Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't even like the prequels but lol at the idea that prequel-likers are just "memeing" when like 90% of any prequel complaints on the internet are just badly recycled RLM catchphrases

They haven't even watched them since they got the dvds after the theatrical release. For evidence, I present every post in this thread saying how great the movie was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

The prequels were always good here is an article from 2002 which says the same true things people still say today.

The people who disliked them were film critics (not Ebert), and idiot original trilogy fans whose most insightful critique was that "George Lucas raped our childhood!!!". You have done that yourself.

I mean, you can actually skip one of the prequel movies entirely and it makes zero impact on the series suggests that maybe there's more to people not liking the prequels than being grognards.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zoran posted:

is this the “you can skip tpm” thing? lmao

Yes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cuntman.net posted:

you can skip any movie in the series

While technically true, there'd be a lot more confusion on the viewers part. Everything brought up in Ep1 is either never mentioned again, or has enough exposition to fill the viewer in if they never saw it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Poster 1: I like movies :)
Poster 2: I don't like movies :(
Poster 1: How? X Y and Z worked well given the story being told. :)
Poster 2: Movies does X Y and Z badly and I did not enjoy it. :(
Poster 1: nani?!!! :O

There, ftfy

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The prequels managed to turn Samuel L Jackson into a 2d cutout.

They're almost as bad as After Earth.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cuntman.net posted:

anime is good

Ladies and gentlemen, the defense rests.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pick posted:

Haha if you clone him he's Booba Fett

Following the examples from the EU, it would be Buuba Fett

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zoran posted:

The point is that someone had to push the boundaries.

Not really.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

What's the worst casting in the prequels?

Lucas as director.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Peachfart posted:

So, wait. People other than insufferable click bait bloggers being paid by Disney actually liked the prequels? lol

No, just Extremely Online people like to say they do so they can argue about star wars, which is the thing they're actually doing for fun. No one actually watches them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

I’m also arguing about Star Wars for fun

That's fine. I didn't judge the desire to do so, just pointing out the prequel defenders are using it as a false platform to do so. They enjoy watching the good star wars movies just like we do.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

In what way did that symbol look like a bird

It's literally called "Starbird"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also, the wikipedia entry for the rebel alliance is fuckin weird. Real wiki not star wars wiki.

"Technologies: pressurized rooms, medical droids"
and that's it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

Google's telling me it got that name in 2015, so I'ma call that a retcon.

Us: It's obviously a bird
You, a fool: In what way does this shape that has wings have anything to do with birds?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What even are wings? Do they really exist?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

In what possible way does that icon look like a gear? It looks nothing at all like a cog or anything at all in any way.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

What is your criteria for bad ?

Things that aren't good. Obviously.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea everyone, slave armies are good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

How did they decide which clones got to be officers and such

Chance Cubes

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Because it's weird how neither of the droids go "Skywalker? heyyyyy wait a minute..."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Then they aren't the same droids. They may have the same parts, but that's not 3po and r2

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

It’s not that hard to create biological life.

Idiots do it every day.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

I agree he could have made a movie that you would have liked

Considering that the OT was only good because he lucked into it, and didn't have enough gumption and resources to overrule all the people shouting down his worst ideas, I very much doubt he could have made them good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Did you like Indiana Jones and the last crusade

Everyone likes that

Sure did. You'll also note that someone else directed it, AND someone else did the screenplay.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Ok so you like one movie he made

He didn't make it. So, well, there's that then.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

He did tho

I’m looking at Wikipedia right now !!! (In another tab)

nah you aint.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well, he didn't produce it, didn't direct it, and didn't write the screen play. Please show me where it says he did and i'll totally retract my statements.

oh wait, you can't cause even you know you're full of it!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also it's really funny how you're super duper trying to prove he made The Last Crusade to show that he can make a good movie and ignoring the OT which he actually made and were good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, lets bring it all back to the original point of this, the dumbest of conversations.

The OT were only good because he wasn't some kind of Movie Master and couldn't just ignore everyone shouting down his terrible ideas. As proof, lets look at the remasters of the OT, where nearly every change he makes is terrible. Also proof, the PT are him going full stupid into what he thinks are good ideas, and they're all terrible.

He was involved in other movies that were good, but he didn't run the whole show. He had better directors, better producers, and better writers to reign in his dumb poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

No I’m trying to show that he can make movies the poster likes

I don’t need to prove he can make good movies that is obvious as you mention

"I'm trying to show that he can make movies the poster likes, but I'm not going to reference the OT which the poster likes for ~reasons~"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

who said this dumb poo poo or is it just a really dumb strawman?

Lots of people in this thread. When pointing out that the CGI and design in the PT were loving awful, the response by a number of people were "That's okay though, because it was ~groundbreaking~"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

"The CGI was groundbreaking for the time" is not an equivalent statement to "George Lucas is a secret genius auteur who made the Prequel lovely on purpose" by basically any stretch

It is tho because he had the option to NOT try to do groundbreaking awful CGI and just go with stuff that looked better.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

It's not at all don't be purposely dumb as poo poo

It absolutely is. Sorry about you are unable to realize what agency is for normal people.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Right yoda was wrong before

It’s a character arc

Which are good to have !!

Okay, but we're talking about the story as told to the viewer.

Before the PT, the Force was this mystical wonderous ability.

After the PT, it's apparently Space Thetans.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

The PT happens before the OT

I know sometimes it’s hard to keep track (there are so many movies !) so you can number them with ordinals :
Episode 1: 1
Episode 2: 2
Episode 3: 3 and so on

Now you can know when the movie takes place in a series

Ie 4 is between 3 and 5

I get that this is confusing, since the numbers are all out of order, but the OT was released before the PT. So a lot of folks watched the OT before the PT.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

As our good friend SMG says, the prequels are sequels to the original films

Who is SMG? I know posters by their Avs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Release order is the best way to view these. The story isn't told entirely in chronological order. That's what a prequel is.

I like the machette order because you just skip Ep1

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

I like the order where I don't watch them at all and instead watch the good movies, that are enjoyable to me

I had a friend who hadn't seen ANY star wars and wanted to watch them all, I managed to convince her to skip Ep1 and do the machette order and she had a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Was waiting for the thread to get around to “racist stereotypes”

We pretty much started there, but Bongo Bill just apparently prefers to ignore any post that has any criticism of the movies in question.