Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

HE WAS 900 YEARS OLD

So y'all will defend the Special Editions with the same vigor I assume

The Republic was around for thousands and thousands of years. Yoda was a peacetime general who sat around teaching padawans for centuries, then went and sought glory (and got chumped) the first chance he got.

E: holy poo poo didn’t realize this thread was already 13 pages. The prequels are still the most interesting thing about this franchise.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Imagine hating the throne room fight in Return or the Bespin fight in Empire because the lightsabers didn’t light up the scenery.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

https://youtu.be/dP84r385kLc

cool and spectacular were not words that came to my mind watching this but okay

There’s at least a half a dozen new and unique designs in this clip that are leaps and bounds more original than anything in the sequel trilogy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

JJ Abrams: “screw screenwriting, check out this loving lighting.”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tulip posted:

The prequels are amazing because they're such stark evidence that an annoying character is worse than a murderer. Anakin does like two school shootings and it's barely memorable because you just want to give him a swirlie so bad.

It says a lot about the typical goony prequel detractor that they call Anakin names like “dweeb” and “whiny” and want to give him “swirlies” like a bunch of wannabe bullies who feel empowered by projecting their insecurities onto a fictional character.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Other big change I'd make would be have all aliens in TPM speak "Alien With Subtitles" instead of "Wildly Racist Patois"

The white washing of alien accents in the Mandalorian is way more racist, complete with the white guy making fun of that “wildly racist patois” but it’s played for laughs because it’s okay to make fun of people you want to otherize for superficial reasons I guess.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 29, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Special Editions are good and they pull the original trilogy out of its visual limitations due to the 70s era fx and gives them an air of modernity so they aren’t as removed from the newer episodes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

So no takers here

Duel of the fates, by your own admission

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

a.lo posted:

loving the prequels loving renaissance happening right now and its definitely influenced by the release of the sequels, but i think its got more to do with the fact that people who were kids when they came out (like me) are now adults, and its the same passion that seventies kids have for the og trilogy, which until this point has been the status quo. this also means in the future we’re likely to have something similar with the sequels, where people who grew up with them come full force with appreciation and interpretation

The franchise movie sphere is a bit more cluttered than it was in the 70s/80s and early 2000s, and now that it’s under the Disney banner, it will more than likely be referred to as “just another Disney franchise” whereas before the buyout, Star Wars was a institution in of itself. Now it’s nothing but celeb cameos and secret unlockable characters in Kingdom Hearts (or whatever other property Disney wants to stick them in).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The PT is good because it’s an indictment on olds who like to use the phrase “in the good ole days” because we constantly rewrite our brutally cutthroat capitalist history with white washing and fairytales. The Prequel Trilogy shows that even in times of peace, the capitalist system rots from within because the motive of profit turns a blind eye to the suffering of those being exploited by that system, which is just an extension of the themes that were already present in the original trilogy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Phantom Menace is Episode 1, Chapter 4, in that it’s the 1st episode canonically of the Star Wars story, but it’s the 4th chapter released of the Star Wars saga.

It’s important in that even tho “canonically” Episode I takes place before Episode IV-VI, it’s still a thematic sequel to those films, to further illustrate the cyclical nature of the capitalist society being depicted. Luke and Leia were never going to free the slaves, they only ever wanted to restore the glory of the republic, which we’re shown is a myth.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 29, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

The separatists were actively planning to attack the republic hours before the battle of geonosis. This "the separatists were totally peaceful" narrative doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.

https://youtu.be/4MdUrh7iZMU

This is the excuse they give in Starship Troopers too.

Not a coincidence that both are bug like races either.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

Yes, George Lucas did a very poor job of laying out his characters' motivations in the prequels, to the point where he seemed to be arguing that the invasion of Iraq was justifiable as a preemptive strike. I agree wholeheartedly.

The preemptive strike being “justified” is what leads to the establishment of palpatine’s power, so congratulations on being complicit to that ideology if that’s what you got out of it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Metapod posted:

I mean when you have no argument you have to resort to making yourself look like a moron. Cant just say I'm wrong because reasons

This is very self reflective of you and I applaud your bravery in sharing your insecurities.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

look euphronius is just asking questions here

Questions that have yet to be answered coherently.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The nemoidians are so classic we’re still talking about them decades later.

Meanwhile I couldn’t name a new alien race in the ST, outside of porgs, which don’t really count.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

cams posted:

you mean those super racist chinese aliens?

Because having an accent means you’re a walking racist billboard and deserve ridicule.

You’ll love Bill Burr’s character in the Mandalorian.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Your simplistic and bad faith re-interpretation of the complaints about the PT CGI shows that this is not a reasonable claim to objectivity.

Also just lol if you think the PT CGI was better than the Jurassic Park stuff that was done years before.

A dinosaur literally blips off the screen in Jurassic Park.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CainFortea posted:

No, we have. In this thread. Repeatedly.

The response is "because it was ground breaking it doesn't have to be good"

so lol at treating people who ignore complaints in bad faith as serious. :D

“It’s bad because it looks fake”

*is corrected that it’s a real life model or background*

“It’s bad because it looks fake”

And it goes on like that for 50 60(!) pages.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 31, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The best was when someone in one of the old Star Wars threads wouldn’t stop comparing the prequels to a PlayStation game until someone finally did 1:1 comparisons of both and it really showed off how gorgeous some of the shots in the prequel trilogy are.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sponges posted:

That’s not treason

Arresting and condemning a high ranking diplomat with no due cause and outside of legal jurisdiction is an aggressive act of crippling the established government and working outside of the established law they’re sworn to uphold.

It’s like the bay of pigs, complete with the Jedi getting caught with their pants down and getting massacred as a result.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CainFortea posted:

What was a real life model or background?

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

https://makezine.com/2015/10/07/the-surprising-practical-effects-of-the-star-wars-prequels/

https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-prequels-miniatures/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sponges posted:

I guess by some strict black and white view of the law, sure it’s treason. But he was a Sith Lord who finagled his way into power through underhanded means. He controlled virtually the entire Republic. No way was he being brought to justice

Once again prequel defenders out themselves as quasi-fascists.

Listen, I want a coup to oust trump as much as the next guy, I’m just not going to go around and say it’s not illegal or treasonous to the current governing body, which I should remind you has always been corrupt and murderous, democratic or republican led.

So what exactly are we trying to do with our coup? Do we want to reestablish the old broken republic (Jedi/liberal Democrats), or do we want a real revolution that will welcome lasting change (Vader/Bernie)?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sponges posted:

I just don’t get this idea that the Republic and the Empire are more or less the same. It makes the series deeply cynical. The prequel Jedi are fighting for a corrupt system, Luke and co. are fighting to replace said corrupt system. It’s all hosed and terrible so who cares about any of these characters? They’re all idiots.

George Lucas grew up during the Vietnam war, he absolutely believes we’re governed by dangerous idiots.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sponges posted:

That’s fair.

I dislike the prequels even more after this discussion.

They hold a mirror up to our society which many don’t like. Some see the humor in that and some are revolted at the sincerity of its truth. It’s why there’s space racism towards gungans in the Mandalorian and it’s played for laughs.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Okay so which effect are you claiming that I said was CGI, was told it wasn't CGI, and I ignored and said it was CGI?

You tell me, your argument never got passed “they look bad and fake” without further elaboration. You’ve done this for 50+ pages. All of your posts are just a variation of your initial statement.

CainFortea posted:

Lots of people in this thread. When pointing out that the CGI and design in the PT were loving awful, the response by a number of people were "That's okay though, because it was ~groundbreaking~"

Your posts are as redundant as the sequel trilogy, meanwhile people are still finding new things to remark upon in still frames from the prequels.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 31, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CainFortea posted:

So if there was no further elaboration, which effect are you talking about? You seem to have a specific one in mind to counter the one I (never) specifically was talking about.

I dunno, you were the one saying I'm ignoring some info. Please tell me what i'm ignoring so I can refute it directly.

This is where I point to my other post you just quoted and you dance around it for another 60 pages.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I missed that they were complaining about the pod race, objectively one of the best set pieces of the entire saga, and which shows up not only in aotc, but in countless other sw-related media, and is responsible for one of the greatest Star Wars games ever made.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

i was laughing so hard at the idea of bringing up the star-wars-is-about-antirobot-racism stuff here that i literally fell out of my chair

that's my story thanks for listening prequeldome

Star Wars has always been about institutionalized classism, so why would it be laughable that racism is a part of that?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

not today, satan

Considering you can laugh at the idea of racism while not commenting on it directly already says a lot about your stance.

Luckily George Lucas isn’t such a coward in his thoughts. Here’s a clip with him and Robin Williams addressing accents and why people immediately think “racism” when they hear something they’re not used to. Hint: it goes back to the institutionalized coding dictated by the majority, which is why no one cares when people with natural accents (Boyega, Ridley, N’yongo) are forces to speak with garish American accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMp5Zb2xYO0

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He used his billions of dollars to build affordable housing, pissing in the face of the very institutions that suppress the working class, so yeah?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Lol come back to Snyderdome, Cease, we miss you

I forgot he got laughed out of the snyderdome thread when he got caught making up poo poo about Yojimbo, and got laughed out of some other Star Wars thread when he was complaining about scenes that weren’t even in the movie.

Talk about staying on brand.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I only remember because you were gaslighting the thread like crazy about those scenes you hated until I pulled up the video clip and then you admitted you were going off of some script you found online and didn’t remember the scene at all. Your stupidity is very memorable.

Also, you called Sanjuro a soldier, which is just lol.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Quit making poo poo up and I won’t have to call you out on it!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

I unironically want to want to watch a movie with themes.

What’s a good one

Spaceballs

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Roth posted:

Is the Snyderdome thread this ridiculous? I'm going to have to start reading that one too.

It’s worth it just for Cease’s weird rear end synopsis on Yojimbo that was clearly gleaned off of pop culture osmosis.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

"actually, qui-gon is a villain" is a galaxy brain take i've never encountered in the wild outside these forums fwiw

How do you feel about Qui Gon’s racism towards Jar Jar?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Your subjective response to the objective fact that he laughed seems weird.

It’s weird to pretend that laughter isn’t sometimes used as a defense mechanism for someone when they’re presented with something that’s too over the top for them to register as real. I heard people nervous laughing during the ghetto purges in Schindler’s List, does that mean Spielberg failed as a director and the movie is a laugh riot? People laughed in the theater when Reagan yells for Jesus to gently caress her in the Exorcist, does that mean Friedkin set out to make a screwball comedy?

Star Wars is still at it’s heart a morality tale for children, of course it’s going to use bombastic storytelling and flowery prose, who gives a poo poo if some sweaty goon laughed at it? Laughter doesn’t diminish intent.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Sheev is the only one in Star Wars who isn't a total dumbass

At least until Episode IX. He should’ve got an MRI after taking a header in that chasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

By crushing her trachea with his mind

The medical droid doesn’t list a crushed trachea in their diagnosis. It explicitly says that Padme dies because she wants to die. She committed suicide.