Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Tell me about the sci fi you can remember but nobody ever talks about. If possible please try and reflect on why you think the fictional story wasn't as financially successful as George Lucas' Star Wars franchise.

Kevin J Anderson's Saga of Seven Suns

What is it:

Kevin J Anderson got pissed off or something, I'm guessing that somebody coughed on the subway when he mentioned he was a bigshot author and then implied that he wasn't as good as Tolkien or something. A saga of seven suns has it all, it has kings and queens struggling with being a puppet monarchy strangled by large corporate interests. It has weird libertarian propaganda. It has rape camps. It has bodyhorror bug-monsters that absorb you into their hivemind for their brood war. It has a hamfisted earth-wind-air-fire symbolism thing because gently caress George RR Martin made a ton of money too. Also a there's a robot revolution.

Why the series wasn't as sucessful as star wars:

For starters it's really long and unfocused. Also it isn't a movie yet. Instead of something accessible like having a group of characters sharing a goal and journey like incredibly financially successful author J RR Tolkien, Kevin J Anderson decides that our characters shouldn't actually meet until pretty much the last book during the very last battle. Even if you were to follow this series through all the way to the bitter preachy end you'd find that the big climax is mostly just that everyone decides to spontaneously stop being at war and team up to fight the bad guys at the exact right moment and also partway through the series the totally passive tree society gets a magic army that they just never bothered to tell anyone about or use for anything until the author needed some kinda asspull solution. Also the as of yet unmentioned microscopic magic bullshit water aliens apparently could have stopped the badguy aliens who scattered them throughout the cosmos aeons ago at any time if they just got somebody to introduce them into pretty much any gas giant planet so they could spread throughout the atmosphere and then do some never specified thing to render the aliens nonthreatening forever.

Favorite dumb sci fi slang: Shizz- It means poo poo in the future and when his pretend marines are using it while doing land exercises to prepare for their inevitable death in space-ship combat with the bad-guy aliens they are pretty much saying shizz all the time and it's like suddenly it's a TV censored eighties movie.

Edit- Ha I'm an IK now I can fix my terrible spelling mistakes in the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU