Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I had a similar feeling from TRoS as from the last two Avengers movies: I'd just been bombarded with so many plot points and so much stakes-raising that it all just sort of washed over me. A lot of those plot points are an attempt to handwave away about 80% of TLJ and double down on an arbitrarily chosen 20%.

TFA wanted to demonstrate that it was possible to make a passable Star Wars movie post-1983. Kinda safe and derivative, but passable.
TLJ wanted to demonstrate that it was possible to take the series in a new direction.
I'm not really sure what TRoS wanted other than to end the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

PeterWeller posted:

This! For fucks' sakes this. So much of the discussion around that scene forgets that she says they're nobody. She learned that in the Dark Side butt. Kylo just adds the stuff about them being filthy junk traders and drunks.
The implication of that scene for me was that, like the scenes in TFA where Rey learns most of what she knows about the Jedi by reading Kylo's mind, she's learning that from him and then just saying it out loud.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

zoux posted:

Well that would directly contradict the "you know, you've always known" thing, I think she literally did know and was in denial about it, or at least until TROS changed all that.
She had suspicions about it, but still needed someone to finally confirm it for her.