those Death Stars and lightsabers have to come from somewhere; this is emphasized when we learn that they run on the same nonrenewable resources. The stupidest thing in Rise of Skywalker isn't that Palpatine can use the Force to disable a fleet of ships, but that he built a fleet of ships in the galactic equivalent of North Sentinel Island.

This understanding is present in the major influences on Star Wars. The Comanches who abducted John Wayne's niece weren't bug-men from another dimension, they were indigenous people suffering under colonialism. Jesus didn't come to Ben Hur from the moon; he came from an oppressed ethnoreligious minority.

The conference room scene in ANH explains that the purpose of the Death Star is to be the One Weird Trick that makes fascism sustainable. Totalitarianism is hideously inefficient--nightmarish bureaucracy, people only working because they're held at gunpoint, and the skyrocketing cost of policing everywhere all the time. The Death Star allows you to literally hold everyone in the galaxy at gunpoint.

As an example, let's say that the big threat was the Chiss Ascendancy, launching an attack from their little kingdom past the Outer Rim. Okay, but where did they get the industrial capacity to do that? What was the Empire doing while they did it? It would be like the remake of Red Dawn where North Korea somehow invades and occupies the United States.

The entire point of the prequel trilogy is that fascism didn't come out of nowhere. It was the result of various forms of social rot, exploited by someone with vision (however terrible), and it was welcomed by a lot of people who wanted change. From the Republic and the Separatists, to the Empire, to the New Republic, people in this setting understand themselves to be part of a global ("galactic") society. All these star wars keep happening because of these global conflicts. Having a huge army just appear out of the "Unknown Regions" is deliberately jettisoning all the themes of Star Wars so you can have a big dumb space fight without actually writing a story. That sort of thing is actually far more appropriate to Star Trek than Star Wars.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 14, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Right, these are just the times for "We must forge an alliance with the Space Nazis to fight the giant gorilla" type stories.
Funny you say that, because I was going to say: Let's say Disney hired me to sketch out next Star War, with the caveat that it had to be about a big threat from out of nowhere. The only interesting story I could tell is how that fucks up society in unprecedented ways: it justifies across the galaxy a techno-fascist state with total control over people's activities, an infinite military budget, and zero responsibility to the people's standard of living. Because the Enemy can't be reasoned with, we never know when and where they'll strike, and we don't even know their capabilities. It's Neon Genesis Evangelion without the Jungian psychobabble, or the status quo at the end of Zack Snyder's The Watchmen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Finn's last name is Dameron

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's the most credible aspect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It really grinds his gears.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Weird, I just marathoned the whole thing. Yeah, it's worth seeing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Quick google search shows the judge in question is a massive chud and Trump appointee. Why am I not surprised?
I'm very surprised, because this all reads like the most dorky, upwardly-mobile liberal poo poo imaginable. How many references to Harry Potter are in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
By far, the worst parts of televised Star Wars are the episodes where they try to make the Force into a Harry Potter/Dungeons & Dragons kind of deal, where allegory and metaphor are discarded in favour of making the Force just some kind of Lawful Good Magic Energy vs. Chaotic Evil Magic Energy lore.