Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Destroyers are obviously the best kind of star war post your favorite, this is mine

We got gravity up in here, bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
pfffft, yeah okay kid, spin around to make your gravity. i'll be over here rolling large.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Just kidding, I do like the Omega design. It's nuts to me that it's supposed to be as long as an Impstar though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also dig the other Imperial destroyer:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm still pissed they never actually destroyed a star with one. WHY THE gently caress DID YOU NAME IT THAT THEN :mad:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

pfffft, yeah okay kid, spin around to make your gravity. i'll be over here rolling large.

super star destroyers are so cool despite being less effective than either Death Star

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Make sure you have a couple huge dodecahedral dome-towers that project shields over your entire ship. And you know, don't forget to make them protrude enticingly so that any opposing fighter craft might notice. It would be a real shame if they were suddenly destroyed, causing shields to unexpectedly go down on your massive capital ship.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm still pissed they never actually destroyed a star with one. WHY THE gently caress DID YOU NAME IT THAT THEN :mad:

they destroy the stars emotionally

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star surface fleet is the past, star naval aviation is where it's at

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011

Go BIGGER!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

nine-gear crow posted:

they are a destroyer (ship type) that sails among the stars (giant space gas/plasma balls)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How big is it compared to a whale

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sonderval posted:

Go BIGGER!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I approve of the giant pizza shaped spaceships of death

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Man those Earthforce ships would never be able to loving turn with that big ol' spinning mass.

The Dilgar must have been real pushovers if we beat them with that junk.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also dig the other Imperial destroyer:

extremely based.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tartan-class_patrol_cruiser
this is the best ship btw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Man those Earthforce ships would never be able to loving turn with that big ol' spinning mass.

The Dilgar must have been real pushovers if we beat them with that junk.

The Omega-class destroyers came out after the Minbari war, which was itself after the Dilgar war. Prior to the Omega the Earthforce crews just had to deal with extended periods of weightlessness.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

My bad. It's been a while since I've been immersed in the best star war.

I guess them Dilgar must have been awful baddies, then.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That's always been my read since Earth Alliance was pretty much brand new on the interstellar scene and yet somehow played a decisive role in knocking them down.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I need to see if there are any books or something that go into that history. We were basically told that they were space nazis, so I wonder if they had any military advantage at all over the league.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

whats the difference between a starfighter and a destroyer

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I didn't like the whitewashed Star Destroyers in Rogue One.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

A starfighter launches from a destroyer to blow up other destroyers and then return to its own destroyer but sometimes it's been blown up too so they just idk enter hyperspace on their own.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

whats the difference between a starfighter and a destroyer

there are three kinds of basic space opera spacecraft: jet plane, truck, and big boat. destroyers are the boats

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

What's the truck?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rudeboy Detective posted:

What's the truck?

the millennium falcon, eg

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the runabout is an example of a star trek star truck

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
for such a boxy ship, star destroyers are straight up sexy

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

for such a boxy ship, star destroyers are straight up sexy

theres a lot of real subtle design stuff in there.

a lot of the design suggests a seafaring ship, and the natural place to imagine the waterline is that “equator” line. but the wedge is asymmetrical around that line, so it looks like theres more beneath the water than above. that makes it seem immense and heavy, but also like it's kinda hiding under the water—like a shark or whale or submarine, w the stepped layers and tower thing acting like a dorsal fin or submarine periscope thing. those steps also help visually balance the asymmetry w/o detracting from the effect of it, which is cool

the top bit of the wedge is flatter than the bottom, which helps evoke an aircraft carrier. and ofc the whole thing is pointed right at anything it chases like a big stabbing spike

great design. hard to beat in terms of space opera nonsense that immediately visually demonstrates everything you need to understand it about it

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Sonderval posted:

Go BIGGER!
Well, if you insist.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sonderval posted:

Go BIGGER!

:lol: I was just going to post this. The Eclipse was so ridic in Dark Empire.

Also, star destroyers are fuckin awesome

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

At what point do you just strap a couple of huge thrusters to a planet and call it a day

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ruddiger posted:

At what point do you just strap a couple of huge thrusters to a planet and call it a day

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

ruddiger posted:

call it a death star, maybe

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These charts is like someone played Eve online and felt like the had to outdo it.

Or vice versa.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squizzle posted:

theres a lot of real subtle design stuff in there.

a lot of the design suggests a seafaring ship, and the natural place to imagine the waterline is that “equator” line. but the wedge is asymmetrical around that line, so it looks like theres more beneath the water than above. that makes it seem immense and heavy, but also like it's kinda hiding under the water—like a shark or whale or submarine, w the stepped layers and tower thing acting like a dorsal fin or submarine periscope thing. those steps also help visually balance the asymmetry w/o detracting from the effect of it, which is cool

the top bit of the wedge is flatter than the bottom, which helps evoke an aircraft carrier. and ofc the whole thing is pointed right at anything it chases like a big stabbing spike

great design. hard to beat in terms of space opera nonsense that immediately visually demonstrates everything you need to understand it about it

Since no one else commented, I enjoyed this post, thanks for writing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Elentor posted:

These charts is like someone played Eve online and felt like the had to outdo it.

Or vice versa.

Oneupmanship is a big problem in the EU.