Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Incoherence posted:

It's Rey (and it was always going to be Rey from the moment the title was revealed). I think the idea with the Tatooine scene and the white lightsaber is supposed to be that Rey is the start of a new order which is neither light nor dark, and she took the name Skywalker as a tribute both to Luke and Leia as mentors and to how the Skywalker family represented both sides of the Force.

The idea of her taking the name Rey Skywalker is kinda hokey (and plays into TRoS's fixation on bloodlines), but the concept of abandoning the old ways of Jedi and Sith resonates a bit more: Luke repeated the Jedi Order's mistakes with Ben/Kylo, and Rey learned of this by interacting with both of them, so she's taking a new path and, in the words of TLJ, letting the past die.

there is no evidence that she is taking a new path instead of being a Jedi again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pollyanna posted:

there is no evidence that she is taking a new path instead of being a Jedi again
I'm trying to maintain the illusion that TRoS isn't a complete waste of everyone's time here. Give me a break.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pollyanna posted:

doesn't she have a different colored saber

cams
Mar 28, 2003

movie should have ended with rey smashing the lightsabers and getting to work repairing a moisture vaporator

now THAT'S an overarching narrative

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

indigi posted:

doesn't she have a different colored saber

Jedi temple guards have the same color as hers, canonically

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

lol they just made it all up as they went along

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

All Disney needs to do is hold off the movies for a decade and stick to shows, comics, and gaming.,

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

lol they just made it all up as they went along

this

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a.lo posted:

All Disney needs to do is hold off the movies for a decade and stick to shows, comics, and gaming.,

lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

They should roll starwars into the Marvel Universe
they are

avengers 3 directed by joss whedon and jj abrams co-production

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

zoux posted:

IN A New Hope Darth Vader's first name was Darth.

zoux posted:

It is literally hilarious that George Lucas did not plan out the Star Wars trilogy ahead of time, but because it had "episode IV" as a joke about Republic serials and Lucas said, oh yeah there's nine of these off hand, everyone thinks that all the movies were set in stone in a USC dormroom in the early '70s

I made a thread about this aspect of Star Wars, but nobody responded to it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912056

Squizzle posted:

so is disney gonna greenlight an Episode X as a “true finale”, do a whole new sequel-sequel trilogy, or aggressively reëdit TROS before home video release and declare that the Real Cut?? or try to fix it in tv??? or a mix of any of the above??

I love that New Yorker umlaut diaeresis.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

elf help book posted:

Just been thinking, It is literally hilarious that Disney did not plan out the Star Wars trilogy ahead of time

Just thought about this, and its really funny

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Patton Oswald even has a script for it https://youtu.be/JYNDssdsVnM

Patton Oswald's actual star wars opinions are overall terrible

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 30, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i want a stars sawar where its me and sammy jackson straight heisting banks with force brain powers and getting in sick hoverbike chases and there's one moment where he reveals taht he only started doing crimes with me cuz the other Crime Jedi dared him to Pretty Woman me and i run out into the Neon Rain (its like normal rain by sci fi) and he brushes the wet hair off my cheek and he's like "motherfucker i motherfuckin LOVE you motherfucker"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
then out of nowhere POW it's fuckin, Vicious?! From Cowboy Bebop?! What the mustache is HE doin here?! ahhh shitt sammy jackson nooo stop bleeding haha dont die you're sooooo sexy

and then he's like "motherfucker. . . take my motherfuckin lightsaber, and. . . become. .. the King Crime Boss of All The Criminal Jedi. . . . aaaauguageigheuegh" (thats the sound of him dying)

then im like NOOOOOOOOOOOO cuz its a continutiy moment with that other movie where someone screams. then i have like a rage sequence wwhere it looks like im gonna do a suicide run against the Jedi Police but Andrew WK swings past on a convenient vine and grabs me. ok ok no more derailing the thread from me. . . . unless. . . anyone wants 2 hear moar. . .

Burns
May 10, 2008

I now want a cara dune movie where she punches stormtroopers for 2 hours.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

He didn’t really have it planned out but it was still the product of a single creative vision instead of new directors running the show across the trilogy so he was still able to smooth things out pretty well, instead of having two petty dumbasses trying to dick each other over and tanking the trilogy in the process

Lucas was not involved in Empire's directing at all, and in fact that was the major condition Irvin Kershner had to direct the thing. He showed up on set exactly once.

Star Wars 1 (New Hope if you're an rear end in a top hat) was famously saved in editing by someone who was not Lucas, and it had to endlessly compromise its script based on limitations, disagreements, budgetary issues, broken props, and ad libs. It's by far the most collaborative of the films, simply because Lucas had no real power and had to rely on people's good will and favors to even get the thing finished. Not to mention the multiple rewrites of the original script Lucas made based on notes from his film school buddies that made the final draft almost unrecognizable from his original idea.

You are talking out of your rear end.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'george lucas didn't make star wars 1977' is a stupid opinion based on not knowing a single goddamn thing about how film is made and people should stop repeating it

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

just do this to make nerds super incredibly mad and also signal that they're just not gonna give a gently caress anymore.

have robert rodriguez direct and give cocaine a writing credit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gulping Again posted:

just do this to make nerds super incredibly mad and also signal that they're just not gonna give a gently caress anymore.

have robert rodriguez direct and give cocaine a writing credit

That sounds like an improvement though

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I wanted a Disney take on star wars a la Scrooge McDuck's a Christmas Carol before Disney even bought star wars and I still want it, even though nobody cares about those characters anymore and Disney is never going to hand paint / animate anything again (or pay for a digital work that's convincingly so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ItBreathes posted:

I wanted a Disney take on star wars a la Scrooge McDuck's a Christmas Carol before Disney even bought star wars and I still want it, even though nobody cares about those characters anymore and Disney is never going to hand paint / animate anything again (or pay for a digital work that's convincingly so.

Phineas and Ferb Star Wars is one of the first things Disney did when they bought it and it's really funny

Might want to watch Phineas and Ferb to get the idea but it's really good and also has a spinoff series playing now

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I love that RLM made a video immediately after their preview showing of The Force Awakens where they were all giddy and gushing about how great the movie was and then months later made a Plinket video where they pretended it never happened and instead spent like two hours talking about how a Star Wars movie sucked for being too much like Star Wars. It's such a perfect encapsulation of the weird backlash from fans who openly resent the idea of hope or the feeling of excitement despite their entire personality being built around pursuing the hopeful excitement they felt watching movies as a child.

The fact that people are mad that the giant megacorp didn't hold a franchise in a death grip and instead let individual creative leads dictate their vision for films is just like utter bizarro poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm glad that I paid $14 to see tfa when it came out then saw the other star wars while riding a plane or viewing them as part of a streaming subscription.

I'm also glad I haven't seen ros and probably never will unless I'm super high or something one day.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

show us on the doll where the bad RLM men touched you

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Plinkett video about TFA was pretty positive, it was mostly just rambling about how the media landscape had changed since the prequel reviews and the ring theory post and such, and they do a joke nitpicky bit for stuff like "how does Finn not know what a wookiee is" and their chief complaint was that there's no romance. The TLJ one was interesting in that they seemed to think all the actual criticisms that can be made of the movie were too obvious so just spent the whole video doing the nitpicky stuff they made fun of before

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds like an improvement though

it would be but it would make nerds INCREDIBLY MAD and Rodriguez, while a great director and creative, is also an actual crazy person who is impossible to predict in any real way.

I would make a remark about him having Quentin Tarantino make a cameo where his insane sleazebag character takes an alien woman's entire foot into his mouth and then three scenes later dies of literal crotch rot except that I would just be talking about Tarantino's appearances in From Dusk Till Dawn and Planet Terror where those exact things happened

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

2house2fly posted:

The Plinkett video about TFA was pretty positive, it was mostly just rambling about how the media landscape had changed since the prequel reviews and the ring theory post and such, and they do a joke nitpicky bit for stuff like "how does Finn not know what a wookiee is" and their chief complaint was that there's no romance. The TLJ one was interesting in that they seemed to think all the actual criticisms that can be made of the movie were too obvious so just spent the whole video doing the nitpicky stuff they made fun of before

they can only do the dumb nitpicky stuff

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m starting to think the nerds might not be as mad as you guys think

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

nerds must be extremely angry and bitchmade to disagree with me. so angry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gulping Again posted:

it would be but it would make nerds INCREDIBLY MAD and Rodriguez, while a great director and creative, is also an actual crazy person who is impossible to predict in any real way.

I would make a remark about him having Quentin Tarantino make a cameo where his insane sleazebag character takes an alien woman's entire foot into his mouth and then three scenes later dies of literal crotch rot except that I would just be talking about Tarantino's appearances in From Dusk Till Dawn and Planet Terror where those exact things happened

I really wish they'd let Tarantino make a Star Trek thing

Thing is about the crazy ideas is that they're good for the franchise in the long run just to do something different and expand the idea of what it can be, and can stop a franchise from getting stale and huffing its own farts in an eternally narrowing cycle of what it's 'supposed' to do

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love an eternally relevant franchise

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really wish they'd let Tarantino make a Star Trek thing

Just imagine all the alien feet he’d be able to film....

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ungulateman posted:

'george lucas didn't make star wars 1977' is a stupid opinion based on not knowing a single goddamn thing about how film is made and people should stop repeating it

Notable list of people who didn't win a major award for their involvement in Star Wars: George Lucas.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The New Jedi Order should've been the bad guys.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Edward Mass posted:

The New Jedi Order should've been the bad guys.

They kind of are. The only surviving New Jedi end up either complicit in, or powerless to stop, the destruction of the galactic state. They’re just as lovely as the prequel Jedi tbh, completely self centered and focused on morality and their pals while the house burns down around them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

skasion posted:

They kind of are. The only surviving New Jedi end up either complicit in, or powerless to stop, the destruction of the galactic state. They’re just as lovely as the prequel Jedi tbh, completely self centered and focused on morality and their pals while the house burns down around them.

I meant active bad guys, not passive.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ItBreathes posted:

Notable list of people who didn't win a major award for their involvement in Star Wars: George Lucas.

yeah it came out the same year as annie hall so lucas only got multiple oscar nominations and directed a film that won several others. what's your point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<me gesturing at Peter O'Toole> what a loving hack, 0 wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

just keep passing the buck down the chain of command until finally some outsourced effects artist who makes $5 a day airbrushing Henry Cavill's mustache is forced to make major creative and editing decisions