Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I should hardly think that the fact that hobbies that attract predominantly men between late teens to young adult are rife with conservative viewpoints, should come as a loving surprise

Gaming, comics, sci fi, fantasy, all areas where reactionary nerds are more the norm than exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What exactly was the issue with the prequel dome? I missed the hubbub

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

x-post

So uh, someone on reddit dropped some supposed bts gossip. Take it with a silo of salt, if we start seeing leaks and people gossiping about what happened behind the scenes then there might be some truth to this stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarssp...utm_name=iossmf

quote:

I worked on the sequel trilogy for its entire run. From The Force Awakens to The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker. The world has changed, as has my position in the roots of this tree. In the next coming days...weeks...months...there will be a several leaks due to shakeups at Lucasfilm. Leaks have become a part of the culture of the company. I wanted to set some matters straight before that occurred. Who am I? Does it matter? There's nothing I could provide to convince everyone who I was without doxxing myself. Something I'm not particular open to doing. Take this as gospel or with a grain of salt.

Regarding Lucasfilm

There has never been a cultural civil war at Lucasfilm.

Nevertheless, a disagreement on what direction to take the franchise has always been a recurring problem.

Certain members of the Lucasfilm story group, Pablo, desired to see Star Wars resemble a D&D campaign. More aesthetic, less narrative.

Others, Favreau and Filoni, are pushing/pushed for a more traditional approach.

There isn't some war between Kathy and Favreau. They are on rather pleasant terms. Kathy seems to want him to take over once she retires/is promoted.

Favreau may or may not take the position.

Filoni isn't interested nor is he even remotely qualified to run a film studio. He's much happier working on his own stories.

Regarding The Sequel Trilogy

Each sequel trilogy director prioritized their scripts differently. Johnson was intoxicated with the themes. Trevorrow had been infatuated with the spectacle. And Abrams favored the concepts.

As to be expected, this led to very different approaches to the sequels, some Lucasfilm fancied, others...not as much. Rey, being the biggest disagreement.

Abrams initially had hoped to work with George. That didn't work out. When George walked, JJ had almost attempted the same. Iger stopped him.

Lucasfilm saw the sequels as the departure from the old way into a new era. Initially, they had fuddled around with Rey being the granddaughter of Obi-Wan, before settling on no one.

Abrams wanted Rey to be the granddaughter of Anakin, eventually pushing for her to be Luke's daughter he had with a fellow rebel after the war.

The backstory to how Rey was left on Jakku changed several times. Luke left her with Lor San Tekka, who had once been a force user as well, in one draft. Another draft Kylo left her there as an act of compassion (This concept made it into the final draft of DOTF and the 1st draft of TROS).

Abrams had seen Kylo as a tragic villain and wanted to tell a dark what-if story to the redemption of Vader. Ben Solo would have always been redeemed, but only through death.

Finn had likewise been a subject of controversy. Abrams wanted John Boyega to play Finn. Alan Horn, as well as additional Disney Producers, saw that as a further risk. Horn pushing for an "Ansel Elgort" type.

Finn being a Jedi was also something Disney producers thought was "Too much" if John Boyega was cast. Abrams was forced to water down that subplot in TFA.

Horn was the most vocal against a romance between Finn and Rey. "Risk" factor playing a big part.

Abrams would eventually ask to set up a romance between Poe and Finn when Disney requested him to not go forward with Finn and Rey, which had been refused as well.

Lucasfilm asked Abrams to set up a romance between Poe and Rey, Abrams refused.

To sum it up,Abrams was not on the same page with TPTB.

Rian was far more helpful with Lucasfilm. Working with them instead of against them.

Frankly, this turned out to be a mistake for Rian due to Lucasfilm being indecisive (obviously).

Stories were always being changed.

Abrams had pushed for a more traditional ending to the trilogy, Luke Skywalker living past the end of the sequels, instructing a new generation and his offspring.

Lucasfilm wanted Star Wars to move passed the Skywalkers - pushing for them to be retired.

Rian was less concerned with the beginning or ending, rather what he could do with his chapter. Lucasfilm gave him creative control. Just as long as he took their notes.

Rian's film had gone under re-shoots as well. Some changes. Examples: Crait being moved to the ending. Holdo going from a Senator to Rebel. Less romantic undertones between Rey and Kylo.

Colin, unfortunately, was left to pick up the remains of the comprised Abrams chapter and Rian's self-contained chapter. After many rewrites of the DOTF script, Colin and Lucasfilm parted ways.

Jack Thorne wrote an additional draft to IX. It was deemed unusable as well.

There was only one ending where Kylo lived. It was pitched after Colin's departure and before Abrams returned. (The script went nowhere.)

Enter the return of Abrams, as well as the same conflicts from 2014 - 2015.

Abrams had pitched a two-part film. Part one to cover the aftermath of TLJ and establish his narrative. Part 2 as the closure. (Disney said no, clearly).

The Rise of Skywalker was a mess of different rewrites.

The plot details for TROS provided to Jedipaxis was not the original story of the film. Rather just one of the many rewrites that script had undergone.

The earliest completed script for IX under Abrams and Terrio had ended up a hybrid of TROS and DOTF. One of the working titles for this script had been named "Heirs to the Force".

Rose had a key role in saving the day by altering a communication jammer the First Order used to keep the galaxy in the dark. This message spread across the galaxy would have been Leia's call for help from TLJ.

Rey had learned she was Vader's granddaughter and reconciled her past with Luke.Finn had staged a stormtrooper rebellion after finding a long-lost sibling.

Poe was made the leader of the Resistance while Hux would have been made Grand Marshall of the First Order as kylo's right hand man.

Kylo would have sought to reform the galaxy, but found peace in the end and passed on.

This story was scrapped before/during principal photography. Some stayed in. Some was changed during film.

Disney and Lucasfilm disagreed with Abrams finale. Felt that it needed a villain with a bigger audience presence than Kylo or Hux. Expressing regret that Snoke had been killed off, but not wanting to bring him back.

Abrams had faith that Adam Driver and Domhnall Gleeson would be more than enough and that both men would turn in a grand performance. Disney did not want to hear it. They pushed Palpatine onto Kathy who was forced to push him onto Abrams.

Abrams played ball with Palpatine yet every week on production there were new notes from Disney or Lucasfilm. Eventually, Abrams shot two movies. His vision and Disney/Lucasfilm's. I'll give you a guess on which one got a theatrical release...it wasn't the one with Matt Smith.

The cast was disappointed in the end. Boyega and Driver feeling the most robbed due to the story changes. They had been excited to film scenes together for the first sine since TFA.

I feel for Kelly Marie Tran and Naomi Ackie. It's hard enough for woman of color in the industry. Getting their scenes cut wasn't something Abrams or Kathy wanted.

Some closing comments:

Is there a JJ cut? Still perplexed on why everyone is calling it a "JJ Cut". Calling it "Abrams Cut" seems more traditional.

The answer is: Yes and no.

There is an assembly cut of what Abrams filmed before re-shoots took place, it resembles his original vision. It needs some work and likely some re-shoots. Only a lunatic would attempt to fund it though.

Is there a Lucas cut? No. Abrams had gone to Lucas, like he had gone to all the other directors, and got their input on IX. That's it. Lucas did not ghost direct IX. He gave his input on the initial script Abrams and Terrio worked on.

Differences between the theatrical and Abrams cut of TROS?

Matt Smith, for one.

The runtime would be close to 4 hours.

Palpatine's role constantly changed. From dark spirit to possession to eventually rescued zombie clone. Original role was just a cameo for the fans as it was in DOTF.

Ray's parents had been Luke and a "force archaeologist" who found Anakin's lightsaber after the events of the OT but before the ST. We never learn her name in this story.

Kylo and Rey's relationship was more tragic. Rey wanting to put him out of his misery and Kylo wanting to be free.

There was a scene of of Kylo saving goodbye to Leia. Giving closure to mother and son.

Jannah had been Finn's sister (I'm told this is still on the table for future stories). They were separated when they were kidnapped. Their last names were once Galfridian.

Much of Rose's subplot was dedicated to figuring out how to outsmart the First Order.

Rose and Jannah had a third act subplot of converting the jammer into the beacon to alert the galaxy for the final battle. They become close.

Pryde originally sold out the First Order to the Resistance. The oldest of the old guard tired of following children. Hux and Kylo work together to find out who the spy is by leaking false information. Hux kills Pryde.

Courscant was a key world for conflict between the First Order and Resistance.

Several flashbacks to Luke's life before the sequels. Luke had been looking for Mortis through Ahch-To.

Luke and Kylo would have a proper duel on Mortis. This scene was based off their confrontation in DOTF.

There were hints to Poe's romantic interest in Finn, yet in the end, he gives his blessings to Finn and Rey.

Poe would end up convincing bounty hunter Zorii to aide the fight with her fellow bounty hunters. The two become mutually interested in the other.

Final battle for the Resistance takes place over a giant docking bay with the First Order fleet on Courscant.

Finn leads the assault to the beacon that will call the cavalry with Rose and Jannah. He would have been wielding a green lightsaber. Unknown if it was Luke's lightsaber or an Abrams Deus ex Machina.

The message to the galaxy is Leia's call to help from The Last Jedi that BB-8 recorded.

Sith Troopers are actually clones mixed with Phasma's DNA.

Finn leads a stormtrooper rebellion of normal stormtroopers vs Sith stormtroopers.

Rey offers Kylo her hand for redemption. A parallel/contrast to his offering in TLJ. Kylo rejects it. He thanks her for caring.

Rey and Kylo have their final battle. Knights of Ren would help. Finn arrives to fight them and Kylo with Rey.

Knights of Ren would be killed. Kylo accept his defeat and return to the light as he dies.

Ben would have appeared as a force ghost with his mother and made amends to Rey silently.

Anakin's force ghost would have appeared with the younger force ghosts of Luke and Leia to say goodbye forever.

The Resistance gang would have celebrated on Tatooine at the Lars homestead. Finn and Rey watching the sunrise hand in hand with Jannah, Rose, Poe, Zorii, Chewie, and the droids.

Is the Abrams cut better?

It's a more coherent story than the theatrical release, but its also filled with a lot of Abrams quality writing. If you don't like JJ Abrams films. This wouldn't make you a fan of Abrams or IX. Lucasfilm had thought it leaned to heavily on the "Fan Service".

Will the Abrams cut ever actually get released?

Not sure. Heard some talks about it, but Bob Chapek has had his hands full and is rather cheap. I also don't see a high fan campaign for this ever happening like the Snyder Cut.

My final thoughts

Personally, I favored Colin's ending chapter with DOTF more. IMHO he got Star Wars the best. (Should have given him the trilogy.) But that's just my own personal 2 cents.

They'll be more leaks coming. Maybe from me. Maybe not. I can't provide much personal info without putting my self at risk. Take this however you want. I'm attempting to get this out for the sake of the truth. MTFBWY

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Robot Style posted:

This is real fanficcy and doesn't really line up with other verifiable information about the movie. Some stuff, like Jannah being Finn's sister, is mentioned in published BTS stuff, but there's huge chunks of it that ignore existing concept art from the early versions of the movie, and stuff that the film's editors have said about the extent of reshoots.

Thanks for your input, I was kinda hoping you'd chime in :v:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/the_swsc/status/1301247791440834560?s=19

This solidifies my suspicion that Finns arc was derailed by studio mandate, over JJs objections

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CainFortea posted:

The claim is that people who like them do so because of nostalgia. Nostalgia, is the reason people like them. Nostalgia, which is the reason people like them, is the reason given for why people like them. The poison. The poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen especially to kill Kuzco, Kuzco's poison.

I find the obstinate refusal to elaborate even slightly in favor of just yelling nostalgia progressively louder and louder quite funny, but it doesn't exactly elucidate your original point

David D. Davidson posted:

Okay let me explain.

The original Space Jam was not a good movie. It however gets a pass by a lot of people because they watched it when they were real little and thus hadn't yet developed an ability to critically think about what they were consuming other than it being a pleasing series of colorful images arranged sequentially.

So were the prequel movies for a lot of the people.

Ok, but Josh's main point is that adults who saw it in 1999 for the first time actually liked it too. Where they time travelers who due to nostalgia traveled back in time to see TPM again? Did they suffer from some form of hitherto unknown malady known as pre-stalgia where one is nostalgic for things they haven't seen yet?
Or is the claim that their nostalgia for the OT made TPM more palatable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bringing back this classic: Alex Jones explains the Prequels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzjOlh5g_o