Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s definitely suspicious as is almost everything about Joss Whedon now I think about it.

quote:

In August 2017, Whedon's ex-wife, Kai Cole, published an essay on an industry trade site accusing Whedon of 15 years of multiple infidelities and the hypocrisy of touting feminist ideals while using their marriage "as a shield" for his misuse of power.[286] A Whedon spokesperson said the essay contained "inaccuracies and misrepresentations".[287]

Is a spokesperson the rich guy equivalent of instagramming a notes app screenshot ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s weird that we live in a culture so hosed up that it’s impossible to know whether an old man who only makes tv shows about waifish young women who are powerful and also frequently brutalized and raped is the result of personal pathology or just usual tv market forces.

But I feel like if you put all the women he likes to cast together in a lineup, you might notice some similarities that seem a little uncomfortable. Probably that’s also true of the women he hired for production and the writers’ room.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

firefly is mediocre and would've been cancelled anyway

some good ideas, awful execution, boring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s weird that we live in a culture so hosed up that it’s impossible to know whether an old man who only makes tv shows about waifish young women who are powerful and also frequently brutalized and raped is the result of personal pathology or just usual tv market forces.

But I feel like if you put all the women he likes to cast together in a lineup, you might notice some similarities that seem a little uncomfortable. Probably that’s also true of the women he hired for production and the writers’ room.

Isn't that more or less the excuse he used 'I'm a man in Hollywood, that's just how things go' and all

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

super sweet best pal posted:

Listen to the commentary, they pretty much acknowledge it.

James Cameron openly has a fetish for tall muscular women but him putting in minutes of gratuitous shots of women in tank tops doing pull ups in his movies has him hailed as a feminist icon and literally ordering the animators of Avatar to make the lady Navi look exactly like his personal amazonian giantess alien sex fantasy never stuck in the same way that five seconds of a single woman not wearing shoes almost 20 years ago did to Joss Whedon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Firefly was okay. It had some neat bits, it had some weird bits. I was never really comfortable with the whole fancy prostitute thing. The theme song was kinda forgettable and I confuse it with the one for Wormtooth Nation. There were some hints at a greater story, but it Joss Whedon had any interesting ideas for a narrative, he never got around to anything. There wasn't enough story there to pine for what could've been.

Didn't like the Reavers. I get that the idea of bloodthirsty raiders who you need to protect yourself against is key to a lot of the whole "wild west" thing, but it seems cheap to make them this totally subhuman thing that spreads virally through trauma victims, and the movie's added backstory wasn't particularly any better.

I liked the board game though, which doesn't get into the weird particulars and just had players roaming around doing deliveries, hiring crew, dodging cops, and hunting down other players for bounties.

Sleeveless posted:

James Cameron openly has a fetish for tall muscular women but him putting in minutes of gratuitous shots of women in tank tops doing pull ups in his movies has him hailed as a feminist icon and literally ordering the animators of Avatar to make the lady Navi look exactly like his personal amazonian giantess alien sex fantasy never stuck in the same way that five seconds of a single woman not wearing shoes almost 20 years ago did to Joss Whedon.

Everyone knows Quentin Tarantino is the big hollywood foot fetish guy anyways.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Whedon is creepier than JC because the objects of his obsession seem young. JC likes buff women, not girls. It’s a weird distinct I admit.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I liked the board game though, which doesn't get into the weird particulars and just had players roaming around doing deliveries, hiring crew, dodging cops, and hunting down other players for bounties.

I kinda want to try the board game.

The tabletop RPG for it was a hot mess using a weird d6 system. I ran a campaign that went for just over a year until the party basically crashed and burned as any ttrpg campaign may after a long run.
Also the game book/player handbook or what have you has Chinese phrases in the back so that players can get really into the Firefly spirit and setting but after maybe the first few times any faux-Chinese was used, it went to a very cringey place very fast.

In fact that's one of the sins of the show that I never really got over.
On one hand it was cool of Jo Sweden to have English and pidgin Chinese be the spoken languages in the show and setting since we're led to his vision of the future dominated by spacefarers and colonists from mostly an anglo and a sino starting point, but on the other it was really hackey because it was almost exclusively swear words and disses used to get around censors and it never went any deeper than that gimmick. Then for being a post-civil war reconstruction tale but set in space there was a major lack of Spanish.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot of cases in entertainment where a creator having specific fetishes slightly out of the norm is mistaken for wokeness when in retrospect they're absolutely just as objectifying and sexualised often in even more leery ways

Kinda does't help Whedon seemed to come on the heels of a ton of cases of outspoken and obnoxious male feminists turning out to be various flavours of sex creeps, abusers, enablers and rapists, and I'm p sure at least one murderer

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think it’s both in this case

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

frogge posted:

I kinda want to try the board game.

The tabletop RPG for it was a hot mess using a weird d6 system. I ran a campaign that went for just over a year until the party basically crashed and burned as any ttrpg campaign may after a long run.
Also the game book/player handbook or what have you has Chinese phrases in the back so that players can get really into the Firefly spirit and setting but after maybe the first few times any faux-Chinese was used, it went to a very cringey place very fast.

In fact that's one of the sins of the show that I never really got over.
On one hand it was cool of Jo Sweden to have English and pidgin Chinese be the spoken languages in the show and setting since we're led to his vision of the future dominated by spacefarers and colonists from mostly an anglo and a sino starting point, but on the other it was really hackey because it was almost exclusively swear words and disses used to get around censors and it never went any deeper than that gimmick. Then for being a post-civil war reconstruction tale but set in space there was a major lack of Spanish.

Also weird that a show filmed in Vancouver just couldn’t seem to find any Chinese actors to cast. Just bad luck I’m sure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also this may not be entirely fair of me, but I can definitely see him being the type of guy who berates and criticizes his wife for not being feminist enough or diagnoses internalized misogyny when she disagrees with him.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also this may not be entirely fair of me, but I can definitely see him being the type of guy who berates and criticizes his wife for not being feminist enough or diagnoses internalized misogyny when she disagrees with him.

I was reading up on his bad behavior today and he totally is that sort of hosed up sicko

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

so you're saying that James Cameron is Chad Whedon

:hmmyes:

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Also weird that a show filmed in Vancouver just couldn’t seem to find any Chinese actors to cast. Just bad luck I’m sure.

It was actually filmed in Los Angeles.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’d agree with that. guy basically makes whatever he wants and sets the world on fire nearly every time. No one asked him to make either Terminator or Titanic or Avatar or Aliens but he knew what was best.

Zero focus group poo poo, just make it loud as poo poo and partly aquatic. JC rocks.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

and Cameron afaik never even tried to make his bones with pop feminism, he just wanted to make big money & good movies. if he'd called his movies Sarah the Robot Hunter and Aliens vs Ellen, i'd look at his poo poo in askance.

i flunked out posted:

I watched firefly on mushrooms once. It was not pleasant.

gently caress this show.
looking at brown fuzz through a brown fuzzy haze into brown fuzzy infinity, with guitar & misc. chinese noises.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

T2 and Aliens are both very appropriate to analyse as feminist works. True Lies too but It’s been a long time.

Compared to Josh’s nonsense whore/Madonna/amazon archetypes it’s fuckin baroque.

Anyways back to firefly bullying:

Remember when it accidentally made Adam Baldwin really popular with nerds and he used his platform to pump gamer gate?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Haha yeah. A ton of my friends have Jayne hats, too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

well why not posted:

T2 and Aliens are both very appropriate to analyse as feminist works. True Lies too but It’s been a long time.

Compared to Josh’s nonsense whore/Madonna/amazon archetypes it’s fuckin baroque.

Remember when it accidentally made Adam Baldwin really popular with nerds and he used his platform to pump gamer gate?

His real name is Joe Hill Whedon. That he doesn’t go by that baller loving name shows that he is an enemy of the people and a devil.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well why not posted:

I remember that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember when it came out a friend hounded me to watch it and I was like yo this girl from a box thing seems really bad and also this feels like a knockoff of Outlaw Star right down to the trappings of Chinese stuff except the spaceships dont fight in hand to hand combat and he was pissed that I implied Firefly could be seen as boringly derivative in anyway.

Anyway the point of that story is we were both losers but somehow the anime had more episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

well why not posted:

When the show was on Fox had a message board for the show, and I guess to get people engaged they had the actors post on it and make threads and poo poo. Adam Baldwin posted the most out of everyone and there were hundreds of shocked replies when he posted about how George W Bush was a real American man who was going to liberate Iraq and he got so pissed off about Firefly fans being liberals that he quit posting. He even chased down one poster on the John Doe message board that Fox also made in order to berate that person.

I think the other actors just posted the minimum number of required times and like posted banana bread recipes. Nathan Fillion posted about his favorite comic book store in Edmonton, Alberta.

2002 was weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, I feel like Adam Baldwin and Jayne seem like they have a whole lot in common, kinda like Jerry Doyle and Garibaldi.

Within the fiction, you see that they can be very nice to their immediate friends and family despite their gruff nature, but if you zoom out, most of the world happens to not be in their immediate friends and family, so it looks a lot worse in reality.

Barudak posted:

I remember when it came out a friend hounded me to watch it and I was like yo this girl from a box thing seems really bad and also this feels like a knockoff of Outlaw Star right down to the trappings of Chinese stuff except the spaceships dont fight in hand to hand combat and he was pissed that I implied Firefly could be seen as boringly derivative in anyway.

Anyway the point of that story is we were both losers but somehow the anime had more episodes.

Space westerns had been done many times by the time that Firefly came about, but I think Firefly definitely went harder on the aesthetic than most. Although most westerns don't mention the civil war, that was a weird choice.

It can be a weird fit sometimes, since the intense individualism at the heart of westerns is pretty antithetical to the whole setup of a small crew having to live in close quarters with eachother. But I guess there's not a lot of nautical TV and movies to copy off of. Cowboys also often can scrape by and life off the land if they get marooned, but sailors and spacemen know for certain that they're probably dead if stranded in the middle of nowhere with nobody to pick them up.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

well why not posted:

True Lies too but It’s been a long time.

True Lies is super loving gross, it's all about this weird paternalism where a man gaslights his wife to the point where she fears for her life and she and her family are placed in mortal danger due to her husband's insecurity and he's ultimately validated because it fixes their relationship issues and lets her prove that she's truly devoted to him. Like there's a scene where the wife is forced to do a striptease under fear of death and it's portrayed as super sexy and cool, just really abhorrent stuff. To say nothing of how racist it is.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is it under fear of death? I thought it was someone threatening that her husband would lose his job or something. I haven't seen it in a long rear end time

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When the show was on Fox had a message board for the show, and I guess to get people engaged they had the actors post on it and make threads and poo poo. Adam Baldwin posted the most out of everyone and there were hundreds of shocked replies when he posted about how George W Bush was a real American man who was going to liberate Iraq and he got so pissed off about Firefly fans being liberals that he quit posting. He even chased down one poster on the John Doe message board that Fox also made in order to berate that person.

I think the other actors just posted the minimum number of required times and like posted banana bread recipes. Nathan Fillion posted about his favorite comic book store in Edmonton, Alberta.

2002 was weird.

Hahaha, hahaha.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Cowboy bebop is good

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i totally forgot about the time James Cameron turned his filthy disgusting post-divorce power fantasy into an action movie when I called him a chad lol

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve continued my reading on joss and this guys a real piece of work. Not a good look to be into his shtick Imo with all the weird rape stuff around him.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although most westerns don't mention the civil war, that was a weird choice.

???? The Civil War is mentioned or present in a ton of westerns.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

???? The Civil War is mentioned or present in a ton of westerns.

I think he means most westerns don't have the main cast being unrepentant confederates

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess I haven't seen enough westerns then, it never seems to figure in the ones I've seen.

Most of the war was out east anyways.

Abongination posted:

Cowboy bebop is good

A sci-fi anime thread would probably do well on this subforum.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda liked it back when it first aired, but yeah, it did not age well. Also Joss Whedon can go gently caress himself.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Up Circle posted:

I think he means most westerns don't have the main cast being unrepentant confederates

uhhhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjrx0TjJN6M

here's eileen jones writing about how many confederate western protagonists there are. a lot westerns portray characters who were former confederate soldiers trying to rebuild their life or seek revenge after they tragically lost the war. it's hosed up.

quote:

After Birth of a Nation, it was no longer acceptable in American films to feature the heroic Ku Klux Klan riding to the rescue of nobly suffering Southern whites, but filmmakers found it easy enough to substitute a heroic Southern vigilante whose violent acts are justified by his suffering under the barbarism of invading Northerners.

That scenario is the catalyst for innumerable American films, from the first of many celebrations of Jesse James, Lost Cause hero and ex-Quantrill Raider-turned-bank-robber, in the 1908 film The James Boys in Missouri through the 1976 Clint Eastwood film The Outlaw Josey Wales to 1999’s Ride with the Devil. Thousands of romanticized Southerners ride through the Western genre wearing their lost honor culture like invisible suits of knightly armor: stoic heroes (Gary Cooper as The Virginian), gentleman reprobates seeking redemption (John Carradine as Hatfield in Stagecoach), and perpetually angry, tragi-comic sidekicks (Elisha Cook Jr as Stonewall in Shane).
https://jacobinmag.com/2015/08/civil-war-cinema-confederacy-keaton-lost-cause

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I was wrong.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Up Circle posted:

Is this one of those terminally online positions brought up to shitpost, like people claiming that the Jedi Order are actually the Nazis in star wars?

Or did you just assume that since they lost their war, just like the confederacy, they were also slave owners?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought the brown coats were everything that southern pride types claim they represent. Freedom, earthy charm, independence etc. minimal slavery, probably less than their opposition?

They’re presented as good guys but nothing is actually ever stated why these planets are so dead set on being independent to the point of losing a war over it. At least the south had a point of difference that was understandable if abhorrent. The federation and brown coats seem to have largely the same values, just a different aesthetic.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly, I feel like Adam Baldwin and Jayne seem like they have a whole lot in common, kinda like Jerry Doyle and Garibaldi.

Within the fiction, you see that they can be very nice to their immediate friends and family despite their gruff nature, but if you zoom out, most of the world happens to not be in their immediate friends and family, so it looks a lot worse in reality.

He has more than a bit in common with his Animal Mother role too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

well why not posted:

I thought the brown coats were everything that southern pride types claim they represent. Freedom, earthy charm, independence etc. minimal slavery, probably less than their opposition?

They’re presented as good guys but nothing is actually ever stated why these planets are so dead set on being independent to the point of losing a war over it. At least the south had a point of difference that was understandable if abhorrent. The federation and brown coats seem to have largely the same values, just a different aesthetic.

Without the movie Serenity all you get is this vague sense of outer planets far from the core fighting for their independence since they want to rule themselves. There's never any reason given, just freedom.
In the movie we learn that the alliance are trying to manipulate the masses with mind control and that is how the reavers came about. If that is connected to why the independents fought their war or not is never outright said one way or the other as far as I remember. It does make a convenient, even justified bogeyman out of the alliance for those already inclined that think "big government bad, small ragtag group good" thanks to the magic of retconning.