Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Farscspe was the best star war imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Someone referee to it as "a BDSM au fanfiction for a more respectable sci-fi series that doesn't exist"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

one inviolable rule of farscape that my friends and i noticed back when watching through it is at some point in every episode somebody is tripping completely out of their mind, whether though drugs or poison or psychic alien or dimensional rifts or whatever

cut to slow motion low framerate shot with afflicted character swaying back and forth and looking bewildered while the ship showers sparks on them from damage

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pick posted:

Someone referee to it as "a BDSM au fanfiction for a more respectable sci-fi series that doesn't exist"

harsh but fair

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

alnilam posted:

one inviolable rule of farscape that my friends and i noticed back when watching through it is at some point in every episode somebody is tripping completely out of their mind,

Yah it’s the writers

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Someone elsewhere in the forums once said that Crichton was unique among scifi characters in that he "weaponized his PTSD" after the aurora chair and i thought that was a pretty interesting way to look at it. Like a lot of his success comes from the borderline crazy, blase, casual, don't care if i die bc I've been through worse, way he approaches any situation.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

skasion posted:

Yah it’s the writers

i don't doubt it one bit

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I did like it though. Pilot!!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

[Dargoishly] PILOT, gas thread and ban op NOW!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

One time they landed on a graveyard planet (like all space travel shows, every whole planet has one singular biome and purpose) and rygel immediately starts grave robbing and he finds a huge corpse worm of unknown origin and says "Bonus!" and grabs and eats it. This is probably the seminal scene in the entire series

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

dude i fuckin love farscape

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rockne-s-obannon-on-defia_b_3738323

Rockne O'Bannon posted:

The new network president “called me in and said, ‘Just make it as weird as you can, because I just don’t want a kids show,’” O’Bannon recollects. “The greatest words I’ve ever heard were, ‘Just make it as weird as you can.’

Farscape is good and fun and died too soon.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I love how they cloned Creighton and kept both for an entire season instead of a single episode.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I like that it doesn't take itself very seriously

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Universe Master posted:

I love how they cloned Creighton and kept both for an entire season instead of a single episode.

Yeah it was a fun way to allow diverging adventures for a while without leaving him out

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The show got poo poo on by some scif-fy fabs at the time for using puppets, but I was like have you even watched Empire, bro?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Puppets and physical effects have withstood the test of time imo and are still better, or at least more enjoyable, than CGI

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

alnilam posted:

Puppets and physical effects have withstood the test of time imo and are still better, or at least more enjoyable, than CGI

Yeah, just watched Tremors and that's true

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Pick posted:

Yeah, just watched Tremors and that's true

the fact that farscape was replaced by a tremors tv show on the sci-fi lineup is just, wow.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

It was pretty cool, the sci-fi channel had Sliders and Farscape back to back on Friday nights. On my senior prom night I watched them instead of going, but then had to describe the episodes in English class when we were asked to write about our prom night.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

alnilam posted:

Farscspe was the best star war imo

i have used science and law and all the arts of humankind and can confirm this

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

alnilam posted:

Someone elsewhere in the forums once said that Crichton was unique among scifi characters in that he "weaponized his PTSD" after the aurora chair and i thought that was a pretty interesting way to look at it. Like a lot of his success comes from the borderline crazy, blase, casual, don't care if i die bc I've been through worse, way he approaches any situation.

i liked that the show explored the cultures of its space-peoples and never showed any of them using fiction for entertainment. there were religious stories and myths and histories and maybe a teaching story here and there, but no pop-culture fiction

except for the poo poo crichton was saying all the time!!

humans were physically unimpressive and did not have the technology to do gently caress-all, but crichton kept up with everyone because he had cultural knowledge to give him context, and metaphors, and even genre tropes to process the mad cosmos around them. centuries of human storytelling were crichton’s alien superpower. it ties in with him being the social glue for the gang: humans value community just because people are :krad: and we will try to get along and entertain one another, just for the hell of it. humans in farscape are morons, but we are storytelling, play-staging, cartoon-animating morons and that is both a source of strength, and an outgrowth of our other social strengths

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pick posted:

I've never seen far scape but I feel like this could apply to a lot of / perhaps even most sci fi.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Squizzle posted:

i liked that the show explored the cultures of its space-peoples and never showed any of them using fiction for entertainment. there were religious stories and myths and histories and maybe a teaching story here and there, but no pop-culture fiction

except for the poo poo crichton was saying all the time!!

humans were physically unimpressive and did not have the technology to do gently caress-all, but crichton kept up with everyone because he had cultural knowledge to give him context, and metaphors, and even genre tropes to process the mad cosmos around them. centuries of human storytelling were crichton’s alien superpower. it ties in with him being the social glue for the gang: humans value community just because people are :krad: and we will try to get along and entertain one another, just for the hell of it. humans in farscape are morons, but we are storytelling, play-staging, cartoon-animating morons and that is both a source of strength, and an outgrowth of our other social strengths

I like this post as well. it's Crichton's whole comedic character bit but also his greatest strength

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It was good and then the show got better and then it was cancelled for TREMORS THE TELEVISION SHOW.

The point of this post is gently caress SCI FI CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also if you rewatch the series skip season one because........ there are some really lovely episodes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Also if you rewatch the series skip season one because........ there are some really lovely episodes.

There are but also some good ones. Season 1 is a land of contrasts,

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been wanting to watch this and Babylon 5 for a while. Are they streaming anywhere?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think you can still watch Babylon five on Amazon prime for free

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

both are on amazon prime.

alnilam posted:

There are but also some good ones. Season 1 is a land of contrasts,

Season 1 introduces a lot too. And even the bad is still pretty good.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

both are on amazon prime.

Season 1 introduces a lot too. And even the bad is still pretty good.

Yeah if you don't remember it well or have never seen it you really need to watch S1 to get (re)acquainted with the main story setup if nothing else

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Shout out to my man Wayne Pygram for his memorable acting. Scorpy's weird, calm, stilted badguy diction is the best. Especially when he's harvey and doing goofy stuff.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pick posted:

this is slander. it is character driven space adventure!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xjXMDUTuBY

look at all of that character interaction

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

here to do the only good sci fi show/movie posting. farscape. it's farscape

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Fargate SG-1: The Next Generation

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Reene posted:

here to do the only good sci fi show/movie posting. farscape. it's farscape

i liked that they had already used the name leviathan for the space creature the main characters lived in, when they realized that they needed a space monster waaaay bigger. so they went with “budong” (“immoveable”, a chinese name/translation of acala) which i thought genuinely clever and made me laugh a lil bit

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

I've never seen far scape but I feel like this could apply to a lot of / perhaps even most sci fi.

Farscape is like Guardians of the Galaxy, if it were made by the Henson workshop.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The only weirder show I've seen is Lexx (also a good show)

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Squizzle posted:

i liked that they had already used the name leviathan for the space creature the main characters lived in, when they realized that they needed a space monster waaaay bigger. so they went with “budong” (“immoveable”, a chinese name/translation of acala) which i thought genuinely clever and made me laugh a lil bit

I never knew that. That's cool.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The only weirder show I've seen is Lexx (also a good show)

Farscape is horny on an alt in private mode. Lexx is unrepentant horny on main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ty manifisto