Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<begins writing article longer than the collected works of shakespeare on wookiepedia about "Force Parroting">

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The podrace in Phantom Menace is better in a lot of ways than the jabba's palace sequence. There is finally some decent coverage of the weird monster suits. The super extended version has some loopy jokes. I watched jedi the other day and was appalled at how little jabba there actually was. There should have been 20 minutes more and 20 less mon mothma or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The prequels are better than Rise of Skywalker because I actually watched them, unlike Rise of Skywalker even though I made a thread saying I was going to

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

She just got out of the hospital.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
anyone want to argue about whether the prequels are good or bad, just to feel alive

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Ratts Tyerell's wife and kids were there to watch him get all blowed up and die. That's good.

But it's also good that they cut that out because come ahn, don't bullshit me, that's just too mean.

As we see here both proposition A and B imply that the movie is good, thus by facts and/or logic we have proven that the prequels, or at the least one such, are good.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
RRREAAARRRGH!
:kingsley:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I like that Lucas wanted to point out that random death race mooks have families, too bad it got cut

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Was that some of the stuff added back into the DVD? Episode 1 was interesting in that they finished the VFX on all the deleted scenes specifically for the bonus features, which is super rare for stuff that they're not actually going to put in the movie.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 12, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Cease to Hope posted:

anyone want to argue about whether the prequels are good or bad, just to feel alive

They're bad but unlike the sequels they have a sort of charming earnestness to them, like a child's drawings

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Say what you will about the Prequels, but the memes from them have staying power. From the TrumpLOL thread courtesy of Ben Shapiro not understanding how the vagina works:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Say what you will about the Prequels

okay

the prequels are bad

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
They are bad from a certain point of view.

The :wrong: point of view

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

OT is life. Prequels are hometown.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think I speak for everyone, America, the World, the aliens we beam movies to out in space, when I say the prequels are good. I think I can say this without fear of contadiction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FunkyAl posted:

I think I speak for everyone, America, the World, the aliens we beam movies to out in space, when I say the prequels are good. I think I can say this without fear of contadiction.

Somewhere, a race of aliens that look broadly like the trade federation aliens watch the broadcasts and, offended by the coincidentally racist portrayal of their president, a wrinkly rear end old man in a cloak that looks that way because of a rare condition, prepare for war with these alien jedis

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FunkyAl posted:

This is an empty quote.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

This is an empty quote.

for indeed, it is impossible to make any argument that the prequels are good

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

*slams 286 pages of proof down on the judge's desk*

Your HONOUR,

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

*slams 286 pages of proof down on the judge's desk*

Your HONOUR, the prequels SUCK rear end

ftfy

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

But what do we mean when we say "sucking rear end", is bad?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

But what do we mean when we say "sucking rear end", is bad?

I think the real question is whether they suck an objective rear end.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

But is rear end not often our objective? Much to think on, there is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I saw a video called LOTR with Lightsabres, it reminded me that the soundtrack from Revenge of the Sith is insanely good. That opening sequence in particular has both banging drums, a very good song, and undoubtedly the best space scene in Star Wars.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cease to Hope posted:

I think the real question is whether they suck an objective rear end.

Or a literal rear end, such as an earth donkey

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

A donkey walked into me while I was filming once, that did suck.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what's the over/under on the new series Disney is making trying to connect itself to the prequels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SRQ posted:

what's the over/under on the new series Disney is making trying to connect itself to the prequels.

2.5 (thats not how over under works. You just want regular odds)

Given they already did a Padme thing its not out of the question, but after getting burned on the sequels I think Disney will stay in safe spaces of the OT forever

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

So I saw a video called LOTR with Lightsabres, it reminded me that the soundtrack from Revenge of the Sith is insanely good. That opening sequence in particular has both banging drums, a very good song, and undoubtedly the best space scene in Star Wars.

John Williams is a living legend.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SRQ posted:

Depends on how good Dave Filoni is at corporate politics, I think

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Whether or not any new movies reference the prequels is going to depend on Disney balancing two factors. The prequels are popular with certain people, especially among younger viewers, so there is reason they might want to tap into that. But the prequels are also controversial. Disney hates controversy. So they aren't likely to make something centered around the prequels, but they might reference them occasionally to mine gen z nostalgia.

But here's the thing, whatever movies they end up making are almost certainly going to be more like the prequels than the OT. This is just because most modern action movies are based on the same formula the prequels are. Now, the prequels do some weird things with that formula, but they are essentially some of the forerunners of the modern big budget cgi action movies.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Disney loves controversy, it's what they sold the last jedi on

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

John Williams is a living legend.

Imo he dropped. The ball on the sequels and phoned them in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SRQ posted:

Imo he dropped. The ball on the sequels and phoned them in

I think he knew how poo poo they would be.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FunkyAl posted:

Disney loves controversy, it's what they sold the last jedi on

No, Disney likes pretending to be the good guys. They had a sexist and racist backlash against the ST, and they milked how they were being progressive and good for all it was worth. It would be very hard for Disney to do the same with the prequels, because there is no moral dimension to the argument over the prequels. Just an argument over whether they are good or not.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
There's the racist stuff in TPM, but the problem points the other way. They could lean into being the company of reviving old-timey film racism, but it doesn't strike me as super likely, with the prequel EU stuff being Filoni's baby and Disney's corporate aversion to bad PR.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cease to Hope posted:

There's the racist stuff in TPM, but the problem points the other way. They could lean into being the company of reviving old-timey film racism, but it doesn't strike me as super likely, with the prequel EU stuff being Filoni's baby and Disney's corporate aversion to bad PR.

I mean Disney memory holed Song of the South because they didn't want to have an awkward conversation about their company's history. Though to be fair, that more has to do with the fact that Song of the South is so boring that Disney probably won't be able to make much money off of it anymore. There is still profit to be mined from the prequels. Also because the racist caricatures are aliens they have just enough deniability to say it isn't actually racist.

But look at Tomorrowland. You remember the movie Tomorrowland? Of course you don't. It failed, so Disney made it go away. Now the prequels were more commercially successful than Tomorrowland, but many people regard them as failures. And Disney doesn't like being associated with failure. But not having something out there that caters to prequel fans is also clearly leaving money on the table. Disney botched the roll out of Nu-Star Wars, so now they are going to spend a lot of time focus grouping a solution that is going to ultimately please no one.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Btw Disney never stopped with the stereotyping/caricatures, they're just using 'acceptable' or unnoticed ones

Plus old timey stuff like Peter pan and the 3 cabaleros are still up on their platforms afaik and are about as problematic as song of the south is, but the only the latter's opposition is at high enough levels for them to worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Nobody's defending Disney. The point is that the ways the prequels are controversial are not ways that Disney is prone to lean into, unlike the way TLJ was controversial. They aren't going to lean into "Star Wars but Ed Wood" nor are they going to lean into "Star Wars, now with even more winky-wink racism."