Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

And? You don't have to be a capitalist society to exploit people, pre-capitalist societies were probably even worse in this regard.

Also, though tangentially, do we even know if the trade federation are capitalists? We basically never hear them talk about trading; maybe their mission is to facilitate trade across interstellar distances at a cost that allows them and their massive armies of killer death robots to operate self-sufficiently?

E:vvvv no disagreement there.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He's certainly capitalist-coded.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Some Goon posted:

Also, though tangentially, do we even know if the trade federation are capitalists? We basically never hear them talk about trading; maybe their mission is to facilitate trade across interstellar distances at a cost that allows them and their massive armies of killer death robots to operate self-sufficiently?

Their initial grievance (GRIEVOUS) was born out of anger over taxation so I'm inclined to believe that's the case

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I would point out that the "heroes on both sides" is more setting, telling the audience about how the characters view their own factions, than some kind of command for the audience to accept

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Revenge of the Sith is a Where's Waldo of heroes and villains, I will not be moved on this point.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Did anybody see the last 8 minutes of the second episode of the disney plus gallery the mandalorian streaming television show? its about the prequels and it rules. also, no joke: as a kid my favourite star wars characters were the two pilots who get blown up at the very start of e1. why? Because their story was the most tragic.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Some Goon posted:

And? You don't have to be a capitalist society to exploit people, pre-capitalist societies were probably even worse in this regard.

Okay. I was just addressing this claim:

Bogus Adventure posted:

[Nute Gunray] helped bring down an evil capitalist empire, though...

He didn't do that. He did the opposite, turning it into something worse.

Lampsacus posted:

also, no joke: as a kid my favourite star wars characters were the two pilots who get blown up at the very start of e1. why? Because their story was the most tragic.

Speaking of Nute Gunray, that is Silas Carson ordering his own execution.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 30, 2020

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is Dooku aware that Palpatine is Sidious

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

elf help book posted:

Yes, hence why he looks so shocked when Palpatine gives him the 'Do It' and he tries to tell Obi-Wan about it during AotC even.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

elf help book posted:

Yeah, he flat out tells Obi-Wan as much in AotC without directly saying it or admitting that he's also a Sith

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
They Saved Grevious's Brain

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like Count Dooku, mostly because Christopher Lee has a lot of charisma, but he is hard to understand as a character from just how a large amount of his dialogue is intentionally misleading, so it's hard to know what his real motivations are.

Like he says that he left the Jedi because the Republic was corrupt and the Jedi couldn't see the Sith lord in their midst, but since he's working with that Sith lord, was that his real motivation? Did he leave because he was already recruited by Palpatine, or was he telling the truth about why he left and decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Why does he taunt Obi-Wan with the truth (aside from telling the audience), does he have his own grand plan to recruit Obi-Wan and doublecross Sideous?

I don't know if anywhere in the EU tried fleshing him out as a character. The Clone Wars series only ever had him acting authoritatively and unquestioningly obey his master. I did like the backstory they made for Grievous where he was some general in a war where the Republic screwed his people over, and when Dooku recruited him for the CIS, a bomb hit (that probably was planted by Separatists) and Dooku only kept him alive by using force lightning as a defibrillator before the medics came and eventually built Grievous his cyborg body.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like Count Dooku, mostly because Christopher Lee has a lot of charisma, but he is hard to understand as a character from just how a large amount of his dialogue is intentionally misleading, so it's hard to know what his real motivations are.

Like he says that he left the Jedi because the Republic was corrupt and the Jedi couldn't see the Sith lord in their midst, but since he's working with that Sith lord, was that his real motivation? Did he leave because he was already recruited by Palpatine, or was he telling the truth about why he left and decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Why does he taunt Obi-Wan with the truth (aside from telling the audience), does he have his own grand plan to recruit Obi-Wan and doublecross Sideous?

I don't know if anywhere in the EU tried fleshing him out as a character. The Clone Wars series only ever had him acting authoritatively and unquestioningly obey his master. I did like the backstory they made for Grievous where he was some general in a war where the Republic screwed his people over, and when Dooku recruited him for the CIS, a bomb hit (that probably was planted by Separatists) and Dooku only kept him alive by using force lightning as a defibrillator before the medics came and eventually built Grievous his cyborg body.

Dooku left the Jedi and joined Sidious with the obvious thought that he could betray and overthrow the Sith Lord. His plan might've been to recruit Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan makes it pretty clear that he's the same as the Jedi that Dooku left behind - blind. It's not that different to how Vader plots against Palpatine in the OT.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Random prequel stuff I like:

-Jimmy Smitts’ red corvette
-The rumble of Sebulba’s engines when they’re behind Anakin’s neck
-The way Captain Cody twirls his helmet when he gives Obi-Wan his lightsaber
-Poggle the Lesser’s voice
-Cleigg Lars monologuing like a character in The Searchers
-Mars Guo’s “RAWR”
-Otoh Gunga
-Qui Gon making Jar Jar pass out
-Jar Jar getting kicked in the crotch by a Pit Droid
-Gungan Bubble Tech
-Geonosian Bubble Tech
-Padme’s super retro (second) Episode 2 ship

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Horizon Burning posted:

Dooku left the Jedi and joined Sidious with the obvious thought that he could betray and overthrow the Sith Lord. His plan might've been to recruit Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan makes it pretty clear that he's the same as the Jedi that Dooku left behind - blind. It's not that different to how Vader plots against Palpatine in the OT.

He sounds him out on the basis of him having been Qui-gon's apprentice, and Qui-gon would totally have taken that bait.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

-Padme’s super retro (second) Episode 2 ship

There's something I love about seeing those beautiful chrome yachts parked in the middle of the loving desert.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did like the backstory they made for Grievous where he was some general in a war where the Republic screwed his people over, and when Dooku recruited him for the CIS, a bomb hit (that probably was planted by Separatists) and Dooku only kept him alive by using force lightning as a defibrillator before the medics came and eventually built Grievous his cyborg body.

In the Clone Wars cartoon they retcon this old EU backstory for Grievous by having his assistant droid talk about him volunteering for "improvements", and I quite like the implication that he kept grafting on new cyborg bits to make himself a better Jedi killer.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If he wanted to be a better Jedi killer then he'd have replaced his arms with .50cal machine guns

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I like the idea that he additioned his biological eyes from a slain jedi enemy. But, fine, I understand the headcannon he started human, the droid parts being a collection.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lampsacus posted:

I would go as far as to say the prequels are the best star wars films, with perhaps the exception of Rogue 1. They are funny, chill and wise. Again, teens today who werent even alive when they came out are making memes about them. There is literally a massive meme subculture built around them. And its not because the movies are ironically good - its because they are iconically good.
The prequels are iconically good.

Anecdotally but I'm 26 and loads of people my age make and share the poo poo out of prequel memes. People over thirty do. My teenaged cousins give about as much of a gently caress about the prequels as they do about Harry Potter or LotR, ie, very little. Now, Fantastic Beasts and Reylo, otoh

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
they still aren't good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

But enough about your posting

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Roth posted:

But enough about your posting

what did you think i was talking about

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

you know a guy who never made a bad post? That's right, George RR Lucas.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

you know a guy who never made a bad post? That's right, George RR Lucas.

he focused all his efforts on ugly bad CG, you have to respect the dedication

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i assume josh04 was just being silly but apparently lucas claims he gave up on using the internet after the phantom menace

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cease to Hope posted:

i assume josh04 was just being silly but apparently lucas claims he gave up on using the internet after the phantom menace

Based

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Horizon Burning posted:

When I think about "things that could have made the Prequels amazing," my very first thought is always about the scene where Dooku confronts an imprisoned Obi-Wan, laments how he could use Qui-Gon's help, and tells him the unvarnished truth: a Sith Lord named Darth Sidious controls the Republic.

Obi-Wan dismisses everything Dooku says out of hand because he already overheard him promising Gunray to deliver Padme's head. Imagine the story that could have been told if Obi-Wan had believed him, if we never knew that Count Dooku, apprentice of Yoda, Teacher of Qui-Gon, Leader of the Seperatists, was in fact Darth Tyrannus until a crucial turn in the story.

Imagine Obi-wan following in his master's footsteps as the outsider holding onto an uncorrupted sense of right and wrong in a corrupt world, knowing that the Jedi Council and his own apprentice are operating at the behest of a Sith but also knowing that the only way he can prove it and stop the Clone Wars is through treason, by working WITH the leader of the Separatists to expose him and foil the web of schemes he is weaving under the cover of the war. Imagine the moment when Obi-Wan learns he's been a puppet of the Sith Lord's apprentice all along, used as a weapon in his efforts to destroy his own master and usurp him, led closer to the Dark Side with every operation and compromise he needed to make for the ostensible Greater Good.

It would not have been hard to make the Prequels not-garbage, really.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SlothfulCobra posted:

it's hard to know what his real motivations are.

Like he says that he left the Jedi because the Republic was corrupt and the Jedi couldn't see the Sith lord in their midst,

I mean

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dooku wanted to be on the winning side and get real ultimate power.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

But there are no ninjas in star wars?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sanguinia posted:

When I think about "things that could have made the Prequels amazing," my very first thought is always about the scene where Dooku confronts an imprisoned Obi-Wan, laments how he could use Qui-Gon's help, and tells him the unvarnished truth: a Sith Lord named Darth Sidious controls the Republic.

Obi-Wan dismisses everything Dooku says out of hand because he already overheard him promising Gunray to deliver Padme's head. Imagine the story that could have been told if Obi-Wan had believed him, if we never knew that Count Dooku, apprentice of Yoda, Teacher of Qui-Gon, Leader of the Seperatists, was in fact Darth Tyrannus until a crucial turn in the story.

Imagine Obi-wan following in his master's footsteps as the outsider holding onto an uncorrupted sense of right and wrong in a corrupt world, knowing that the Jedi Council and his own apprentice are operating at the behest of a Sith but also knowing that the only way he can prove it and stop the Clone Wars is through treason, by working WITH the leader of the Separatists to expose him and foil the web of schemes he is weaving under the cover of the war. Imagine the moment when Obi-Wan learns he's been a puppet of the Sith Lord's apprentice all along, used as a weapon in his efforts to destroy his own master and usurp him, led closer to the Dark Side with every operation and compromise he needed to make for the ostensible Greater Good.

It would not have been hard to make the Prequels not-garbage, really.

There is a core of a really good idea at the heart of the prequels. But it is simply buried underneath all the crap action scenes and set pieces and bad character development and it isn't given a chance to actually develop. With a different director and a round of script rewrites I think the prequels could have been good rather than what they are, which is bizarrely interesting failures. I feel the same way about The Last Jedi actually.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I agree with the thread title that it is not difficult to make the prequels not garbage. In fact you can do nothing at all and succeed

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zoran posted:

I agree with the thread title that it is not difficult to make the prequels not garbage. In fact you can do nothing at all and succeed

This is very true. If the prequels had never been made, they would have been better than what we got.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

CainFortea posted:

This is very true. If the prequels had never been made, they would have been better than what we got.

:emptyquote:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Prequels good, so what.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It would have been better if George had opted to make no star wars movies at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

It would have been better if George had opted to make no star wars movies at all

Perhaps, but we live in a post-Star Wars world. We must find ways to cope with that. I find memes and dumb gifs to be most effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GHpnZ6YjiU